Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Patriot Axle USB 32 GB not working on Windows 7 64 bit

Andre,

Sure no problem.

We’ll be glad to replace the item for you. Please follow these instructions to initiate the replacement:

To Initiate an RMA or items relating to warranty, please visit this link here and under ‘troubleshooting’ select your product from the dropdown box and fill out the info (look at the bottom for ‘start a technical case’):
    http://www.patriotmemory.com/support/techSupportp.jsp

(This link will get your name and contact info into our Support/RMA Portal database. You will then be given a user id and password where you can make replies to your Support/RMA case. Please make a note that you already spoke to a rep regarding your issue. Furthermore afterwards, feel free to login to reply or simply await for the case to be escalated to RMA with further instructions. To escalate the case to rma, please indicate that you’ve spoken to a rep already).

Ben

Hi,

Anyone from Patriot reading this forum...
    Please answer my request dated April 24 07:18AM...3 days ago...

It would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Andre,
    Blainville

Andre,

Let me look into this. Sorry about the delay.

Do you have a case id number I can reference? I can't seem to locate your case (using your registered e-mail address here).

Default I have the same problem

I experienced exactly the same problem as OP.

Bought two Patriot 32GB red AXLE drives and one Patriot 64GB gray AXLE drive. Not one of these three drives was usable under Win7 Pro x64 "out of the plastic package".

All of these show as "no media" to DISKMGMT, although the new hardware is detected properly and a drive letter assigned when the disk is inserted into a USB port.

Further, they show as "no capacity" (i.e. 0 bytes), and the drive letter didn't even appear as a selectable option when I tried to initialize them with GuiFormat which was the only tool I could use successfully to format a 64GB microSDHC (SDXC) SanDisk card to FAT32 under Win7 (when the microSDXC card was inserted into an external SDXC-capable USB card reader).

Having found this thread, I then re-booted to my 32-bit WinXP partition and sure enough, all three cards were (a) detected successfully as initially formatted to FAT32, and (b) were all available to GuiFormat and could be successfully re-initialized by that program.

Thinking that perhaps it was a bad FORMAT to FAT32 by Patriot for all three AXLE drives, after completing the format with GuiFormat under WinXP I re-booted to Win7 x64 and once again inserted the drives. However once again, Win7 x64 was unable to successfully understand the FAT32 formatting of these three cards.

I then re-booted back to 32-bit WinXP which apparently has no problem with 32GB FAT32.

It is obvious to me that the problem is clearly in Win7 x64 and its inability to understand FAT32 on drives of 32GB or larger, unless proper hardware is involved. As I said earlier, I could not read or write my 64GB microSDXC card successfully (with any program including DISKMGMT) when it was inserted into my Cowon J3 music player's external card slot, but I WAS able to read and write successfully when it was inserted into an SDXC-capable external USB card reader... and this WAS under Win7 x64, using GuiFormat!!! http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/ima...1&color_name=2

In other words, I'm certain it's a FAT32 standards issue in Win7 x64 for drives of 32GB or larger, unless some intermediate electronics or firmware (e.g. my SDXC-capable external card reader) can somehow perform whatever is really required to make Win7 x64 happy... which obviously happened in the case of my external card reader solving my dilemma.

I am currently booted back to 32-bit WinXP and am copying 25GB of data over to one of the 32GB AXLE's, since I have to give this data to someone today.

Again, I suspect that the electronic USB interface in the AXLE drive is like the "problem electronics/firmware" in my Cowon J3 player. It simply was not designed to support an inserted microSDHC card larger than 32GB FAT32 and therefore was unusable for successful read/write of the 64GB FAT32 card. With a 32GB FAT32 card inserted it works perfectly, but put a 64GB FAT32 card and the results shown by DISKMGMT in Win7 x64 are all wrong and WRITE fails.

In contrast, the exact same 64GB card inserted into an external SDXC-capable card reader IS 100% successfully supported by Win7 x64 and DISKMGMT, and all programs, and CAN be successfully formatted by GuiFormat to FAT32. Then once that has been done, and loaded with data, the card can be removed from the card reader and inserted into my J3 and it actually CAN be used by the J3 player itself to play music successfully!!! The problem is with the interface to Win7 x64 when the J3 is connected via USB to a PC.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/ima...1&color_name=2

I believe this issue with the electronics in the Patriot AXLE is the same story. Something about how it interfaces to Win7 x64 makes its FAT32 format and content unusable, even though the exact same drive is 100% usable with 32-bit Windows systems. If the USB electronics inside the AXLE were changed to look like my SDXC-capable external card reader, I'll bet the 32GB and larger AXLE drives WOULD be 100% usable under Win7 x64 as well as in 32-bit environments.

Anyway, I was going to return the three drives to Fry's. But now that this thread has shown me how to get around the hard failure using them in Win7 x64 by using them in a 32-bit environment (which thankfully I have available), I can live with this limitation... annoying as it is.

Seems both Microsoft and Patriot are at fault here.
    Last edited by DSperber; 05-01-2012 at 03:13 PM.

Hi,

The 32Gb USB key will be replaced by Patriot.
    Much appreciated.
    Thanks to everyone who tried to help me.

This thread is closed.

Andre

Andre,

Not a problem. Feel free to update this thread with any questions or feedback. We'd be interested to know whether the replacement resolved your issue.

