Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Slow transfer speed from PC to PBO via LAN connection

Quote Originally Posted by token View Post
    ahh.. Thanks for the info! One question (sorry I'm rather new to PBO) - what is "PBO Valkyrie NAS"? Is this PBO running 3rd party firmware turning it into NAS? Can you please elaborate?

Sorry for the typo. It is Patriot Valkyrie NAS, not PBO. It does not have gigabit although my router does.

Quote Originally Posted by tourist View Post
    Sorry for the typo. It is Patriot Valkyrie NAS, not PBO. It does not have gigabit although my router does.
    ah gotcha! No prob... Many thanks for the info. I might give the ext3 a shot as well...

Do you or anyone else know how to restart the smb daemon after changes are made to the conf file (or to simply reload the new config) without turning it on/off?

Cheers,

Cheers,

@token I have the same problem with my wifi network. I have transfer from my PBO to PC about 1-1,5 MB/s. I think about change my wifi adapter to that one:

http://cgi.ebay.pl/Dynamode-WL-700N-...-/370496378526

but I have no idea if that really works with PBO. Maybe somebody test it ?

Quote Originally Posted by egon646 View Post
    @token I have the same problem with my wifi network. I have transfer from my PBO to PC about 1-1,5 MB/s. I think about change my wifi adapter to that one:

http://cgi.ebay.pl/Dynamode-WL-700N-...-/370496378526

but I have no idea if that really works with PBO. Maybe somebody test it ?
    Any idea what chipset it uses? I read somewhere (can't remember where it's this forum or not, sorry) that there is a list of compatible cards (more like chipsets) that you can try. I don't use wireless at all so I don't really know.

Cheers,

I read somewhere (can't remember where it's this forum or not, sorry) that there is a list of compatible cards (more like chipsets) that you can try.
    Its in the sticky in the networking section
    [*]Still new..? check the wiki. [*]Your shares gone for no reason ? Create a machine shortcut. [*]Trashing the G-adapter? upgrade cheaply to N. [*]Getting the hang of it? get organized .. add share shortcuts. [*]Getting sick of it ? it never hurts to rant here [*]Wishing for the time machine? give your PBO a makeover. [*]Bricked it while doing so ? unbrick it for $5[*]Not into cross flashing? keep it semi-official [*]Too lazy to read all that ? you asked for it.[*] Thank U PBO

Note to self - "can't remember" I got that right at the very least Damn... I know it's.... somewhere

aasoror, any idea how I can restart/reload samba daemon (or any other daemon for that matter) without restart the PBO? Been trying different settings for samba and it's annoying that I need to turn it on/off al the time for the change to take effect.

Cheers,

Any idea what chipset it uses? I read somewhere (can't remember where it's this forum or not, sorry) that there is a list of compatible cards (more like chipsets) that you can try. I don't use wireless at all so I don't really know.

Cheers,
    It has Ralink chipset (RTL8188SU) so I have information that it's supported by PBO.

Note to self - "can't remember" I got that right at the very least Damn... I know it's.... somewhere

aasoror, any idea how I can restart/reload samba daemon (or any other daemon for that matter) without restart the PBO? Been trying different settings for samba and it's annoying that I need to turn it on/off al the time for the change to take effect.

Cheers,
    I think you need to locate the smbd file (location changes with different firmwares) and execute "smbd restart"
    [*]Still new..? check the wiki. [*]Your shares gone for no reason ? Create a machine shortcut. [*]Trashing the G-adapter? upgrade cheaply to N. [*]Getting the hang of it? get organized .. add share shortcuts. [*]Getting sick of it ? it never hurts to rant here [*]Wishing for the time machine? give your PBO a makeover. [*]Bricked it while doing so ? unbrick it for $5[*]Not into cross flashing? keep it semi-official [*]Too lazy to read all that ? you asked for it.[*] Thank U PBO

Quote Originally Posted by aasoror View Post
    I think you need to locate the smbd file (location changes with different firmwares) and execute "smbd restart"
    Gotcha! I'll give it a shot. Just FYI. Dvdplayer -restart/-reload didn't really reload the shortcuts (modified NetworkBrowser.ini). I thought it will.. oh well...

As usual, Thanks!

Cheers,

Not sure if this means anything to anybody, but I am able to get xfer speeds using SAMBA to an internal drive at a pretty constant 4.3MB/s with the latest firmware. Copying using NFS (through telnet) is a litter faster at 5.2MB/s but still well short of USB 2.0 or other NFS transfer speeds I can achieve. Using the copy function within the PBO software gave me the best results with speeds at 7.4MB/s. It is also worth noting that these speeds were achieved when disk was formatted to ext3, using ntfs I noticed the slower data transfer reates.
    Even more frustrating when formatted to ext3 the system requests the disk to be reformatted to ntfs and thus slower speeds...
    Last edited by add1kt; 12-21-2011 at 01:26 AM.