Thread: Pyro WInXP TRIM support

Default Pyro WInXP TRIM support

I noticed the following blurb at Newegg:
    =========
    TRIM SUPPORT The Wildfire Series SSDs offer native TRIM support featured in the latest versions of Windows. It is specifically designed to maintain the performance of the SSD over the lifetime of the drive. The TRIM feature functions by actively deleting invalid data from the SSD’s memory cells to ensure that write operations perform at full speed. Since a memory block must be erased before it can be re-programmed, TRIM improves performance by pro-actively erasing pages containing invalid data, allowing the SSD to write new data without first having to perform a time-consuming erase command.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820220602
    ==============

Patriot was working on a program to provide TRIM support for the TORQX drives in WinXP but that has been in beta in for months now.

When I switched form TORQX2 to the Pyro SE drive, I inquried about the availablility of TRIM support in WinXP.

BUT Patriot support has told me that Patriot does not have any TRIM code availabe at all (beta or not) for the Pyro series of drives. Apparently, the drive controller is different on the Pyro from the TORQX2, so the beta TRIM code for WinXP that has been mentioned here will not work on the Pyro drives.

This looks like it is going to lead to problems down the road. Based on the info stated in the blurb above, a TRIM program is needed to support the Pyro drives in WinXP.

Quote Originally Posted by Jojo View Post
    I noticed the following blurb at Newegg:
    =========
    TRIM SUPPORT The Wildfire Series SSDs offer native TRIM support featured in the latest versions of Windows. It is specifically designed to maintain the performance of the SSD over the lifetime of the drive. The TRIM feature functions by actively deleting invalid data from the SSD’s memory cells to ensure that write operations perform at full speed. Since a memory block must be erased before it can be re-programmed, TRIM improves performance by pro-actively erasing pages containing invalid data, allowing the SSD to write new data without first having to perform a time-consuming erase command.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820220602
    ==============

Patriot was working on a program to provide TRIM support for the TORQX drives in WinXP but that has been in beta in for months now.

When I switched form TORQX2 to the Pyro SE drive, I inquried about the availablility of TRIM support in WinXP.

BUT Patriot support has told me that Patriot does not have any TRIM code availabe at all (beta or not) for the Pyro series of drives. Apparently, the drive controller is different on the Pyro from the TORQX2, so the beta TRIM code for WinXP that has been mentioned here will not work on the Pyro drives.

This looks like it is going to lead to problems down the road. Based on the info stated in the blurb above, a TRIM program is needed to support the Pyro drives in WinXP.
    You can try using the same tool for the Torqx 2
    http://patriotmemory.com/support/driversp.jsp (Torqx 2 Trim tool). It'll work for any drive with a partition on it. Another preventative maintenance feature on the drive is Garbage collection. This activates by simply letting the drive idle overnight.

Quote Originally Posted by Patriot_Ben View Post
    You can try using the same tool for the Torqx 2
    http://patriotmemory.com/support/driversp.jsp (Torqx 2 Trim tool). It'll work for any drive with a partition on it. Another preventative maintenance feature on the drive is Garbage collection. This activates by simply letting the drive idle overnight.
    Perhaps not:
    ==============
    Hello,

Unfortunately at the moment we do not have a TRIM tool for windows xp and our Pyro/PyroSE/wildfire drives. I am having an engineer check to see if this TRIM tool will work for the Pyro but he is stating that the controllers are different and it may not work.

He is checking to see if there is a TRIM tool we can get for our sandforce drives.

Regards,
    Sophannara (Tom) Sok
    Patriot Support
    ===============

I leave this machine running 24x7x365 so it is idle overnight.

But HOW does the drive know when to invoke its garbage collection routines and how often to do so? The drive doesn't know when it is "night". Does it kick these routines off when the drive is idle for a period of time? How long does garbage collection take to run?

Quote Originally Posted by Jojo View Post
    But HOW does the drive know when to invoke its garbage collection routines and how often to do so? The drive doesn't know when it is "night". Does it kick these routines off when the drive is idle for a period of time? How long does garbage collection take to run?
    Garbage collection is a separate process from TRIM. On sandforce drives, TRIM marks sectors for eventual garbage collection, but does not perform it. Sectors can also be marked for garbage collection whenever they are overwritten. Whenever a sector is overwritten, the drive writes this sector to a new location on the NAND. The old location containing the data that was overwritten is marked for garbage collection.

This is why most SSDs have a somewhat lower formatted capacity then their RAW NAND quantity. This extra space can be used to fullfil write requests once a drive has used all its LBAs, leaving cleanup of the old copies to the garbage collector.

The garbage collector performs static and dynamic wear leveling by combining and rewriting used blocks and erasing unused blocks so the OS can write again. Garbage collection is normally done while the drive is idle, but can be triggered by writes if blank erased NAND gets too low.

For systems without TRIM running sandforce drives, I suggest the following:
    a) If you have a heavy and random write load, secure erase the drive, then partition the first 80% of the drive and use that only. This gives the drive extra space when all LBAs in the partition are used, so garbage collection is easier for the drive and write performance is maintained.
    b) If you have a light or highly sequential write load, you can probably use the full capacity without worry.

Using a tool to manually TRIM a sandforce drive is probably a last resort kind of thing, in case you used the full capacity of the drive without realizing your write workload is heavier then you wanted. The goal you should be aiming for is to have the drive live its life without requiring manual maintanence