Thread: Can't Connect via Wired LAN

Unhappy Can't Connect via Wired LAN

I recently purchased a new netbook and decided to get around to connecting my PBO to it. Previously I had simply plugged a portable hard drive to it and ran it through my home theater system. I've now been trying for several weeks to get it to reliably connect and I'm at my wit's end.

I first made sure I had upgraded to the newest firmware I could find (I don't even remember which version it is anymore, but I can try to hunt it down if needed). Since then I've tried both connecting directly to my netbook with a cable and using the wireless adapter.

I've had more success with the wireless, but it's really hit or miss if it connects and even then it's only through UPNP , which doesn't seem to be an option if I want to copy files to the external hard drive I have plugged in. (Oddly, the PBO was able to find the media software on my old netbook which was set up for the ZyXel DMA 1100.)

In the PBO Network Set Up Menu the Wired Lan Setup just keeps saying "On : DHCP Not Ready !!" I tried to let it do the automated setup and that didn't work, so I tried the manual route, with no success. I'm pretty sure I got all the IP addresses correct (pulled from ipconfig/all). I checked to make sure the files I wanted to access were shared, but I don't see the shared folder icon on the folder like I'm used to in XP. I don't know if this is an issue because my netbook has a limited version of Windows on it (Windows 7 Starter).

The Wireless Setup was working intermittently, but I would have to unplug the dongle to get it to see my computer after it lost the connection. Have have a guest account on my router which it doesn't seem to want to connect to, and for the life of me I can't remember the password to the router (Linksys E3000) to add the PBO to the network map, so I'm actually not sure how am able to see anything on my netbook. I'm at the point now that I have no clue what I did and I just restored the default settings in the hopes something would fall into place and I can't remember which steps I took previously to get it to connect .

At least I got my universal remote to work ok with it :-)

So naturally I made some progress not long after hitting the submit button. I got the PBO to connect via my router (tried one of the other options and press the button on my router), but now it's asking for my Net User ID. Typically I log into my guest account since it's a pain to add devices manually (and then there's the whole "I can't remember my password" thing).

I know I have entered my network name and password correctly. And why does it ask for my network name? Is this asking for the information on my netbook?

I searched the forums and found the trick about naming my Windows account and adding a password (that's irritating!) so now I see my computer and just have to figure out how to share the folders. At this rate I'll have the dang thing figured out before anyone else does