Thread: Looking for very long life under Linux, any suggestions?

Smile Looking for very long life under Linux, any suggestions?

A new PPSE120GS25SSDR is coming to a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop near me, buying it from NewEgg. Have had a great experience with a different mfr SSD in my EeePC 900A, so I'm thinking this drive should take me to a place of response time bliss in my Dell Inspiron 1545.

I see there is a need to update the firmware.

I use Linux, EXCLUSIVELY. I do not posess any copy of Windows, but Linux does offer Wine, and that can emulate XP, so maybe that can substitute? Problem is, I only have the internal SATA on the laptop (no external SATA), and this Pyro drive would be in the laptop, hosting the OS. Can that work?

Maybe I can scrounge up a spare flash drive, boot from that, install Wine onto the flash drive, and run windows utilities that way. I hope.

Aside from the firmware update, while staying with a stock (updated) Kubuntu 11.10 and trying to avoid PPAs, what should I think about in order to have EXT3/EXT4 live a long and happy life on the Pyro?

TYVM.

The main things are:

a) Use EXT4 filesystem, as it supports TRIM.
    b) Modify your /etc/fstab so your SSD filesystems have the "discard" added to it.
    c) Make sure that partitions on the SSD are created aligned. Most modern linux tools should do this, but some advanced partition tools let you mess this up.

There is more detailed information here: http://askubuntu.com/questions/18903/how-to-enable-trim

Thank you for the reply, and the link back into askubuntu, excellent response.