Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: mms player/mythfrontend for the pbo, asus oplay, fat - a 3rd party player

Default mms player/mythfrontend for the pbo, asus oplay, fat - a 3rd party player

I have an alpha version of mms to try that extends ketlaer's work to a very basic myth frontend. Code here:

https://rapidshare.com/#!download|43...er1.tgz|105624

on a unix machine cd /usr/local/etc
    tar xzvf ketlaer1.tgz|
    on your pbo mount you mythtv recordings as /tmp/recordings
    change the /usr/local/etc/ketlaer/etc/settings.conf to read PBO in the last line.
    mount /usr/local/etc/ketlaer on your PBO
    run a stopall to halt the dvdplayer app.

I do on my pbo

mkdir -p /tmp/recordings
    mount -t nfs -o nolock,udp,rsize=32768 192.168.1.120://usr/local/etc/ketlaer /usr/local/etc/ketlaer
    mount -t nfs -o nolock,udp,rsize=32768 192.168.1.78:/mnt/storage/recordings /tmp/recordings
    export KETLAER=/usr/local/etc/ketlaer
    export PATH=$KETLAER/bin:$KETLAER/python/bin:$PATH
    export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$KETLAER/lib
    export QWS_MOUSE_PROTO="usb"
    export QWS_KEYBOARD="usb"

note that the nfs exports of /usr/local/etc/ketlaer must have root nosquash option to allow you to write

look at /usr/local/etc/ketlaer/etc/mms/Movie.config
    and set the ip etc of your mythbackend
    Check that you can make a mysql connection from other machines than your backend, follow the documentation on mythtv for setting up remote frontends.

now on your pbo
    cd /usr/local/etc/ketlaer/bin
    ./mms -u root -p ../tmp

your remote should work.

Ask if you have questions.

I'm working on a proper ffw and rew as of now it skips. I have not got any osd when the video is running yet.

Good luck and enjoy!

Very nice I am going to give this a try when I have a chance.

... I have ff/rew working now! Next I want to save the position for return to playing. For the mythfrontend the next thing I'll worry about is commercial skipping.

Quote Originally Posted by jm_maclaren View Post
    I have an alpha version of mms to try that extends ketlaer's work to a very basic myth frontend.
    Played around a bit with that last night and manage to get the interface on the screen and view pictures on my PBO and access some setup/utilities; but I was not able to play any videos. I did not have mythTV running on my PC so that is probably the problem. I do have a few question for you.

on a unix machine cd /usr/local/etc
    tar xzvf ketlaer1.tgz|
    1) Could you not just extract the ketlaer1.tgz file to the HDD or USB Stick and then just overmount the directory to the /usr/local/etc/ketlaer to HDD/ketlaer?

so this:
    mount -t nfs -o nolock,udp,rsize=32768 192.168.1.120://usr/local/etc/ketlaer /usr/local/etc/ketlaer
    becomes this:
    mount -o bind /usr/local/etc/ketlaer /tmp/hdd/volumes/HDD1/ketlaer

2) Another questions; is it possible to point the /tmp/recordings to a local source or does it need the mythTV server and solely expect that. I tried to overmount my USB Drive connected to my PBO to /tmp/recordings:

mount -o bind /tmp/usbmounts/sdb1 /tmp/recordings

But this cause the PBO to crash when I selected play a video on the Hard Drive.

3) What do those export do??

export QWS_MOUSE_PROTO="usb"
    export QWS_KEYBOARD="usb"
    Can I connect a mouse and keyboard to the USB port of the PBO or is it used for remote control mapping??

I do realize that most of the problems I had were probably related to this:
    look at /usr/local/etc/ketlaer/etc/mms/Movie.config
    and set the ip etc of your mythbackend
    Check that you can make a mysql connection from other machines than your backend, follow the documentation on mythtv for setting up remote frontends.
    I don't know anything about mythTV so I need to read up on it a bit before I can test this to it's full potential. I had it running on my PC a while back when I was toying around a replacement for playonHD as an UPNP server but have since uninstalled it. I only had about 1/2 hour to spare last night to do this so very limited reading/testing was done.

Still it looks very promising; I wander if mythTV backend server is available as an mips apps .... we could then run it on the PBO and no longer require a PC .... What do you think??

Cheers !!!!

PS: I have some reading to do (mythTV).
    Last edited by snappy46; 05-12-2011 at 12:53 PM.

