Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OS X Lion - Time Machine - Firmware Update?

Default OS X Lion - Time Machine - Firmware Update?

Hello,
    I just purchased the Javelin for my department. And I did not think to check and see if it was compatible with OS X Lion's Time Machine. Apparently out of the box it is not. If anyone knows of a firmware update or Plugin to make this happen I would like to know about it. I do not want to return the device. However, since more than 50% of my office is OS X 10.7 I would like to use the OS built in back-up system rather than some third party software. Online research indicates that it is a change in NetaTalk protocol that Apple uses in Lion and that a firmware update should correct the issue.

-Andrew Saunders
    University of Utah
    Graduate School

I just spoke with Patriot Tech Support and they are aware of the issue and working diligently to correct it. I will post something here when I hear back from them about a solution.

As a side note I got a human being on the phone right away that was amazing and I am very impressed with that call.

-Andrew Saunders
    University of Utah
    Graduate School

Try this procedure:

http://wiki.qnap.com/wiki/OS_X_Lion:...y_AFP_services

Regards
    Sandro

Default Not a solution...

The issue is not that you cannot mount the drives with AFP the issue is that Time Machine will not allow you to use the mounted drives as a backup locations. This is a firmware upgrade issue from what I understand... It is an issue with the new Netatalk 2.1.3 connection protocol for Lion and the version on the Javelin. Other companies have corrected the issue with a firmware upgrade to Netatalk 2.2.

http://www.geek.com/articles/chips/o...ices-20110722/
    Last edited by Uofu-gs; 03-26-2012 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Clarifying Statements
    -Andrew Saunders
    University of Utah
    The Graduate School

Maybe Optware will be the solution. I think they have a package for Nettalk 2.2, but its untested as I dont have a Mac with Lion and time machine. I didn't even install it

Default hello

so there is there a fix to get the time machine working?

Its not a "Patriot" sanctioned fix. Optware COULD be a work around, but someone needs to install it and test it and report back

Called Tech Support again today... They assure me that they are working on the issue and will be issuing a firmware update shortly.
    -Andrew Saunders
    University of Utah
    The Graduate School

I just got off the phone with Tech Support again, I was given a May, 4th 2012 release date for a Firmware patch to support OS X 10.7 (Lion)... Let's see if they are good to their word!
    -Andrew Saunders
    University of Utah
    The Graduate School

Sitting on the support site and hitting f5 all day today.