Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: How to setup SAMBA file sharing on Alpine player so it is accessible from a network

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    126

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by snappy46 View Post
    I had some time to investigate the drive sharing issues and I was able to modify the smb.conf file to include my Ext3 connected drive as a network share without any issues. My original problem was that the smb.conf was being rewritten when samba was enabled. There is an option in the samba settings to stop that from happening "Dont rewrite smb.conf" ... this is the last options in the setting menu. Anyhow once you enable that option you can manually edit smb.conf to your liking. The smb.conf file reside in the "/data/data/com.funkyfresh.samba/files/" directory; you will need to be root to edit it. Just as an example this is what my smb.conf currently looks like:
    Code:
    # Auto-generated by com.funkyfresh.samba
    #
    #
    # smb.conf last written on 2012-05-15_22-37-10  app build 111105d
    #
    #
    # Manual edits of smb.conf are not supported.
    #
    #
    # Sharing of non FAT based filesystems is unsupported. Do so at your own peril.
    #
    #
    [global]
    interfaces = wlan0 eth0
    bind interfaces only = yes
    workgroup = WORKGROUP
    server string = Samba on Android
    netbios name = ANDROID
    remote announce = 255.255.255.255
    encrypt passwords = yes
    security = USER
    restrict anonymous = 1
    load printers = no
    printcap name = /dev/null
    disable spoolss = yes
    deadtime = 5
    delete readonly = yes
    nt acl support = no
    inherit permissions = yes
    socket options = SO_SNDBUF=16384 SO_RCVBUF=16384
    local master = no
    unix extensions = yes
    
    
    [sdcard]
    vfs objects = fake_perms
    comment = Android /mnt/sdcard
    path = /mnt/sdcard
    force user = root
    read only = no
    writable = yes
    guest ok = no
    [share2]
    vfs objects = fake_perms
    comment = Android /mnt/usb81
    path = /mnt/usb81
    force user = root
    read only = no
    writable = yes
    guest ok = no
    [share3]
    vfs objects = fake_perms
    comment = Android /mnt/usb817
    path = /mnt/usb817
    force user = root
    read only = no
    writable = yes
    guest ok = no
    sdcard = sdcard inserted in the PBO Alpine
    share2 = FAT32 16 GB USB Stick
    share3 = EXT3 formated External USB Drive

    I was able to play a 720P movie that reside on my USB Drive that is connected to the PBO Alpine [share3] to my laptop (wireless connection) without any problems which tells me that the share speed thru the samba server is not too bad at all. I will try to copy some files when I have a chance. I do not have a NTFS drive to try but I am guessing that this would probably work fine as well.

    Cheers !!!
    Hey snappy46 thanks a million for the headsup - I got everything working. Took a lot back alleying to get it all in place but it's all done and working.

    THANKS PAGEAUC for slow dancing us to the goal line!!!

  2. #12
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Hey thanks for the followup!

    Update: I updated the Alpine to the new matrix alpha firmware rev2. z4root & Samba installed and rooted permanently without problems. But I still cannot see my "share2" USB drive on my PC. Under the "Other File Sharing Options" menu item, I selected "Second Shared Folder" option and selected the mounted drive (usb81) to share by pressing enter. The menu item dot turned green to indicate it is selected, then I pressed OK. But when I select "Second Shared Folder" again to confirm it is selected, the green dot is no longer there. Is this a known problem?

    By the way, how come my sd card does not have a smb.conf file??

    Quote Originally Posted by snappy46 View Post
    I had some time to investigate the drive sharing issues and I was able to modify the smb.conf file to include my Ext3 connected drive as a network share without any issues. My original problem was that the smb.conf was being rewritten when samba was enabled. There is an option in the samba settings to stop that from happening "Dont rewrite smb.conf" ... this is the last options in the setting menu. Anyhow once you enable that option you can manually edit smb.conf to your liking. The smb.conf file reside in the "/data/data/com.funkyfresh.samba/files/" directory; you will need to be root to edit it. Just as an example this is what my smb.conf currently looks like:
    Code:
    # Auto-generated by com.funkyfresh.samba
    #
    #
    # smb.conf last written on 2012-05-15_22-37-10  app build 111105d
    #
    #
    # Manual edits of smb.conf are not supported.
    #
    #
    # Sharing of non FAT based filesystems is unsupported. Do so at your own peril.
    #
    #
    [global]
    interfaces = wlan0 eth0
    bind interfaces only = yes
    workgroup = WORKGROUP
    server string = Samba on Android
    netbios name = ANDROID
    remote announce = 255.255.255.255
    encrypt passwords = yes
    security = USER
    restrict anonymous = 1
    load printers = no
    printcap name = /dev/null
    disable spoolss = yes
    deadtime = 5
    delete readonly = yes
    nt acl support = no
    inherit permissions = yes
    socket options = SO_SNDBUF=16384 SO_RCVBUF=16384
    local master = no
    unix extensions = yes
    
