Thread: Choppy video over network

Default Choppy video over network

I have a network setup with an Apple Time Capsule functioning as a media server. This worked very well with my PBO Core.

Overall, files served via ethernet to the Alpine are choppier than they were in the same setup with the Core. Is this to be expected, and is it addressable? I assume the ethernet port is only 10/100 in both, right?

I certainly hope they can address it with a firmware update. Out of the box i wasnt able to even stream a SD video over the network (very choppy). So after a firmware update i am to stream SD videos but HD is out of the question. I had zero issues with my PBO Core streaming 1080P blue ray rips over the network. I really like the device, i just hope they can get some of these issues sorted out so i can keep it!

This problem is becoming more and more frustrating. There are frequent (every 3-4 minutes) skips in videos that played with no problem with the Core. These are kids' movies that we ripped to make it simpler for them to browse and play, so they have been played countless times on the previous box - we know them to be fine rips. The Alpine is having far more problems playing average sized files (4-8 GB) over the network than our Core did. Given the faster processor, I have to assume this is a firmware problem. Correct?