Thread: Building a custom image

Default Building a custom image

Hi,

Is it possible to build a custom image from the GPL source which was released?

Is there a howto guide for this?

Thanks

You can not build your own image; Patriot only released what they had to according to the rules/laws that governs GPL source code. Many proprietary portion of the code (mainly drivers, initialization script etc...) either belonging to Patriot or Realtek (The PBO brain (IC)) was never released and is needed to build your own image. In other words what you really need is Realtek Software Development Kit (SDK) which was not released.

Cheers !!!

That sucks

I bought one of them some time back and after realising its running linux and saw the GPL code on their website I went ahead and bought another two....

Oh well, at least there's some other fun stuff on the forum

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by andret View Post
    That sucks

I bought one of them some time back and after realising its running linux and saw the GPL code on their website I went ahead and bought another two....

Oh well, at least there's some other fun stuff on the forum

Thanks
    Well all is not lost; it is still a pretty amazing little box that a lot of functionalily can be added on by using optware, and sh, cgi or even php script. PHP script will require lighttpd optware installation with php support.

Lots of fun to be having for those that like to experiment.

Snappy

PS: If you are going to do a lot of experimentation with these box I suggest you get yourself a serial TLL cable to revive your box in case you brick it.

I got a couple of these which I have for other micro controller related experimentation

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-PL2303HX...item3f0f32496a

I think they should work, but have not needed to test it yet