    
    [sdcard]
    vfs objects = fake_perms
    comment = Android /mnt/sdcard
    path = /mnt/sdcard
    force user = root
    read only = no
    writable = yes
    guest ok = no
    [share2]
    vfs objects = fake_perms
    comment = Android /mnt/usb81
    path = /mnt/usb81
    force user = root
    read only = no
    writable = yes
    guest ok = no
    [share3]
    vfs objects = fake_perms
    comment = Android /mnt/usb817
    path = /mnt/usb817
    force user = root
    read only = no
    writable = yes
    guest ok = no
    sdcard = sdcard inserted in the PBO Alpine
    share2 = FAT32 16 GB USB Stick
    share3 = EXT3 formated External USB Drive

    I was able to play a 720P movie that reside on my USB Drive that is connected to the PBO Alpine [share3] to my laptop (wireless connection) without any problems which tells me that the share speed thru the samba server is not too bad at all. I will try to copy some files when I have a chance. I do not have a NTFS drive to try but I am guessing that this would probably work fine as well.

    Cheers !!!
    Last edited by Btcoma; 06-15-2012 at 10:47 AM.

  3. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by snappy46 View Post
    I had some time to investigate the drive sharing issues and I was able to modify the smb.conf file to include my Ext3 connected drive as a network share without any issues. My original problem was that the smb.conf was being rewritten when samba was enabled. There is an option in the samba settings to stop that from happening "Dont rewrite smb.conf" ... this is the last options in the setting menu. Anyhow once you enable that option you can manually edit smb.conf to your liking. The smb.conf file reside in the "/data/data/com.funkyfresh.samba/files/" directory; you will need to be root to edit it. Just as an example this is what my smb.conf currently looks like:
    Code:
    # Auto-generated by com.funkyfresh.samba
    #
    #
    # smb.conf last written on 2012-05-15_22-37-10  app build 111105d
    #
    #
    # Manual edits of smb.conf are not supported.
    #
    #
    # Sharing of non FAT based filesystems is unsupported. Do so at your own peril.
    #
    #
    [global]
    interfaces = wlan0 eth0
    bind interfaces only = yes
    workgroup = WORKGROUP
    server string = Samba on Android
    netbios name = ANDROID
    remote announce = 255.255.255.255
    encrypt passwords = yes
    security = USER
    restrict anonymous = 1
    load printers = no
    printcap name = /dev/null
    disable spoolss = yes
    deadtime = 5
    delete readonly = yes
    nt acl support = no
    inherit permissions = yes
    socket options = SO_SNDBUF=16384 SO_RCVBUF=16384
    local master = no
    unix extensions = yes
    
    
    [sdcard]
    vfs objects = fake_perms
    comment = Android /mnt/sdcard
    path = /mnt/sdcard
    force user = root
    read only = no
    writable = yes
    guest ok = no
    [share2]
    vfs objects = fake_perms
    comment = Android /mnt/usb81
    path = /mnt/usb81
    force user = root
    read only = no
    writable = yes
    guest ok = no
    [share3]
    vfs objects = fake_perms
    comment = Android /mnt/usb817
    path = /mnt/usb817
    force user = root
    read only = no
    writable = yes
    guest ok = no
    sdcard = sdcard inserted in the PBO Alpine
    share2 = FAT32 16 GB USB Stick
    share3 = EXT3 formated External USB Drive

    I was able to play a 720P movie that reside on my USB Drive that is connected to the PBO Alpine [share3] to my laptop (wireless connection) without any problems which tells me that the share speed thru the samba server is not too bad at all. I will try to copy some files when I have a chance. I do not have a NTFS drive to try but I am guessing that this would probably work fine as well.

    Cheers !!!
    here's a new question: How do I get to that file to make the changes? I have rooted the device, but now what?

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Canada (ON)
    Posts
    2,080

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Insane Lunatic View Post
    here's a new question: How do I get to that file to make the changes? I have rooted the device, but now what?
    First off you need to get to the Android Linux shell; there are a couple of ways to do that.

    First option: You could install an Android terminal application; there are many out there but I can not confirm which one works since I do not access it that way. Maybe someone else can provide a link to a terminal app that works fine on the PBO Alpine. My guess would be that most of the terminal apps will work and this option is slightly easier than the second option since you will be at the Android Linux shell as soon as you start the application.

    Second option: This is the one I used since I do development on the Android; is to use the Android Debug Bridge "adb". You can have access to this command after you install the Android software development kit (SDK) on your computer. Google is your friend for that one and installation of the SDK is pretty straight forward. To be honest I am not even sure if you need to install the whole SDK; it is possible that just having the adb file is enough??? I don't know. Once you have adb available (/Android-sdk...../platforms-tools/) you can access the PBO Alpine Linux shell by issuing the following command (Dos/Linux prompt):

    Code:
    ./adb connect [PBO_Alpine_IP_Addresss]  ex:   ./adb connect 192.168.1.2
    ./adb shell
    You should now be on the Android linux shell

    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Everything that follows assume that you were successful in accessing the Android Linux shell. All the following commands are issued at the Android linux shell. Now there are also a couple of ways to edit the "/data/data/com.funkyfresh.samba/files/smb.conf" but first off you need to be root so you need to issue the following command:

    Code:
    # su
    Beware that the first time you issue that command you should look at your TV screen because the Root app will ask whether it is ok to allow root access to that shell. Just use the remote control and enter that it is ok always if you do not want to do this everytime you log in as root in a shell.

