Thread: PBO overheating?

Hybrid View

Default PBO overheating?

hi everyone. lately my PBO has been freezing in the middle of watching movies from a portable hard drive, annoying, but i would just switch to streaming from desktop to finish watching, but now even that is freezing, with controls on remote not responding, or responding very slowly (minutes). i suspect the fan may not have been working, in my frustration from repeatedly trying to watch the ending of a movie, i shook the PBO, then put my ear up to it, and could hear the fan going, i suspect (but never thought of checking first) that the fan may not have been running. after said shake, it seems to be running fine. can PBO's be cleaned inside, and the fan oiled? if so, could someone please recommend how? my PBO is about 2 years old, and never been cleaned. Thanks.

*forgot to add, i have no internal hd in the PBO.
    Last edited by townie2; 01-21-2012 at 02:25 PM.

Open you PBO (2 screw to remove in the back) and clean it; you will be surprise just how much stuff can accumulate on the fan blades. Also make sure that the heatsink is still installed properly on the main IC (RT1073). You can add a little bit of little oil under the sticker of the fan. You might also want to power on the PBO with the cover remove and see if your fan is really spinning ..... beware you should lay the PBO circuit board on an insulated surface when you do that so you don't short out anything.

Anyhow I think you are on the right track because your symptoms definitely seem to indicate a heating problem.

Good luck.

will do. Thanks very much for your quick reply snappy46, want to get my PBO working properly for Saturday night movie night

I opened mine recently and found another dog living in there - I run a HDD in my PBO and it doesn't seem to overheat - make sure it's got lots of air circulation, and clean it out - I have never had mine shut down, and clean it about every year. Both of them are running top notch - use them almost daily. Even the wife likes them, especially in the bedroom ;-)