Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: how to view chinese tv content?

Default how to view chinese tv content?

I understand that it's possible to view chinese tv content (from china, hong kong, taiwan) via the IMS feature. Could someone provide instructions for how to do so? It seems there are some instructions out on the web in chinese on this topic, but I can't read chinese. It also sounds like a firmware change is needed, but I'm not quite clear why this is so and why the stock firmware can't be used.

I'm new to hacking around with the PBO (still using the original stock firmware from about 1 year ago when I purchased the PBO) so I'd appreciate if any instructions provided could be newbie friendly. Thanks.

Welcome SDer.

There are several ways to add chinese IMS to the PBO. If your PBO is with bootcode 16, you will need to use one of the semi-official firmware and then add the IMS feeds to the menu or use Metafeeds. If you use semi-official firmware before P70R2, then you need to add MMS support. With P70R2, the decoders are already integrated so you just need to add the IMS links to the menu. If you don't want to edit the menu file manually, the easiest way would be using the my metafeeds account by replacing the username with tourist using a simple command. Let me know if you have bootcode 16 and need to take this path. It will take some time for me to dig out these threads for you.

If you have bootcode 18 or above, you may still use the path above. However, you should simply use the chinese Universal Firmware, or the modded O!Play or ACRyan firmware with chinese IMS added. The Universal Firmware is closest to the factory firmware but is based on earlier SDK. However, I found it actually perform better. There are several versions of Universal firmware and some have been adapted for PBO with appropriate remote control layout. I am using one of the 1.4.4 derivatives. I can PM you the link for the current one I am using. Make sure you have bootcode 18 or above before trying this. Basically, you need to either erase the firmware on your PBO using USB-TTL cable or flash with the official P02 firmware first. Then download the universal firmware and flash with it. When you flash to P02 firmware, make sure you let it go through the 2 flashing cycles with auto reboot in between. I usually just let it sit for 5-10 minutes after I initialized the flashing. When you flash with the universal firmware, it will re-boot twice. The second reboot will occur 30 seconds after it returned to the main menu. Do not unplug anything or turn it off until it finished rebooting the second time. If you leave it untouch for 10 minutes during the flashing process, it should be fine. When it finally returned to the main menu stably, turn off the power by the switch in the back and then turn in back on. The last step is critical to make the remote functional.

If you want to try other firmware with chinese IMS, send me message. I don't want to confuse you with different files.

Let me know if you have other question. Last but not least, there is always a risk in bricking the box when flashing firmware. If you have a USB-TTL cable, it can be easily recovered. However, this has not happened to me yet. Having a USB-TTL cable is also handy for erasing firmware before flashing though.

I would like to have a link to the firmware above that you are using. Also how do you know if your bootcode is 18 vs 16? I just got mine recently but never did anything to it.

Would like to set this up for my in laws parents who speak Cantonese. Also on IMS like PPS.tv how do you know if the language the show is in is Mandarin or Cantonese?

Also are you still able to watch mkv's after doing these mod's?

Quote Originally Posted by qubilist View Post
    I would like to have a link to the firmware above that you are using. Also how do you know if your bootcode is 18 vs 16? I just got mine recently but never did anything to it.

Would like to set this up for my in laws parents who speak Cantonese. Also on IMS like PPS.tv how do you know if the language the show is in is Mandarin or Cantonese?

Also are you still able to watch mkv's after doing these mod's?
    To check the bootcode and firmware, press "STOP" then "PAUSE" on the remote at main menu.
    If you purchase the box within a year, it should be bootcode 20 or above.
    For the Chinese IMS content, they are usually in Mandarin or it will be marked Cantonese. There are also Japanese, Korean, and other TV series in their original language but with chinese subtitle. If you look for TV programs from HK, you will see around half of them labelled Mandarin and the other half Cantonese. Nevertheless, there is no new TV series from HK as of 2012. You may only find those up to last month. Check PM for link to firmware. Make sure you read the instruction and warning above.

Quote Originally Posted by tourist View Post
    To check the bootcode and firmware, press "STOP" then "PAUSE" on the remote at main menu.
    If you purchase the box within a year, it should be bootcode 20 or above.
    For the Chinese IMS content, they are usually in Mandarin or it will be marked Cantonese. There are also Japanese, Korean, and other TV series in their original language but with chinese subtitle. If you look for TV programs from HK, you will see around half of them labelled Mandarin and the other half Cantonese. Nevertheless, there is no new TV series from HK as of 2012. You may only find those up to last month. Check PM for link to firmware. Make sure you read the instruction and warning above.

Is the reason no new TV series in 2012 due to Megaupload going down?

Not sure. Someone said it is due to a distribution contract between PPS and TVB. It is not likely due to the shut down of file sharing site as many other files are still available. Even the BT of the current TV series.

tourist,

Can you please send me the link to the firmware you are using for your pbo? I just picked up a pbo core recently and would like to try it out. I can't read chinese so I didn't have much luck finding the correct firmware for the pbo. thanks in advance!

tourist,
    thanks for all the help in SD and these forums.

Can you possibly link the 02 firmware that needs to be flashed first? Is there a wiki that can be placed to have all the files in one place rather than searching thru all the posts in the thread for it?

Here's the link to the P02 firmware - near the bottom of the webpage.

http://www.patriotmemory.com/forums/...mware-Releases

tourist,
    I installed you version. I don't seem to get videos working on all titles. Sometimes it says 'Confirm' and never plays the video after pressing OK.

Is this normal?
    Last edited by qubilist; 01-28-2012 at 07:51 AM.