Thread: 5 GHz USB adapters

Default 5 GHz USB adapters

So here is my dilemma.

When I plug the Alpine in with an Ethernet cable I am unable to stream my HD MKVs. They are very close to smooth but noticeably drop frames. Like 90% smooth. I assume the network port on the Alpine is 10/100.

I have the PCBOWAU2-N Wireless N USB Adapter which can do 300 mbs on 2.4 GHz wireless.
    My router can do 300 mbs but only on the 5 GHz band. I can't bond channels to 40 MHz on 2.4 GHz to get faster speeds. I am stuck at 150 mbs or slower. When I check my wireless signal on the Alpine is comes through as weak with a speed of 72 mbs. This is from 20 feet away from the router.

I want to try using a 5 GHz wireless USB adapter and see if I can then get a better signal and stream my movies which was the main reason I purchased this unit.

Can anyone direct me to a specific USB adapter or chipset for an adapter that will work with the Alpine and do 5 GHz wireless? Thank you in advance.

gonzo98x,

What make and model 5 GHz adapter are you using (or looking to use)? If you provide this we can check the compatibility and/or look to include the support with the unit.

I was hoping you or someone would recommend one for me to use.

I have tried
    Linksys AE 2500
    Belkin N750
    Netgear N600

None of them are recognized by the alpine. Do you have suggestions PatriotBen?

If not, then I'll just return this product. I have the original PBO. The very first one and other than the same lackluster networking support, it fills the role of a media player for now.
    It would have been nice for patriot to have a lost of working adapters or at least chipsets like they did with the core.

I can confirm that Patriot believes PCUSBW1150 works with PBO Alpine, but as of firmware 1.1.0 it is NOT recognized by the unit. Neither are the following adapters: Gigafast WF741-UIC, Linksys WUSB54G, Linksys WUSB54GSC, Netgear WG111, and Microsoft MN-710.

PCUSBW1150 is said to work with this alpha firmware:
    http://www.patriotmemory.com/forums/...Alpha-Firmware