Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can not see DLNA shares with Static IP

Default Can not see DLNA shares with Static IP

I need some support here with my new PBO Alpine that I just picked up.

First off I will tell you what I currently have....

I have 2 Dlink 323 NAS boxes with all .mkv format h264/mpeg/ts etc... videos,
    mostly setup through the DNLA and a few under network share.

I have 3 PBO Core's setup in the house, all with static IP address's. (connected with cat6 cabling)

Every single PBO and every single video works flawlessly no issues what so ever both on DNLA and Network shared.

So i decided to give the new PBO Alpine a try. Thinking I would just swap one with the Older CORE PBO.

I turned the Alpine on, setup the IP address to static like the older core.

seems to work, it finds the DNS-323 NAS's but wouldn't find any video at all. Nothing...
    I was baffled for days couldn't figure it out.

So today I tried instead of Static I left it to default dhcp and all files on the DNLA section appeared.

I cannot connect to the network share with the username and password, I tried over and over ? why not sure?

(again works with PBO Core)

So now that I can see all the videos in the DNLA section, (why under dhcp and not static is weird, can you look into this please?)
    All videos will not show in the preview box or play, it says it cannot play them.. I tried all boxes and areas. nothing... why is this happening?

I was expected this box to just work just has good as the older PBO CORE, but it seems to be more troublesome,

first with the static IP issue?
    now with the .MKV files not playing at all or even the preview,, gives a cannot play message.....????

I need some help here because I'm a little disappointed that a newer box can't even play the videos that my older PBO Core boxes can play???
    Not impressed...

Your help is appreciated.

Hi LaRocca,

I wish I could help you but I did not have any of the issues you mentioned in your post; but then again I am using Samba network shares not a DLNA server. Could you tell me which DLNA/UPNP server you are using on your NAS .... mediatomb???? I would not mind trying the same here and see if I have the same issues as you do.

Currently I am using Samba server and the PBO Alpine is setup with a static IP and I do not have any problem. I should also mentioned that I do not have any password on my shares but must enter the user name to get access.

As far as for video play I am a little surprised considering that all the videos that I have (mp4, avi, mkv etc...) that the PBO Core can play the PBO Alpine also plays fine with an even better video quality. What I did find however is the total opposite; some file will play fine with the PBO Alpine but will not play or are not seen by the PBO Core; example 3gp videos.

Anyhow I will try some test with my own media server on my PC and see if I encounter the same issues as you have.

Snappy

I have 2 x D-LINK DNS-323 NAS boxes.

I have DNLA media server enabled and directed towards which ever directory I choose. Should I be using something else? on the 323?

ya I'm not sure why on the original PBO Core I have static IP it works no problems.... On the Alpine it doesn't see the video files at all, but does when it's through DHCP mode. So I don't know why this is happening. Ya I don't know why it won't preview or play any videos, but the old CORE has no issues from the same source.

I even tried the new firmware you posted here in the forums, still see's all the videos but will not play any single video.
    But my PBO Core does without any issues...
    Come on guys???? I'm very unhappy,, I'm going on holiday's for a week so when i get back I'm hoping to here some good news..
    THanks

Hi LaRocca,

Please allow us to look into what the issue is and get back to you. Thanks for your patience.

Hi LaRocca,

I tried my media server on my PC "mediatomb"; I have a feeling that this is the same one used on you NAS and did not have any problem to see my videos file see the preview or play them on the PBO Alpine. Those video's were mp4's; the only thing that I notice that was absent from when I use local video files or file on my NAS was the filename, time and resolution that is normally displayed below the preview screen. Considering that the video is being streamed from the media server I think that this is normal since the PBO does not have the whole header to determine those characteristic. I will investigate some more and report here if I find anything or at least able to replicate your symptoms.

Cheers !!!!

Ok, well, Like I mentioned earlier,, my Old PBO boxes play every single .mkv video I have, with no issues at all, I made sure of this.
    Why the new Alpine doesn't baffles me.
    Very Discouraging spending $100+ and it's just sitting there.

Quote Originally Posted by LaRocca View Post
    Ok, well, Like I mentioned earlier,, my Old PBO boxes play every single .mkv video I have, with no issues at all, I made sure of this.
    Why the new Alpine doesn't baffles me.
    Very Discouraging spending $100+ and it's just sitting there.
    I am also baffles with your issue considering that those files are seen by the PBO Core. I tried to share the file on my NAS by turning on the NAS media server and I can see and play all my files without any problems???? I guess I am just lucky; I've seen report from other users with similar issues as yours.

I am afraid that I can not be of anymore help since I can not duplicate your problem over here. For some reasons it appears that the media server on your NAS and the PBO Alpine have some type of compability issue??? Not sure!!

Snappy

Well, this is really not cool, I wish Patriot could give me my money back on this product, because it doesn't work like it claims......????

Ok So I did one more test, I copied one of the videos to a usb stick, and it previewed and played with no problems.
    So this means that the D-LINK 323 NAS Box with UPNP Media Server enabled, the ALPINE does not preview or play the videos, it will only see the files.
    The D-LINK works perfect with the Older COre PBO. So can someone please pick up a D-LINK 323 and test this out and please apply the fix to a firmware. This way I can watch all my vidoes..

Thank you