Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Torqx2 partitioning

Jojo,

Can you give me you full system specs?

Make, model, Other HDD capacity and make model of the drive.

How is your system setup right now?

Is that 64GB Torqx 2 Drive the boot drive or the other mechanical drive?

Does the Torqx 2 have mulptiple partitions or is this simply folder transfers?

How is the mechanical drive setup? Is it one partition or is this split up too?

I've consulted an Engineer in the matter and (if the drive has mulptiple partitions) he is speculating because the controller has do handle twice the command because of the partitions created. The ATTO benchmarks themselves check out so it definitely sounds like it could be limiting bottlenecks elsewhere.

Please get me information above as soon as you can.

Can you give me you full system specs? Make, model, Other HDD capacity and make model of the drive.

-Specs in attached text file

How is your system setup right now?

-Unsure what you are asking here.

Is that 64GB Torqx 2 Drive the boot drive or the other mechanical drive?

-Torqx 2 is the boot drive.

-Multiple partions as previously stated.

How is the mechanical drive setup? Is it one partition or is this split up too?

-All specs are in the attached text file.

I've consulted an Engineer in the matter and (if the drive has mulptiple partitions) he is speculating because the controller has handle twice the command because of the partitions created. The ATTO benchmarks themselves check out so it definitely sounds like it could be limiting bottlenecks elsewhere.

-If the engineers speculation is correct, then you will need to explain why this is a problem for your SSD but isn't/wasn't a problem with rotating disks. The drive I replaced with the SSD had multiple partions and was the boot drive.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by Jojo View Post

-Multiple partions as previously stated.
    I'll ping to engineers for more insight.

In the meantime can you tell me how many partitions does the Torqx 2 drive have? What capacity size is each partition?
    (I don't believe this was disclosed?)

So these other drives are fixed backups right now used currently with the Torqx 2...?

80GB HDS722580VLAT20 SCSI Disk Device (SATA) 28 C
    313GB Seagate ST3320620AS (SATA) 30 C
    977GB Hitachi Hitachi HDS721010CLA332 (SATA) 30 C

In the meantime can you tell me how many partitions does the Torqx 2 drive have? What capacity size is each partition?

- As the system spec file showed, there are 4 paritions on the Torqx2 [C: D: E: I:]. All the space allocation info is also in that file. Look at the last entry in the file.

So these other drives are fixed backups right now used currently with the Torqx 2...?

- They are independent rotating disk drives.

Quote Originally Posted by Patriot_Ben
    That info is all in the attached spec file. Look at the last entry.

Quote Originally Posted by Patriot_Ben

- I am unsure what you are asking here. These are all independent rotating disk drives.

Jojo,

Do you have those other drives plugged in conjointly as well is what I'm asking? You're booting from the Torqx 2 correct? If the Torqx 2 is plugged in to your sata 1 port, are these other drives always being plugged in as well? The reason why I'm asking is so we can try to match your exact specs as close as possible for testing.

At this point, we are unsure why the speed transfers are this slow when the drive is being partitioned (in comparison to the rotating disks). We are currently looking into to to see what the issue can be. We have contacted the controller manufacturer. I will let you know to see if we can provide an explanation or possibly solution for this.

Thank you for your patience in the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Patriot_Ben View Post
    Jojo,

Do you have those other drives plugged in conjointly as well is what I'm asking? You're booting from the Torqx 2 correct? If the Torqx 2 is plugged in to your sata 1 port, are these other drives always being plugged in as well? The reason why I'm asking is so we can try to match your exact specs as close as possible for testing.
    I don't know what you mean by "conjointly" or what you are trying to ask here.

I'm sorry but I think that this is maybe the 4th time in this thread that I have replied that YES, I AM BOOTING FROM THE TORQX2 drive!

I have 6 internal SATA ports. I have moved the TORQX2 to other ports. It has not made any difference as to what port it is plugged into.

Unless you have somehow located a copy of my mobo with the proper version number and all the drivers I have installed now, I don't see how you can match my specs.

Don't you have any sort of monitoring or debug software that might be used to help isolate this problem?

Or maybe you would like to try and swap out my current SSD with a replacement of the same drive or one of your other models for testing purposes? I have imaging software for doing the backup/cloning and am willing to do the work involved to try and help resolve this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Jojo View Post
    I don't know what you mean by "conjointly" or what you are trying to ask here.

I'm sorry but I think that this is maybe the 4th time in this thread that I have replied that YES, I AM BOOTING FROM THE TORQX2 drive!

I have 6 internal SATA ports. I have moved the TORQX2 to other ports. It has not made any difference as to what port it is plugged into.

Unless you have somehow located a copy of my mobo with the proper version number and all the drivers I have installed now, I don't see how you can match my specs.

Don't you have any sort of monitoring or debug software that might be used to help isolate this problem?

Or maybe you would like to try and swap out my current SSD with a replacement of the same drive or one of your other models for testing purposes? I have imaging software for doing the backup/cloning and am willing to do the work involved to try and help resolve this issue.
    Jojo,

What I am asking is not if you are booting from your Torqx 2 drive. What I am asking is do you always have the other HDD's plugged in as well? For a 64GB Drive, these have never been tested to be used in this manner (with multiple partitions). May I ask is there a reason why you have multiple partitions? Unfortunately no, we do not have a debugging software.

If you prefer, I'll be glad to have an Engineer take a look at your drive under warranty to see if there is anything wrong with your particular drive. You can also work with our warranty department to also see if they can provide you with a different drive as we do have similar P35 platforms here to test.

To initiate this warranty follow the instructions below:

To Initiate an RMA or items relating to warranty, please visit this link here and under ‘troubleshooting’ select your product from the dropdown box and fill out the info (look at the bottom for ‘start a technical case’):
    http://www.patriotmemory.com/support/techSupportp.jsp

(This link will get your name and contact info into our Support/RMA Portal database. You will then be given a user id and password where you can make replies to your Support/RMA case. Please make a note that you already spoke to a rep regarding your issue. Furthermore afterwards, feel free to login to reply or simply await for the case to be escalated to RMA with further instructions. To escalate the case to rma, please indicate that you’ve spoken to a rep already).

Jojo,

Ok, so we received a confirmation back from one of the Engineers of the controller manufacturer and he did confirm what our Engineers theorized. Because the drive is being partitioned, when you're copying from one partition to another it slows down because what you're doing is issuing (2) reads and (2) write commands simultaneously.

I'm not sure if any of our other drives would be able to handle this any better, but if you want we can try and set you up with something different (pending stock).

Quote Originally Posted by Patriot_Ben View Post
    Jojo,

Ok, so we received a confirmation back from one of the Engineers of the controller manufacturer and he did confirm what our Engineers theorized. Because the drive is being partitioned, when you're copying from one partition to another it slows down because what you're doing is issuing (2) reads and (2) write commands simultaneously.

I'm not sure if any of our other drives would be able to handle this any better, but if you want we can try and set you up with something different (pending stock).
    WHY would doing 2 read and 2 write commands simultaneously be any different from what would happen on a regualr revolving drive or result in any different performance?

And since you still don't seem to really have a handle on whether or not multiple paritions area no-no on SSD drives (or only YOUR drives?), I would think you want to discover that answer by doing the testing in your lab first, instead of shipping drives back and forth between me and you with all the paperwork that would be involved in exchanging drives.