A long lasting gaming and multipurpose rig?
This seem like a decent rig to play most current and forthcoming PC games? . . . .
- Budget - Within about $1500 (American) [yes I know I go "over" budget, but if Ivybridge and hardrive prices drop, so does the total cost]
- Resolution - At first 1680 x 1050 - Eventually HD (and a dual monitor setup)
- Games / Settings Desired: Everything from DOS era on - High Or ultra
- Country - USA
- Parts that can be reused: Not that I can think of (see current specs as to why)
- Buying Parts: Before the end of the year, hopefully before fall or end of summer
- Will NOT prebuilt
Part list permalink / Part price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated 2012-04-16 22:44 EDT-0400)
- Motherboard: Asus A8N-BR (Pyrite) (1 PCI, 2 DDR2 DIMM, Audio, Video, LAN, IEEE-1394)
- Motherboard Chipset - nVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE, AMD Hammer
- Power Supply: No idea (but it's less than 100 watts, I think)
- Processor: DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2000 MHz (10 x 200) 3800+
- CPU Cooler: A fan
- - DIMM1: Kingston 1 GB DDR2-533 DDR2 SDRAM (5-4-4-12 (at) 266 MHz) (4-4-4-12 (at) 266 MHz) (3-3-3-9 (at) 200 MHz)
- - DIMM2: Kingston 2G-UDIMM 2 GB DDR2-667 DDR2 SDRAM (5-5-5-15 (at) 333 MHz) (4-4-4-12 (at) 266 MHz) (3-3-3-9 (at) 200 MHz)
- Hard Drive: 250 GB ATA drive
- OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit
And what I wanted in a new system:
- USB 2.0 speeds that are minimum of 30 MB a second
- USB 3.0 speeds that are at lest 300+ MB/s [I will get / use an SSD]
- Firewire (and or eSata port) --- because I have a external hardrive that has both along with USB
- At lest a solid terabyte (1.5 TB)
- Supports VGA, DVI & HDMI - Current monitor supports former two but the computer only supports VGA (and that's what I'm using @ the moment).
- Multi card reader (although I mainly need SD and Memory Pro Stick Duo)
- Able to use a PS3 controller AND A XBOX 360 controller (yes I know 360 is native support . . .)
- I would like a quad core.
- Multiple internal DVD drives - Also to make installations faster
- Plenty of 3.5/5.25 drive bays . . .
- Windows 7 Ultimate (64 bit) (Main OS) -- Mostly for languages
- May first run Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit - as I have both 32/64 bit discs now)
- Windows XP (if 64 bit won't run some of the games I have) (if needed)
- Folding@home - (although I use my PS3 for that when I'm not using it
- Will use steam:
- Batman Arkham (Asylum/City)
- Bejeweled 2/3
- Bioshock (1/2) (perhaps infinite)
- Call of Duty
- Commander Keen (All)
- Doom (all)
- Elder Scrolls (Morrowind -> Skyrim)
- L.A. Noire
- Portal 1 & 2
- Quake (all)
- Sonic Generations
- Wolfenstein (all)
anything else that interests me
- Will use CD/DVD's of the games I have:
- Diablo 1 - 3 (when it comes out)
- Simcity 4000 & Rushhour
- The Sims 1 - And all expansions
- The Sims 2 (probably)
- Warcraft 2 - Tides of Darkness & Beyond the Dark Portal
- Warcraft 3 - Reign of Chaos & Frozen Throne
- May use emulation (to run up to the PS2/Wii)
- I will wait for some parts (hard drives, GPU, etc) to drop in price.
- Will wait for IvyBridge. . . .
- I WANT UEFI, NOT regular old BIOS (that this slimline has)
- May eventually like a dual GPU (crossfire?)
- First and foremost: Full HD
- Dual Monitor setup (at some point)
- Supports: HDMI, DVI, Displayport (if the motherboard of the computer does)
- Within 1 - 2 MS response time (current monitor is 5 MS response time)
- Screen size - 24 to about 27 inches
- I do really want monitor suggestions. Should also support HDCP, if needed.
Last edited by dlf; 04-17-2012 at 02:45 AM.