Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Torqx2 partitioning

Default Torqx2 partitioning

When I partition the Torqx2 SSD, is the memory for each partition reserved and fenced off from the other partitions, like a section of a physical hard drive would be?

I wonder because last night, I did a 2GB folder move from one partition to another in WinXP that was pretty slow. Took between 90-120 seconds!

No, it should not be. The only time a system will reserve hard drive would be formatting it with the OS. Windows Vista or 7 will allocate a much smaller space that is 100-200MB's.

What is the make and the model of your system? Do you have the latest drivers (chipset, usb, sata, lan etc) installed from the motherboard manufacturer's website?

Can you run a bench with ATTO and post a screenshot of the bench you get?

ATTO:
    http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads...k%20v2.46.html

Make sure that the drive is running in AHCI mode.

I am running WinXP SP3.

I have a custom built system with a previously high-end mobo (IP35 Pro) from the defunct ABIT Computing. I have checked the drivers on the individual manufacturers websites and believe I have the current drivers (JMicron, Intel, etc.). I did not have problems with the old SCSI drives I replaced or the other current hard drives in the system.

I am running in IDE mode. Cannot switch to AHCI mode unless I rebuild WinXP, which I don't want to do.

ATTO bench attached.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jojo View Post
    I am running WinXP SP3.

I have a custom built system with a previously high-end mobo (IP35 Pro) from the defunct ABIT Computing. I have checked the drivers on the individual manufacturers websites and believe I have the current drivers (JMicron, Intel, etc.). I did not have problems with the old SCSI drives I replaced or the other current hard drives in the system.

I am running in IDE mode. Cannot switch to AHCI mode unless I rebuild WinXP, which I don't want to do.

ATTO bench attached.
    Can you try transferring various other size files? How long have you have the drive for? Have you always had this slow down or did it recently just happen?

Try letting the system idle overnight and let the Garbage Collection/Trim do take into effect and let me know if this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Patriot_Ben View Post
    Can you try transferring various other size files? How long have you have the drive for? Have you always had this slow down or did it recently just happen?

Try letting the system idle overnight and let the Garbage Collection/Trim do take into effect and let me know if this helps.
    I'll try other size files later this evening.

I've only had the drive for about 1 week.

What is "Garbage collection/Trim"?

WinXP doesn't have TRIM as Win7 does. And Patriot doesn't have a released program yet to do manual TRIM or garbage collection, so far as I know.

I'll try other size files later this evening.

I've only had the drive for about 1 week.

What is "Garbage collection/Trim"?

WinXP doesn't have TRIM as Win7 does. And Patriot doesn't have a released program yet to do manual TRIM or garbage collection, so far as I know.
    Garbage Collection is built-in to all of our SSD's. It acts as a defrag or much like TRIM which essentially tells the drive which blocks are no longer being used after it has been written to.

We are working on Trim tool for XP and we do have a beta version.

If you're interested in this tool, please send an e-mail to support@patriotmem.com and we'll be glad to send it to you.

Garbage Collection is built-in to all of our SSD's. It acts as a defrag or much like TRIM which essentially tells the drive which blocks are no longer being used after it has been written to.

We are working on Trim tool for XP and we do have a beta version.

If you're interested in this tool, please send an e-mail to support@patriotmem.com and we'll be glad to send it to you.
    OK, so where do I find info on garbage collection? How/when/why does it work? I can't find anything on this on your website.

I emailed for the TRIM beta couple fo days ago but have not received anything. WIll try again.

I have put together some screenshots doing test copies of a 2GB FOLDER with 300+ sub-folders and a 750GB single file. Here they are:

700MB copy
    http://i.minus.com/i77NweNfHihsN.jpg

2GB copy
    http://i.minus.com/iLPZjVaMAWmgB.jpg

You can clearly see that this drive has serious performance problems copying files within itself. OTOH, performance is good copying to or from rotating disk from/to the SSD.

Can you explain why this is occurring?

I have put together some screenshots doing test copies of a 2GB FOLDER with 300+ sub-folders and a 750GB single file. Here they are:

700MB copy
    http://i.minus.com/i77NweNfHihsN.jpg

2GB copy
    http://i.minus.com/iLPZjVaMAWmgB.jpg

You can clearly see that this drive has serious performance problems copying files within itself. OTOH, performance is good copying to or from rotating disk from/to the SSD.

Can you explain why this is occurring?
    Hello,

I know it'll be a pain to do but I suggest switching the drive to AHCI mode if you can manage to backup your data and do a fresh install. Most newer SSD's tend to perform better under AHCI mode as opposed to IDE.

Hello,

I know it'll be a pain to do but I suggest switching the drive to AHCI mode if you can manage to backup your data and do a fresh install. Most newer SSD's tend to perform better under AHCI mode as opposed to IDE.
    Sorry Ben, that request is more than a pain, it is unreasonable. My system is highly customized with hundreds of applications installed. Last time I did a rebuild, it took me about 3 weeks to get everything back to normal. Unfortunately I don't have the time to do such a rebuild, especially since I work out of my home and my boss would not be very happy if I had to take a 3 week vacation because of a new SSD.

I question if AHCI is the problem. WHY are the performance problems only on SSD to SSD copies? SSD to rotating disk or vice versa are performing reasonably well.

I can understand having copying slowdowns when copying to the same rotating disk because of the need to physically move a single head to read/write. But there is no physical movement with an SSD.

Is there any place to escalate this thread to? Engineering?
    Last edited by Jojo; 02-06-2012 at 11:25 PM.