Thread: return/warranty: sensitive data on flash drive + replacement new/refurbiished

Default return/warranty: sensitive data on flash drive + replacement new/refurbiished

Hi:
    I have a Xporter 32GB Rage USB which is not functioning now and is still under warranty. I was hoping folks could answer two questions about returns:

(1) What is done with the returned drive.
    I have sensitive data on the drive. I was planning on reformatting and overwriting using a tool like Eraser, but apparently this does not remove the data due to wear leveling: http://superuser.com/questions/37178...-a-flash-drive
    Can someone from Patriot let me know what is done with the returned drives?

(2) What do you get back
    I read through the warranty and I am not sure that I will actually be getting the same drive back. It seems that non-Patriot components and/or refurbished drives are possible.
    Can someone from Patriot let me know what exactly I would expect to receive?

Thanks for your help!
    MP

Quote Originally Posted by MadProfessor View Post
    Hi:
    I have a Xporter 32GB Rage USB which is not functioning now and is still under warranty. I was hoping folks could answer two questions about returns:

(1) What is done with the returned drive.
    I have sensitive data on the drive. I was planning on reformatting and overwriting using a tool like Eraser, but apparently this does not remove the data due to wear leveling: http://superuser.com/questions/37178...-a-flash-drive
    Can someone from Patriot let me know what is done with the returned drives?

(2) What do you get back
    I read through the warranty and I am not sure that I will actually be getting the same drive back. It seems that non-Patriot components and/or refurbished drives are possible.
    Can someone from Patriot let me know what exactly I would expect to receive?

Thanks for your help!
    MP
    Hey MadProfessor,

I just spoke with an Operations Manager who's in charge of the rework process and our drives basically get re-worked if they are salvageable. The chips do get zero formatted before they are reused.

Furthermore, the replacement drive itself should be new in unopened packaging still, unless special testing is required.

Hi Ben:

Thanks for the quick reply: very much appreciate it!
    Just so I understand. when a chip is zero formatted does that mean all bits on it are unrecoverable? Sorry this is a bit outside my technical expertise.

MP