I thought I had it coded so if so set mythtv as false in Movieconfig it would work w/o a mythbackend but looking at my code that is not the case. Currently I have been adding some additional myth stuff to allow comm skipping to work and so I can't recompile it yet. I will fix it up hopefully this weekend so that you can then use it as a straight movie player. I think you'll be impressed. You dont need to nfs mount if you files are on a local hdd just add that path name in Movie config. The code has a lot of stuff hardwired to /usr/local/etc/ketlaer so that should be wheer the binary and libs are you could do a link (ln -s) to your code. Basically if you ls /usr/local/ketlaer you should see

/ # ls /usr/local/etc/ketlaer/
    bin images lib share
    demos include lib libc.so.0 => not found (0x00000000) tmp
    etc info man translations
    examples jmm mkspecs
    files ketlaer-mp plugins
    / #

The backend can be compiled (with pain on a mips) I did and ran it for a while on a Seagate dockstar, but I wouldn't recommend it on the oplay.

I don;t know what those exports. I am not sure that the kernel has all the right modules for a usb keyboard though I have read someone has done it. Oddly enough when I telnet in my keyboard operates the player. I haven't tried a mouse and keyboard on the pbo though.

James

I thought I had it coded so if so set mythtv as false in Movieconfig it would work w/o a mythbackend but looking at my code that is not the case. Currently I have been adding some additional myth stuff to allow comm skipping to work and so I can't recompile it yet. I will fix it up hopefully this weekend so that you can then use it as a straight movie player. I think you'll be impressed.
    Looking forward to the next release; in the meantime hopefully I will have more time this weekend to play around with this. Hope the wife goes to bed early this weekend.

You dont need to nfs mount if you files are on a local hdd just add that path name in Movie config. The code has a lot of stuff hardwired to /usr/local/etc/ketlaer so that should be wheer the binary and libs are you could do a link (ln -s) to your code. The backend can be compiled (with pain on a mips) I did and ran it for a while on a Seagate dockstar, but I wouldn't recommend it on the oplay.
    I tried to copy the ketlaer directory to my HDD last night but had issues since NTFS does not support symbolic links which exist in the ketlaer directory. Fortunately my USB Drive is formatted as Ext3 filesystem so I should be able to copy the files there. Probably just easier to copy the tar and untar from the PBO.

The backend can be compiled (with pain on a mips) I did and ran it for a while on a Seagate dockstar, but I wouldn't recommend it on the oplay.
    I find compiling anything mips on my PC (Ubuntu) is a pain; I was only successful using very simple C programs. Anything which required a lot of external libraries and contains multiple modules usually turned into a disaster. I leave that for the pro's now.

The other thing that's critical is that you have a writable temp directory. if its nfs mounted as mounted you need the root noquash option in /etc/exports otherwise root is translated to nobody and so you cant write even if it is exported r/w. the syntax to run the player is mms -u root -p your temp dir (mine is /usr/local/etc/ketlaer/tmp). I am pretty sure it crashes if it cant write files there. You should see a moviehd.dd created if all is okay. I have fixed the mythtv part so you just set mythtv false to show the files in your movie directory alphabetically. I plan to upload just the mms binary this weekend so it wont be such a big download. I am not sure how much of the /usr/local/etc/ketlaer filesystem is needed.
    As to the usb keyboard see this
    http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/f...etlaer-develop
    looks like it sit fully resolved. I also found the keyboard operates in the telnet window.

It has been a little more work cross compiling on a ubuntu pc for the mips but so far not so bad. Mysql was hard work.

I tried to edit the runtail file but it seems to always wipe the file when I try to save it from vi (very odd) and get rewritten each reboot. I am using the playon patched firmware from about a year ago. I would liek to eb ab;e to boot it directly into mms but I haven't been able to do that yet,
    James
    Last edited by jm_maclaren; 05-13-2011 at 01:57 PM.

Just a dumb question from a Linux noob, but I thought the Realtek processor in PBO is a 'Mipsel' not a 'Mips'? ...the 'el' denotes 'little endian' format? ...so if I wanted to get a cross compiler, I should get for 'Mipsel'?

yes, it is mipsel. You should get the toolchain from the asus gpl package - that worked out great for me.
    see
    http://ketlaer.git.sourceforge.net/g...7795cc;hb=HEAD

Got it, thanks! I was thinking of trying to set up this 'Scratchbox' software to do the cross compiling with: http://forum.wdlxtv.com/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=3108 ...I have an OpenSuse box to do the work on...