Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wildfire 120GB BSOD and Detection Issues, Marvell 9123

Hey Leonard,

Did you have to overclock your PCIe to get those speeds? Or maybe the Marvell 9128 is better than the 9123?

Leonard,

Are you using the same 1.2.0.1003 drivers? Did you let your system idle for TRIM and CG? If possible can you post what drivers you are running for your chipset?

I am using Marvell 1.2.0.1006 driver on asus P6X58D-E mb.
    950 i7.
    6mb 7-7-7-20 xmp 1.65v 1.3125 qpi volt Corsair.
    no oc except for xmp memory.
    I would, I tried it a couple times, had problems.
    ATI Fire Pro V9700 graphics card.
    I have a storage drive on the sata2 plug.
    defrag is off.
    hard drive is set to "never" turn off in advanced power options.
    I don't use sleep or hibernate functions.
    An Intel rapid storage technology driver from around June.
    Used a Chipset install utility from intel's website.
    Please don't ask me technical questions, I am not a computer geek.

A twin desktop using a 980 i7, 12gb mem, a 580gtx graphics card and a crucial ssd 300 firmware7.

What do the 2 graphs compared mean in english ?
    All I see are red and green bars.
    It is supposed to be a benchmark, for what ?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Leonard,

The ATTO benchmark shows you how fast your system can write data to the drive (in red), as well as how fast your system can read data from the drive (in green). Note that this is done using compressible, sequential data, so the transfer rates shown in this benchmark will generally be higher than what you'll experience in real life usage.

The benchmark will write a file to your drive, and measure how long it takes to write it, then read the file from your drive, and measure how long it takes to read it. It does this for different sizes of files, in your case from 0.5 kilobytes to 8192 kilobytes (seen on the vertical axis on the left). It then graphs the write speed in red, and the read speed in green, which you can then read off from the horizontal axis, or from the numbers at the right of the graph.

So, looking at your ATTO results, at the 8192 kilobyte test, the Wildfire is writing 242379 KB/s, and is reading at 400649 KB/s. The C300, on the same 8192 kilobyte test, is writing 141374 KB/s and reading 348617 KB/s. So your Wildfire is about 70% faster at writing data compared to the C300, and about 15% faster at reading in this test.

Thank you mr. worminator for your explanation in the greek language. You must be my old algebra teacher that flunked me twice.
    When I make a DVD from a movie file, is that readin or writing ?
    It is hard for me to compare the graphics cards performance since the 580GTX uses "cuda" while making the DVD, the ATI doesn't.
    Thank you Mr Moderator for the assistance on updating firmware, now I don't have to fly to Newegg and beat Paul up.

Sorry if that was a bit too confusing.

When you're creating a DVD from a movie file, you are reading from your solid state drive and writing that information to the DVD. "Reading" and "writing" in computer technology is identical to what you would do with a book: "writing" would be storing information in the book, and "reading" would be taking the stored information from the book to use elsewhere. In the case of the DVD writing scenario, you're taking the information that's already stored on your hard drive (as a movie file), and storing that to the DVD.

Regarding your question about graphics card performance, Nvidia has "CUDA", ATI has a similar technology called "Stream". Either way, if you want to compare two graphics cards to each other, it's generally easier to use a standard benchmark like 3dMark11 or Cinebench 11.5 (both are available for free). That way, you don't have to worry about which card has CUDA or not, since games don't use that anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
    I am using Marvell 1.2.0.1006 driver on asus P6X58D-E mb.
    950 i7.
    6mb 7-7-7-20 xmp 1.65v 1.3125 qpi volt Corsair.
    no oc except for xmp memory.
    I would, I tried it a couple times, had problems.
    ATI Fire Pro V9700 graphics card.
    I have a storage drive on the sata2 plug.
    defrag is off.
    hard drive is set to "never" turn off in advanced power options.
    I don't use sleep or hibernate functions.
    An Intel rapid storage technology driver from around June.
    Used a Chipset install utility from intel's website.
    Please don't ask me technical questions, I am not a computer geek.
    Leonard,

When I said about TRIM and CG (garbage collection) is to let your system go idle through the night when you are sleeping. TRIM tells your drive what blocks are not being used and will get data wiped. CG cycle blocks that had written data on them to where blocks that has fresh data written to them. This in turn can bring back performance.

System crashed and same issue arose again, with the new firmware. It went to the "no boot drive detected" message upon reboot, and I had to hard reset the computer to get it back.

I'm running the latest firmware and Marvell drivers. Not sure if it means much, but the system had been on for about 42 hours, and running at max load for about 32 of those hours (goooo Folding@Home)

Quote Originally Posted by TheWorminator View Post
    System crashed and same issue arose again, with the new firmware. It went to the "no boot drive detected" message upon reboot, and I had to hard reset the computer to get it back.

I'm running the latest firmware and Marvell drivers. Not sure if it means much, but the system had been on for about 42 hours, and running at max load for about 32 of those hours (goooo Folding@Home)
    Ok I am going to create a new thread with issues on 3.2.0 FW. Let's troubleshoot in there as it make it easier for me. When you crashed did you get BSOD?