    Ok you are now a super user (this is like god mode in a game ) and have access to everything and can really screw things up so make sure you type in the command correctly.

    As I mentioned before there are really two ways to edit the file. If you use Z4root to root your PBO Alpine this app also installed busybox for you so you have some extra commands available to you other than the one available in the standard android toolbox. Ok first way is quite easy if you are familiar with the linux "vi" editor and can edit the file right on the PBO Alpine using this command:

    Code:
    busybox vi /data/data/com.funkyfresh.samba/files/smb.conf
    You should now be in the vi editor with file open and able to edit that file to suit your needs; save it and you are done.

    The second way if you just hate "vi" is to copy the smb.conf file to a USB Stick connected to your PBO Alpine and then take that stick to your computer for editing and then copy it back to the PBO Alpine. Beware that on a window machine many editor add stuff; you must use a plain text editor to make the changes; even notepad can cause problem; I recommend notepad++ for any editing on a window machine. Ok here we go with the command required:

    To copy to the USB Stick:

    Code:
    # busybox cp /data/data/com.funkyfresh.samba/files/smb.conf /mnt/usb81/     ----> Substitute usb81 for the proper USB stick mount point
    If you do not have busybox installed you can do the following also:

    Code:
    # cat /data/data/com.funkyfresh.samba/files/smb.conf > /mnt/usb81/smb.conf
    After the editing is done you can copy it back to the PBO by issuing the following commands:

    Code:
    # busybox cp /mnt/usb81/smb.conf /data/data/com.funkyfresh.samba/files/     ----> Substitute usb81 for the proper USB stick mount point
    Without busybox:

    Code:
    # cat /mnt/usb81/smb.conf > /data/data/com.funkyfresh.samba/files/smb.conf     ----> Substitute usb81 for the proper USB stick mount point
    Ok hopefully there aren't any typos in there; I do not have access to my PBO right now so hopefully I have all the paths and filename correct. By the way just as a side note with adb you can also use the command ./adb pull [path/filename] (take file from the PBO to your computer) and ./adb push [path/filename] (take file from your computer and copy them to the PBO).

    Anyhow I hope this helps.

    Cheers!!!

  5. #15
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    19

    Default second drive

    Quote Originally Posted by pageauc View Post
    Hi Snappy

    Thanks for your comments. I have added the steps to add a second shared drive. I had a problem originally getting the second drive to share since I did not hit enter on the drive menu item. This turns the round menu button green to show that it is active. After that I could access the share OK. These little items are what add frustration to users so a detailed procedure that walks them through can be very helpful. That is why I took the time to write the steps out.

    I agree with you that this feature needs to be included in the Alpine firmware and setup to allow easy or automatic setup. The easier for users the better. I know there are trade offs with performance and resources so making it optional is one way to deal with the problem. At any rate SAMBA filesharing really needs to be native just like the PBO box office core player.

    Thanks
    When I try to add a second shared drive ,it tell me it can not locate a FAT drive.I am trying to get to my usb external drive so that I can add or delete files. thanks in advance.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ontario Canada
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Mine just all of a sudden quit! I can navigate to the browsing network shares through my router, but once I try to browse into the drive, I just keeps "browsing". But by seeing how non of these threads are being replied to, I guess I chall just unplug this door stop and purchase a far more reliable one.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Original_Modifier View Post
    Mine just all of a sudden quit! I can navigate to the browsing network shares through my router, but once I try to browse into the drive, I just keeps "browsing". But by seeing how non of these threads are being replied to, I guess I chall just unplug this door stop and purchase a far more reliable one.
    When this, or a host of other problems occur, check the date/time on your PBO. It has likely changed the date to something at the early part of the 20th century, or something in the near future when Patriot will have officially abandoned this product.

    This problem occurs spontaneously and frequently. Prepare to change the date a lot if you want the product you paid for to work. Of course, assuming that Patriot Ben or anyone at Patriot even reads this forum, they well know about it. Whether they care enough to ever send a bug fix is another matter.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Katy, TX
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Once I read down to the part about the external keyboard and the navigation through various black screens, I decided to abandon the project. LOL maybe patriot-Alpine will include a samba fix in the next firmware build, however I'm doubtful for there is not profit return nor any returns being dumped in their lap.I'm happy I can play music now with ver. 3.3. The networking IDEA would be a cool fix incorporated into a firmware build for sure. If the whole world were using these devices I'm sure they would get busy or bow out gracefully.

    supplemental**

    De-pressing the circular enter button from any blank template field with a blinking cursor from the stock remote activates the virtual keyboard feature. This includes the search field for videos @ www.YouTube.com.
    Last edited by Arniceous; 09-08-2013 at 06:30 AM.
    Feel The Need to Seed >TD<

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •