Thread: PBO can't detect my mkv/mp4 files

Default PBO can't detect my mkv/mp4 files

Hello,

I connected my PBO via ethernet and i successfully accessed my video files on my PC. However i noticed that MKV files and mp4 files are not being detected by my PBO.

For example: "toy story.mkv" file is not detected at all as if it doesnt exist via UPNP or NET on the PBO menu BUT if i copy this same "toy story.mkv" file in the a usb drive and plug it into the PBO directly it will now see the file and play it with no problem.

Kindly help.

Quote Originally Posted by undecided View Post
    Hello,

I connected my PBO via ethernet and i successfully accessed my video files on my PC. However i noticed that MKV files and mp4 files are not being detected by my PBO.

For example: "toy story.mkv" file is not detected at all as if it doesnt exist via UPNP or NET on the PBO menu BUT if i copy this same "toy story.mkv" file in the a usb drive and plug it into the PBO directly it will now see the file and play it with no problem.

Kindly help.
    Hmmm! I don't have any problem to see either thru the network; which firmware are you using. You don't have picture/image selected on the net browser vs "All" by any chance.

I'm using [Beta] Release P70R2 (Apr 04 2011)
    ES-51-283G-PCMPBO25-P70-2 [Only for Bootcode 18 or higher]*

I'm pretty sure I'm using "all" but it really doesn't show up. Help pls

I'm using [Beta] Release P70R2 (Apr 04 2011)
    ES-51-283G-PCMPBO25-P70-2 [Only for Bootcode 18 or higher]*

I'm pretty sure I'm using "all" but it really doesn't show up. Help pls
    The only selection that could stop mkv/mp4 to show up would be to have "photo" selected (above the browsing window) when you are browsing your net folder. Also the PBO is case sensitive; therefore it must be ".mkv" or ".mp4", "MKV" for example would not show up. Your PC is running Windows or something else????

I must admit I am really not sure why you can not see those specific files; possibly a corrupted firmware ???? I don't know ???? Have you tried to flash your firmware back onto the PBO???? I really doubt that this is the problem but you never know. Do you have any other symptoms????

Snappy46

I'm using windows7. I would try renaming my files to .mkv in case they are labeled as MKV. Ive tried flashing it already hoping it will solve the problem but no luck

I'm using windows7. I would try renaming my files to .mkv in case they are labeled as MKV. Ive tried flashing it already hoping it will solve the problem but no luck
    Same problem here, emailed support but no reply. My files are lower case.

Solved it already. Use network and not UpNp and it solves the prob. Also make sure your videos are on your "public" folder on your PC

Could you elaborate on this please, including what you did to solve it? I just got my PBO and I'm having a very similar issues where some files show up and some do not. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it in regards to file type, and they are all in the same shared folder. I'm using UPNP and a wired connection.

For example, some .mp4 files show up just fine, some do not appear at all, BUT (here's the weird part), if I take those same .mp4 files and plug them into the PBO on a USB stick...they show up just fine.

Since no one has responded yet, let me try to describe the issue in a little more detail. Perhaps that will help:
    • My PBO has a bootcode of 16 and is currently running the "61" firmware
    • My PBO has a wired connection going directly back to my router (other devices on the network are setup the exact same way; everything end runs to the router directly, there are no intermediate devices)
    • Currently I'm just streaming video from my computer to the PBO using UPNP and the pre-defined "public" folders in Windows 7
    • The various video types (.avi, .mp4, etc.) all play fine
    • Recently however, certain files sporadically do not appear when I attempt to stream them from the "public" folder; however, if these files are loaded onto a USB stick and plugged into the PBO directly, they appear (and play) just fine.

This is what I have tried so far to resolve the issue:
    • Re-flash the "61" firmware on the PBO
    • Update the firmware on the router, since it is handling the UPNP traffic
    • Turn on/off the laptop/PBO
    • Re-check/reset the sharing/streaming options for the Windows 7 public folder
    • Enable BT/Samba on the PBO (not sure why this would matter, but someone said it was a magic fix on another thread)

I'd welcome any other advice/thoughts you folks have in figuring out why this happens and how to resolve it. Thanks!

I'm at my wits end with this too. First off, I'm running Windows 7 and absolutely cannot get the PBO to detect my computer under the NET option, only under UPnP. I recently upgraded to Windows 7 from XP, and always accessed media via NET previously. Second, I can see all other files fine except for .mkv files. I did some googling in regards to having Windows 7 not recognize .mkv files and therefore not sharing them as videos and made some registry changes to no avail. I guess I have 2 issues:

1. How can I get my PBO to see my Windows 7 computer through the NET option?
    2. How can I get my PBO to see .mkv files?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

UPDATE: Stupid fix for the .mkv files - change the extension to .avi and they play fine. Derp. Would still like to fix the underlying issue of course... but I guess it's a workaround for now.
    Last edited by Erebus; 06-02-2012 at 07:49 PM. Reason: Found a workaround