Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PXQ316G1866ELQK vs Gigabyte G1-Assassin2 - System won't boot with XMP enabled

Exclamation PXQ316G1866ELQK vs Gigabyte G1-Assassin2 - System won't boot with XMP enabled

Hi, first time poster, long time patriot memory user, looking for a solution to a problem I've never had before.

CPU: i7 3820
    M/B: Gigabyte G1.Assassin2 X79 rev1.0 / F7 bios
    PSU: Corsair AX1200
    VID: Gigabyte GTX580

I just put together a new system and purchased the PXQ316G1866ELQK memory kit (4x4Gb 1866Mhz) and have just installed it and run into problems and am looking for a solution.

RAM appears to work fine at default 1333Mhz with XMP disabled. As soon as you enable XMP and reboot, the system won't boot at all and goes into a non stop restart cycle.

No other settings have been changed. This is a brand new system and everything is working as it should, bar this problem. Help appreciated.

Changing RAM orientation in the slots has no effect.
    Using 2 Ram sticks instead of 4 has no effect.

Hello,

Can you try flashing it to the F9 Bios?
    http://www.gigabyte.com/products/pro...?pid=4046#bios

Let me know if this helps.

I successfully reflashed from F7 to F9 with @bios, but it also has no effect.

Hmmm... that's strange.

Can you try manually setting up the timings to see if this works?

Another thing to try is try enabling the timings per single stick to see if you can narrow down the issues to a stick.

Tried setting the timings to 9-11-9-27 and dram voltage at 1.65v for each stick.
    This made is boot correctly only to go into bios and it said Due to incorrect overclocking/voltage changes it has reset all values.

I noticed the timings it is using at 1333 are different.. 9-9-11-24.

I have included some pics of the bios screens to show the values.

I will try installing individual sticks and manually setting the timings and trying xmp separately, shortly. Standby.

Alright, results. This is done using 1 stick at a time. First testing manual settings with 2 different timings, as when one sticked worked I rechecked all sticks at that working timing. As you can see the one module that did work was not at advertised timings.

Stick 1
    1866mhz 9-11-9-27 = fail - bios won't boot
    1866mhz 9-11-11-27 = fail - bios won't boot
    XMP enabled, Auto All = fail - bios won't boot
    1333mhz, auto all, 9-9-11-24 = ok - os works

Stick 2
    1866mhz 9-11-11-27 = ok - os works
    XMP enabled, Auto All = ok - os works

Stick 3
    XMP enabled, Auto All = ok then fail - locks after bios loaded and before os starts

Stick 4
    XMP enabled, Auto All = fail - bios boots then locks

As can be seen, they all work fine at 1333mhz. I thought I had 2 working modules @1867mhz but when I went to load the OS, one wouldn't get passed the initial bios load screen, where as the other does. It appears only 1 from the 4 sticks actually works and even then at a non advertised timing. I just ran memtest on stick 2, the working stick of ram and so far at 111.7% it's showing zero errors at 1866Mhz 9-11-11-27.

Whats the best plan of attack here? Im in Australia, would it be better to return them to the place of purchase or directly to Patriot?

It might be faster to go with the reseller directly. Otherwise, feel free to go with us...

I’ll be glad to help you begin your rma process. To Initiate an RMA or items relating to warranty, please visit this link here and under ‘troubleshooting’ select your product from the dropdown box and fill out the info (look at the bottom for ‘start a technical case’):
    http://www.patriotmemory.com/support/techSupportp.jsp

(This link will get your name and contact info into our Support/RMA Portal database. You will then be given a user id and password where you can make replies to your Support/RMA case. Please make a note that you already spoke to a rep regarding your issue. Furthermore afterwards, feel free to login to reply or simply await for the case to be escalated to RMA with further instructions. To escalate the case to rma, please indicate that you’ve spoken to a rep already).

Thankyou very much for all your help Patriot_Ben, Gold star for you!
    Item has been returned to place of purchase and refund given.

Quote Originally Posted by BrAdAsS View Post
    Hi, first time poster, long time patriot memory user, looking for a solution to a problem I've never had before.

CPU: i7 3820
    M/B: Gigabyte G1.Assassin2 X79 rev1.0 / F7 bios
    VID: Gigabyte GTX580

I just put together a new system and purchased the PXQ316G1866ELQK memory kit (4x4Gb 1866Mhz) and have just installed it and run into problems and am looking for a solution.

RAM appears to work fine at default 1333Mhz with XMP disabled. As soon as you enable XMP and reboot, the system won't boot at all and goes into a non stop restart cycle.

No other settings have been changed. This is a brand new system and everything is working as it should, bar this problem. Help appreciated.

I have exact same setting as your except CPU.

CPU: 3930K
    MB: Gigabyte G1.ASSASSIN2 X79 Rev1.0 / F10 bios
    VID: GTX 580 SLi

Same issue except I can boot w XMP but crash if play game or benchmark, did memtest and show failed. When I turn back to disable XMP and able to play game, benchmark and passed memtest! Look like RMA wont affect since I already return it to Frys last Sat and exchange same ram and still same problem! Please Help! Thanks