Thread: DDR3 unstable at designated frequency

Default DDR3 unstable at designated frequency

Hello all,

I've bought a PSD32G16002 module a few years ago and was running it at 1600MHz after tweaking the bios for my Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P motherboard. Everything was going great so i decided to buy an identical module to expand my memory. Then I set them to run Dual-Channel unganged (whatever that means).

The computer was running really well, but on some rare occasions i would get a BSoD while gaming. One of only 2 games that it happened in is "World of Warcraft". First i thought it was my graphics card overheating and stuff like that, but after a few weeks i decided to check if it's the memory. I down-clocked the memory to 1333MHz and the problem didn't show up anymore. Then, by reading a lot of benchmark guides I've learned that increasing the voltage might stabilize the components you are overclocking. That's when i got the idea to once again set the frequency to 1600MHz, and up the voltage a bit. I've increased the voltage from 1.6V to ~1.65V and the problem was fixed. No more crashing in WoW

Recently i've upgraded my graphics card to a Radeon 6770 and all was fine, but then i've once again got troubles in a different game. This time it was "Tribes Ascend". The game would crash to desktop on occasion with some exception message, and i think i also had a BSoD once. Once again I decreased the memory frequency to 1333MHz and reset the voltage to the default value of 1.6V. This fixed the problem (the game was stable for long periods, no crashes or BSoDs).

I know these modules aren't really made for gaming, so i'm not even sure if this is to be expected to happen :P but I still hope you can help me out. Should I increase the voltage some more, or look elsewhere for a solution? Here's the rest of my computer specs if you need it:

GA-MA770T-UD3P
    AMD Athlon II 240
    AMD Radeon 6770 1GB
    2 x PSD32G16002 (4GB total)

here are some Cpu-Z screens. I've noticed the tRC timing isn't set properly, but i didn't find that high a value (48) while trying to set the timings manually in the BIOS. Could that tRC thing be the cause for unstability?

Last edited by v0j4; 04-14-2012 at 12:39 PM.

Hello,

You can try increasing the DRAM to 1.70-1.85v. Try increasing the CPU voltage to 1.35-1.40v.

Are you on the latest bios? Try flashing the board to the latest bios if it is not on this.

You can try tweaking the trc to see if it makes a difference but another setting I would look to in the bios is tRFC. Set this to 160ns or higher.

Let me know if this helps. Otherwise you may have to settle for 1333MHz as we only test the rated speeds per stick.

Since you are adding the additional stick it could be stressing the memory controller further.

thank you for the reply i will keep your suggestions for future notice.

now i have a different kind of question. I may be stepping out of bounds with this but i'll keep it short. yesterday i've overclocked my processor a bit, and now my bios is giving me the option to chose between 1333 and 1666MHz for the memory. I've tried running the memory at the higher frequency with some "loosening" of the timings, but it wasn't stable (Prime95 gave an error right away). I've decided to go with 1333MHz for now. i'm posting the screenshot of cpu-z on my current config. seems stable for now (I ran prime95 for about an hour and it was good).

If you could just take a quick glance at the picture and tell me if the timings are optimal I've included the SPD tab for reference. Both the processor and the memory are at stock voltage, and tRFC is set to 110ns i believe. Also, i'm interested in the upper voltage limit for the modules. in your post you said 1.85V. how safe/dangerous is that? Once again, thank you for your time

ps. I have the latest bios, but it won't let me set the tRC value higher than 42 clocks or so.

Hello,

What is your CPU bus speed (HTT/FSB) set to? What is the cpu multiplier set to? Can you also include a screen of the CPU tab?

You shouldn't have an issue with 1.85v. AMD Platforms do not have the same voltage limitations as Intel (1.65v).

here it is:

I've read that the "HT Link" frequency should be kept around 2GHz but the NB Frequency (from the memory tab) is ok to be a bit higher than 2GHz. I was aiming for something like that

Thanks for providing this. Yes, at 3.5GHz, this is a pretty decent overclock from the stock 2.80GHz speeds.

Although you had to downclock the memory speed to DDR-1333, the cl8 (lower latency) should definitely offset that.

Nice work!!

yeah, i did some simple benchmark and the memory seems to run faster now than it did at 1600MHz with all other default clocks. Thanks i'll keep it as it is then.

i've read other threads in the forum, and i really like the customer support here. next time i'm buying memory, it will definitely be patriot :P

bye!