Thread: Possible reason for so many SSD failures (?) - Iolo System Mechanic

Default Possible reason for so many SSD failures (?) - Iolo System Mechanic

Ok, my Torqx 256 bombed a while back and I posted about it. The Inferno 240 replacement I received had been sitting in the box since I received it months ago. So, earlier this week, I decided to go ahead and give Patriot another chance. I cloned my mechanical drive and cranked the SSD up. Everything all dandy.

Then, I let Iolo System Mechanic do its thing which included fixing a drive error it detected. Not knowing if it was the SSD (primary) or the mechanical HDD (secondary), I let it do its thing.

Next boot, WHAMMO! BSOD. Reason something about potential corrupted driver. Hard booted and launched repair. Boot sector error. I think it auto fixed the problem because going into Launch Windows normally worked after that (didn't prior - just BSOD again). Same cycle had to be repeated for the next few reboots. I deleted the partition and re-cloned the disk in between. Same deal persisted. Just now, I had to F8 and start Last Known Good Configuration. Then I came here and searched for Iolo related problems.

So, anyway, I would like to know how many in the community having problems are also running Iolo System Mechanic and letting it "fix" drive problems?

More importantly, I would like Tech Support to perform some thorough testing and reply with findings. If I am right, it is an opportunity to alleviate a lot of headaches, heartaches, and user frustration.

Let us all know what you guys find!

By the way...where the heck are the firmware downloads for Inferno 240. Absolutely nothing in the download section...
    Last edited by Patriot256GB; 04-21-2011 at 11:35 PM. Reason: .

Quote Originally Posted by Patriot256GB View Post
    By the way...where the heck are the firmware downloads for Inferno 240. Absolutely nothing in the download section...
    Welcome to the club. I have the same problem. Diffrent SSD though. The damn SSD will not recover from sleep. Then, if you do put it to sleep (or hibernate) the computer sits at a black screen. Then when u reboot the pc no longer recognizes the SSD. I have to kill the power and lit it sit for it to recognize. Im hoping a fw update will fix this.

Main Patriot page click Support > Downloads > Select Product dropbox
    Pull list slide down and there are the Infernos listed.

Enjoy

I also suggest not using iolo system mechanic on your SSD.

In fact, with an SSD, the need for optimisation is much less and you should just uninstall iolo system mechanic. Given that iolo has a memory defragmenter tells me that iolo is probably taking you for a ride, as memory defragmentation is completely pointless and would generally cause worse performance (because the processor/OS is explicitly designed to handle memory in small blocks, fragmented or not)

If your computer starts reporting bad blocks on your SSD, it ussually means the SSD is deing. If iolo reports bad blocks, I wouldn't trust it.