Thread: Help accessing network content

Default Help accessing network content

Hello, Ive just got the PBO and was able to set it up pretty quickly except I cannot access any of the content on my NAS. I can 'see' the NAS box just fine but the PBO cannot see any content. Help?

So if I understand you correctly you can see your NAS on the PBO in the NET tab; and you can connect to it without any issues but when you navigate the NAS directory tree you do not see any files ..... Have I got this right???? This could be caused by a permission issue on your NAS for the directories. Also make sure that you have "all" (not just music/videos/pictures) selected when trying to view the directories contents. The PBO will only see the files that is relevant to it ex: only files with mp3, ogg ext etc.... when music is selected; only gif,jpg,png,bmp when pictures or images are selected etc .... I think you get the idea. The all selection should show all the videos,music and images. See if that helps....

If not please tell us what firmware you are currently using.

Snappy.

Default Pbo

Hi Snappy, thanks for getting back on this. So, after playing around with this a bit more, I can report that I do get an IP address (wired) although i cant determine if/why I need PPPOE if I only want to access my NAS. Im looking at section 3.2.3.3 in the manual it seems to skip this step entirely. Isnt this just for my DSL line? As far as trying to access content, when I go to UPNP, I see the NAS Media server represented as MSS-03AD2C: Mediaserver. However, when I enter here I simply see the categories (Photos, Music, etc), but they are all empty. When I go to Net, I can get to the Workgroup path and then 2 other paths show up that do not look familiar at all, including one called 'venus'. I can verify that there is plenty of playable content on the NAS. I also do not have a user id and password set on the NAS so anyone on the network should be able to access content. Im not quite sure where to go from here. Any help is appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by sbkurtz View Post
    Hi Snappy, thanks for getting back on this. So, after playing around with this a bit more, I can report that I do get an IP address (wired) although i cant determine if/why I need PPPOE if I only want to access my NAS. Im looking at section 3.2.3.3 in the manual it seems to skip this step entirely. Isnt this just for my DSL line? As far as trying to access content, when I go to UPNP, I see the NAS Media server represented as MSS-03AD2C: Mediaserver. However, when I enter here I simply see the categories (Photos, Music, etc), but they are all empty. When I go to Net, I can get to the Workgroup path and then 2 other paths show up that do not look familiar at all, including one called 'venus'. I can verify that there is plenty of playable content on the NAS. I also do not have a user id and password set on the NAS so anyone on the network should be able to access content. Im not quite sure where to go from here. Any help is appreciated
    Ok, so if you see the UPNP Mediaserver then we can assume that your network connection to the PBO is good. In other words you are getting an IP from your router to the PBO and the PBO is connected to your network. I am not sure which NAS you have but most of them are linux based and use mediatomb as a UPNP server. UPNP server usually needs to be setup (tells it which directory you want to share); before they will allow access to those files. How to setup your UPNP media server depends on which one it is; your NAS documentation should help with that.

As far as the NET tab goes the workgroup path "venus" is actually the PBO samba server that you see. It should be the same content as what you see under the HDD tab. It also means that your samba server is running on the PBO so you should be able to see the PBO on your PC. That being said in order for you to see your NAS on the NET tab you need to have a samba server running on your NAS. Most NAS have this server turn on by default; therefore if you can see your NAS on your window PC your samba is probably running. NAS also sometimes offers other type of servers ... ex: nfs but those won't be seen automatically by the PBO and requires some telneting/mod to see those shares. Bottom line if your NAS samba server is running it should be visible and available on the NET tab.

With regards to PPPOE this is not required and does not even works on the PBO so so not concern yourself with that; it appears that your PBO is already connected to your network. You just don't seem to be able to see your NAS on the NET tab.

Hope this help you a bit; by the way what is the make and model of your NAS.

Cheers !!!

Default Pbo

OK, I can see we are making some progress here. Thanks again for staying with me. I have a Maxstor NAS One Touch (I think Seagate owns it now). Anyways, I should also note that I have an older Roku Soundbridge that works great off the same NAS (music only). And, whats more, everything you are saying below seems to be true of the Roku as well. In other words, I can see the Mediaserver on the Roku also, or as an alternative, I can just browse the NAS. I prefer the second approach and, more importantly, as you noted below, I should be able to see the Samba server. Oh yeah, in addition to Venus, there was a second option with a bunch of letters and numbers (B#####). At this point, it does seem that everything is working just fine but why arent I seeing any content?

Default Pbo

well, i upgraded to the latest version of fw and Im happy to report everything works great!!

Quote Originally Posted by sbkurtz View Post
    well, i upgraded to the latest version of fw and Im happy to report everything works great!!
    Glad this worked for you; must have been a corrupted firmware causing the problem.

Cheers !!!