Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: PBO Alpine Matrix Alpha Firmware

Default PBO Alpine Matrix Alpha Firmware

Here is a link to the 'Matrix' firmware for the PBO Alpine (4/21/2012):
    https://rapidshare.com/files/3576531...atrix_alpha.fw

Notes:
    -The firmware is still in the Alpha phase, rebuilt over Android 2.2.

-We added an app for RSS feeds.

-You can change the background by pressing the video button at the home page.

-The button mapping is a little off right now but we are working on updating this later.
    --Mapping Issue: If accessing Browser from main menu, press 'photo' to go back.

-The player is still using Skyviia's platform but this will be upgraded soon.

-Wireless N 150 USB Adapters work, but USB Wireless N 300 does not.

-The PBO Core remote does not work for this yet, only the smaller Alpine remote.

-Browser URL does not work yet. You can access websites by searching in the default Google homepage.

Again, this is still in the Alpha phase... so there's still a bit of work to be done. This is just a preview for you guys to play around with right now.

Updated 5/25/2012
    http://www.filefactory.com/file/27ct...alpine_rev2.fw
    Here is a version that works with the larger PBO Core Remote

Thank You ben for posting this. Are there any instructions for loading it? I am literaly just on my way to NCIX to go pick this up and want to be able to load it when I get home.

Quote Originally Posted by robynb1 View Post
    Thank You ben for posting this. Are there any instructions for loading it? I am literaly just on my way to NCIX to go pick this up and want to be able to load it when I get home.
    robynb1,

It's pretty straightforward. Download the firmware and place it in the root of your usb flash drive. Plug the drive in, go to applications, and then firmware.

The Alpine will do the rest.

Let me know if you need any further help, and what you think of the firmware.

Wink

Great Going to try this out right away.. Thanks !

Anyway to backup previous fw's or can you provide the original fw that came during shipment?

Thanks,
    Tim

The latest (and only firmware that I know of) can be grabbed on the patriotmemory.com website.

Direct link to firmware.

Ok so I gave this firmware a try and here's my likes and dislike;

1) The new home menu selection of all the application is better than stock firmware.
    2) The option to change the home screen background is a nice touch although it does not had much to the functionality of the player. I am sure that adding your own background would be fairly easy once the device is rooted and the location of drawables is known.
    3) The addition of the RSS feed are nice but a lot of polishing to do on that app. Everything seems to be played thru the web browser; video rss feed should automatically launch the video player app without going to the browser.
    4) Setting seems to persist thru a firmware update; for example my network static IP setting stayed after the update. It is possible that this was just some left over from a previous installation??? I am not sure more investigation required.

Dislikes / bugs:

1) Like Patriot_Ben already mentioned the wrong mapping of the remote control is a bit of a pain. Since the stock firmware has the proper mapping I am sure that this issue can be Ironed out fairly quickly.
    2) The option to automatically set time and date using an NTP time server is no longer available.
    3) While browsing the video files we need to see the whole file name (hint: android:ellipsize="marquee" android:marqueeRepeatLimit ="marquee_forever" in the layout file of the video browser). The current abreviated version (ex: myshow_S...xvid.avi vs myshow_S01E03_xvid.avi) makes it impossible to tell which episode I have selected.

In conclusion, overall I think that this firmware is a step in the right direction although a very small step. I would have like to see a file browsing menu available as shown here (browse local, UPnP, Network etc..) and the time/weather bar but this does not seem to be available yet. I guess my biggest beef about this firmware is the lack of changes to the most important application "Video Player" app. I would like to see the same functionality on this player as I have enjoyed with my PBO Core for the past three years (Goto, CM skip, Ins Replay) + everything else that this player does well.

On a side note is PM planning on making the source code of the various app that makes up that firmware available to the general public??? You (Patriot_Ben) made mentioned about a community driven firmware what exactely is meant by that statement???

That's it for now. Looking forward to alpha2 or beta.

Cheers !!!

Snappy

Thanks for the feedback Snappy!

Essentially, the Matrix firmware is an exciting project for us because it is completely built from the ground up. The video player and all the other apps will be rebuilt as well. Rebuilding the platform was the most important part. This Alpha release is proof of concept of the new platform and UI.

Community-driven means that we will be drilling into the needs and wants of the community to build an awesome platform. We are planning to make the SDK public once the firmware is further complete down the road. The reason for this is to make sure the drivers and main components are working right.

The stock firmware being shipped now focuses on the basic functions, where the Matrix firmware will truly tap into the unit's potential.

just tried to do the update and it comes up with a "checksum error".
    ???

Quote Originally Posted by bkhakh View Post
    just tried to do the update and it comes up with a "checksum error".
    ???
    I suggest that you try to download the firmware once more and then try the installation again.

Snappy

Will there be development on an engine that would pull video cover art / description from the internet using something like IMDB?