Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I missing something or the System Standby feature of the Javelin is a joke???

Default Am I missing something or the System Standby feature of the Javelin is a joke???

I got my Javelin NAS a few weeks ago. While I'm happy overall for the buck on this NAS ($199 after rebate), I'm really frustrated by its System Standby feature.

Under Administration -> Management -> Power Options -> System Standby tap, no matter what time is set after which the hard disks are turned off, 3 min, 5 min, 15 min, ..., the hard disks will turn on automatically from a few minutes to a few tens minutes after they have been turned off. It happens by itself, not triggered by "Power on LAN", which is turned off and the RJ45 connector is unplugged. So once the hard disks are turned off, they won't stay off but turn on by themselves usually within 15min without any external events to trigger it.

In other words, the Javelin can be only in system standby intermittently, and the HDs get turned off and on periodically. This is really bad to the HDs' life expectancy.

If I set Never turn off the HDs in the System Standby tap, it sounds the HDs never go into standby mode even they are NOT accessed for hours, because I can hear the HDs reading header moving sound periodically and see the HD LEDs blink periodically. If it's the case, the HDs consistently spin at full speed. Apparently it's not good for the HDs.

I installed two Hitachi HDS721010CLA3 1TB 7200RPM HDs and two Seagate ST31000340AS 1TB 7200RPM HDs and configured them in RAID 5.

I'm wondering anyone has experienced the same issues on his/her Javelin NAS.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

I have the same issue. I resorted to shutting down the nas at nights and having it start up in the morning
    Maybe its an issue with the Promise Controller Drivers, which would probably need a firmware upgrade from patriot

Hi Ruben00,

Thanks for your reply. It means I'm not crazy as I'm not the only one who is seeing this problem. I'm doing the same thing as you at the time: program the Javelin to power up and off at particular times each day.

Thanks again and have a nice weekend.

Leon

I can schedule the NAS to boot up, by putting a time interval in power management.
    I would assume that the NAS should shutdown at the end of the time interval,
    however it never does.

Am i doing something wrong?

I don't think having the drives spinning continuously is a bad thing. If you have them just sitting there spinning with no load, they are mechanically and thermally stable. The things that hurt drives are excessive swings in heat and continual movement of the heads. Spinning is their "natural" state and you shouldn't worry about that.

Turning on and off constantly, that's a bad thing. They should either stay on or stay off when set to do so.

If they are on and you hear the heads moving and the lights blinking, that's not necessarily the Javelin or controller. Most drives have built-in routines that do a thermal or head check periodically. So they'll never be "at rest" just spinning. There will almost always be some sort of additional motion taking place. And some are louder than others.

I've done what ruben00 did and that's to schedule a power on/off time for when I'm home or asleep/out. Two on/off cycles per day should be considered normal operation in my opinion.

Well I hope Patriot will at least get this one problem fixed. Of all the problems a raid enclosure may have, this is a major one. It really needs to be taken care of and I hope they will do it quickly.

You sure are right... I noticed that problem as well, I set mine to go in stand-by after 30 minutes and I noticed they would wake up after a very short wait, even when I have no direct mappings to the drive. It's a very important feature, I wish they will fix it soon.

I have 3 other NAS boxes from D-Link and LG, they all support drive spin-down properly. I will hear them spin-up usually when I boot up my PC because it tries to access the mapped drive, which is normal, or when I need to access some data. I don't mind the 10-15 seconds delay it takes to "wake-up", I think energy saving is better then leaving the drives spin 24/7!

I just received my Javelin, updated with new firmware, and confirm the problem is still there. it is not related to WOL. Meanwhile, what is the best way to go? I have it to go on standby after 3 minutes... It lasts for maybe 15-20 minutes, then comes back for 3 minutes. Is it better than having no standby at all, have it on during the day, and off during the night?

I set the standby to 30min and disabled all standard built-in plugins, and the HDD standby feature is working.
    I can see all HDD LEDs turn off and only system LEDs are on after 30min, and it stays there until I make an access to the share. I have update the firmware to .v2(beta) and I'm using 2ea WD 250G, 1ea Seagate 250G and 1ea WD Caviar Black 1.5T for RAID5. I just put my scrap HDDs to the system for a test.

When looking in "administration" of the web interface, I only have Windows Service on. Anywhere else I should look?