Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4 x 4TB drive support? Total of 16TB?

Cool 4 x 4TB drive support? Total of 16TB?

Has anyone tested one of those 0S03364 4TB drives from Hitachi in the Javelin?

If not does anyone know if they should technically work or is there some software limitation in the NAS?

Thx.

So no one ever tried a 4tb drive in one of those? Anyone know if the Javelin would even see it? I know 12gb is stated as the max for this NAS but im hoping this limitation may have more to do with the fact that only 3tb drives were out when they put out that spec.

/bump

Anyone tried this yet?

I've already got 4 3TB drives in my Javelin and have no need to swap them out for 4TB drives so soon even if they are actually supported.

For me, 12TB = about 480 Blu-ray ISO files (25GB each) or 960 DVD ISO files. I only have about 10 Blu-ray discs and about 275 DVDs. Add to that about 1100 CDs and less than 100GB of family photos and I still have more space than I'll ever need for the next 5-10 years.

So I'm not going to even buy a 4TB drive in the near future and won't be trying one in the Javelin.

I think we are all looking to YOU to try it for us and let us know! But, not knowing the firmware or software of the Javelin at all, I have no idea if a 4TB drive would be seen as more than 3TB. It certainly might be but, until someone tries it, it's "officially" unsupported in my opinion.

Let us know if you buy one and try it!

It has not been tested yet but it definitely should be able to! The specifications on the Javelin should support 4x 4tb drives.

Post 4TB test

So technically the Javelin should see the drive.

That's what I wanted to know before trying this out.

Now I'm just waiting for the price of those to be worth it (price per GB)

Gawd I hate floods... lol.

I just added a WD 3 TB (WDC WD30EZRX-00MMMB0), firmware 80.00A80, shows up as 2794.52 GB. It works. Unfortunately the 250 GB drive that was originally in the first bay that I moved to the fourth bay got auto-formatted. Thanks to XFS I was able to recover 99% of the stuff on that drive using Windows-based USB drive. Other than that, everythings good

Well I really hope it will work as I just bought two Hitachi 5k4000 4TB... will receive them probably next week. My plan is to have two RAID1 arrays, one using two 3TB that I alreay have in the Javelin and the other using these two 4TB. I keep my fingers crossed that they will work without issue, otherwise it means I bought 2 quite expensive paperweights!

Yay! Nas detected the two 4tb drives just fine... total size in RAID-1 is 3725.29 GB, just formatted but still haven't put my data on it.

Lightbulb !!!

Awesome!

Merci Chienpourri!

Really happy this turned out well. BTW I just figured out a trick to save money on those Hitachi drives.

The Hitachi internal 4tb drives can be found for +-280$ on special but their external 4TB GoFlex drives can be had for 210$. If you take the enclosure apart you will find a regular sata drive. You can find videos on youtube on how to take the enclosure apart.

So Ill probably go for that. My suggestion to anyone doing this is DO NOT damage the enclosures while opening them and take note of which enclosure goes with which drive (using the serial numbers). Dont trow anything away, if you need to have a drive replaced under warranty you can reassemble the thing.
    Last edited by thecrazy; 05-03-2012 at 05:43 AM.