Thread: PBO Alpine/LG LCD Screen Blanks Every Few Minutes

Cool PBO Alpine/LG LCD Screen Blanks Every Few Minutes

While watching movies on my 3 year old LG 120 Hz LCD TV, using the PBO Alpine, every few minutes the screen goes black for several seconds. The movie does not stop playing, and the PBO Alpine is still on, the screen just blacks-out while the movie continues. I updated the PBO firmware as soon as I got the media player. The model of TV is the LG52LG70. If there is no fix for this problem I will need to return the media player to NCIX. The player seems to work on a newer smaller 120 Hz LG LED TV.

I am assuming that you are using the HDMI output; have you tried another HDMI cable? I seems to me like a handshake issue with the HDMI port.

Snappy

Default HDMI Cable

I am using the HDMI cable that came with the PBO Alpine. The cable and the PBO both work on another LG TV. I will try one of my other HDMI cables on the 52" LG TV and see if it helps. Thanks.

Default HDMI Cables

I have tried three different HDMI cables and four HDMI ports on the three year old LG TV but I still get the black-outs while watching movies from a USB source (finger drives and three terabyte external drive) with the PBO Alpine. I also watched some YouTube music videos, by connecting an Ethernet cable to the PBO, but I still get the blackouts every few minutes.

I have tested the three year old LG TV HDMI ports and cables with Insignia and LG blu-ray players and have watched movies and YouTube videos on the blu-ray players, via Netflix, Blu-ray/DVD, USB finger drives and Ethernet and never have any problems. The blackouts start when I use the PBO Alpine.

The PBO Alpine still seems to work fine on the smaller one year old LG TV. I have watched movies and YouTube music videos without the blackout problem.

Thanks

Well, if another cable did not fix the issue then it is probably a compability issue between the PBO Alpine and your LG TV. If you forward the specific of your LG TV (model#) Patriot might be able to look into the problem. I do not suspect a hardware problem since it works fine with your other TV. I also have a 3 year old LG 47" TV but do not have the issues you reported. You could always look on the internet to see if they have a firmware update for your TV and try to install it and see if the problem goes away. Other than that I suggest you just return the unit.

Snappy

Default Firmware Upgrade

I checked the LG site for a firmware update for my TV but there was nothing.
    The model number for my LG TV is 52LG70-UG.
    The product code is 52LG70-UG.ACCELJM.
    Thanks again for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
    I checked the LG site for a firmware update for my TV but there was nothing.
    The model number for my LG TV is 52LG70-UG.
    The product code is 52LG70-UG.ACCELJM.
    Thanks again for your help.
    I forgot to mentioned in my previous post that you might also want to try to reflash the PBO Alpine firmware to see if the problem persist. Firmware is available here just use the firmware update option of the PBO Alpine.

Cheers !!!