I have had an ongoing interaction with Patriot Support over the past two days, on my own similar experience with two 32GB AXLE drives and one 64GB AXLE drives.

The drive simply will not appear as usable, with any content, to Win7 x64. It shows as "no media", although a drive letter has been assigned when it gets plugged in. Note from the following screenshot that there is NO DRIVE LETTER SHOWN IN THE UPPER PANE, even though there is a drive L shown in the lower pane with "no media" indicated. And Properties for that drive show "0 bytes". Clearly the FAT32 handshake between the AXLE and Win7 x64 is defective.

I was sent the low-level format program, with the suggestion that it might correct whatever might have been improper about its initial format state from the factory.

However (a) the FORMAT program only provides options of FAT and NTFS, not FAT32 which is actually how the drive comes formatted out of the package as seen by Winxp x86, and (b) the FORMAT program doesn't even see the drive as a Patriot drive, even though there is a drive letter assigned, because of the "no media" from Win7 I'm sure.

In other words, the low-level format program is A JOKE!!! It doesn't work, because it can't see the Patriout USB drive, and it won't format to FAT32!!! And if "FAT" really means "FAT32", then they should fix the program to provide the correct text instead of confusing users. So to offer it as a "possible solution" simply speaks to the lack of understanding and appreciation of the issue by the engineers at Patriot.

I was offered an RMA to replace the drives, but I refused. No need to waste any more time on this, when I can use WinXP x86 to deal with the drives. They work perfectly there, even if they fail 100% under Win7 x64, and my time is valuable.

So if you think a replacement RMA for your original drive will fix the problem, I suggest you're naive. I don't think it's a "bad batch". I think there's a fundamental problem (since others have reported the same issue), and Patriot obviously has no idea what it is.

I would like to hear what your experience is with the replacement drive Patriot sends. My intuition is that it will fail for you the same way as the original one did, but I'm still anxious to hear the real results.
    Last edited by DSperber; 05-05-2012 at 05:28 AM.

Dear DSperber,

I completely understand your frustration. I want you to know that we take our product feedback seriously. We have conducted testing with our drives here and cannot replicate the issue. This is the reason why we ask our customers who do experience this issue to send in their problematic drives so that we can take a look at the drive. Furthermore we would not be simply sending you a replacement untested. Our Engineers would gather your system specs and match the testing to ensure that the replacement drive does not exhibit the same issue. We are doing everything we can to address the issue. The fact is we cannot replicate it with the stock we have tested here. Therefore this is the reason why we suggest this as the best course of action.

Quote Originally Posted by Patriot_Ben View Post
    Dear DSperber,

I completely understand your frustration. I want you to know that we take our product feedback seriously. We have conducted testing with our drives here and cannot replicate the issue.
    Ben,

I appreciate your desire to help. Since at this moment I don't have a critical need for using the other 32GB and 64GB drives I purchased, I'll be glad to go through with the RMA process. This will allow you to examine my own drives to see if there's a problem, and it will also allow me to try replacement drives that your engineers are satisfied absolutely DO work in their own 64-bit Win7 environment. You already have my email address, and I have your last email to me providing instructions on how to set up this RMA. I will go ahead with that plan.

Just one more piece of information... I decided to try out my remaining 32GB and 64GB drive by writing something to them in 32-bit WinXP (so that they were no longer "empty" as formatted at the factory by Patriot). Perhaps once data was actually present (having been updated by 32-bit WinXP writing to the drives) that they would now magically become usable in 64-bit Win7.

So that's what I did. I wrote a few hundred megaBYTES of folder/file data to both the 32GB and 64GB drives using 32-bit WinXP (without any problem, of course). Then I "safely removed hardware", removed the drives, and re-booted to 64-bit Win7.

ABSOLUTELY NO CHANGE!!! Both drives remain entirely unusable in 64-bit Win7, appearing in DISKMGMT as "no media" exactly as my earlier screenshots show. Explorer can't use them (and largely hangs up the system trying to see them properly) either.

Anyway, I will start the RMA process. When you receive these two drives they will both be NON-EMPTY, both containing the identical small amount of folder/file data written successfully to them by 32-bit WinXP... but 100% unusable in my 64-bit Win7 desktop environment.

Thank you.

Just in passing, I mention that while I await the RMA replacements for both my 32GB and 64GB Patriot AXLE drives (though I don't have much expectation that they will work any differently in my Win7 x64 systems than the originals did... i.e. TOTAL FAILURE), today I bought a 32GB Maxell USB360 drive that was on special sale for $20.

Brought it home, opened it up, plugged it into my Win7 x64 system, and IT WORKED PERFECTLY!!!! Obviously the Maxell USB360 is 100% compatible with my Win7 x64 system, whereas the Patriot AXLE (both 32GB and 64GB) is 100% incompatible!!

Obviously, the problem is not with my PC, not with Win7 x64, and not with the Maxell USB360 electronics. The problem is with the Patriot AXLE electronics, and something about the way it reports FAT32 information to Win7 x64 is obviously incorrect.

I know, Patriot says "we've tested them on our own Win7 x64 machines and they work fine". But there's obviously something else different about your machines or Win7 setup from mine, because your Patriot AXLE drives fail for me whereas the Maxell USB360 drive works perfectly for me. There has to be something different in the two drives, either how they're low-level formatted for FAT32 or in the USB electronics itself.