Thread: PBO Alpine wireless adapter compatibility? (PCUSBW1150 with Stock FW)

Thumbs down PBO Alpine wireless adapter compatibility? (PCUSBW1150 with Stock FW)

What wireless adapter is compatible with the Patriot PBO Alpine? Documentation for wireless devices is non-existent on this product, and Patriot’s own PCUSBW1150 adapter isn't supported with production firmware. Neither are the following adapters (with any firmware): Gigafast WF741-UIC, Linksys WUSB54G, Linksys WUSB54GSC, Netgear WG111, and Microsoft MN-710.

The lack of documentation raises concern, and when alpha firmware is required to detect a product made by the same company raises a red flag.
    Last edited by Das Capitolin; 05-24-2012 at 03:00 PM.

Hello,

Our wireless 150 (PCUSBW1150) should definitely work with any of the Alpine's stock fw. Can you try both the front and back ports? Furthermore, can you troubleshoot the adapter by plugging it into another computer to see if it picks up any wi-fi signals?

PCUSBW1150 doesn't get detected with firmware 1.1.0, and only works with pbo_alpine_matrix_alpha firmware.

Since matrix_alpha firmware makes the menu much slower, I will re-flash back to firmware 1.1.0 and re-test to see if it picks up PCUSBW1150 this time. It would not see any wireless network before, so if it doesn't again I'll just wrap up my review and add it to the report.
    Last edited by Das Capitolin; 05-24-2012 at 05:18 PM.

Ben: reflashing and testing is done, here's the report:

Production firmware 1.1.0 (Alpine.Firmware.20120417) does NOT support the Patriot PCUSBW1150 wireless-G adapter (as many have already reported).
    Experimental firmware pbo_alpine_matrix_alpha SUPPORTS the Patriot PCUSBW1150, but has a much slower menu interface.
    None of these firmware enable support for the following adapters: Gigafast WF741-UIC, Linksys WUSB54G, Linksys WUSB54GSC, Netgear WG111, and Microsoft MN-710.

New beta (not final) firmware "MB86M10.MpFirmware.2012-05-30.fw" sent to me works fine and supports Patriot PCUSBW1150 wireless-G adapter.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/p3s0ehm5x9myjfj/-JXBwtllsh

The Patriot WI-FI PCBOWAU2-N adapter works with Alpine.