Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Transmission BT Client installation script

Quote Originally Posted by snappy46 View Post
    It worked fine here when I tried the script so I have no idea why it would screwed up your rcS. I don't think it is the lenght of the command especially if you added the extra peerlimit; assuming you even did that to the script before you ran it; because it works fine on the command line. I think you are limited to 256 characters or is this a thing from the past..... not sure. If anyone else experience the same issue please let me know. tsk you are using medebo right ????
    I'm using Medobo. But you got me wrong. I might not explained clearly. I didn't modify install script. I have just created /usr/local/etc/opt directory , copied ipkg-cl into /usr/local/bin and ran the installation script over. rcS file was messed up without any of my intervention. Later on I have restored it from the original one (I took it from firmware, but it would be nice if installer can create backup) and modified manually. Initially I kept everything as you suggested, later on I modified port and download location (to point to default PBO download directory).

tsk are you downloading your torrent to the HDD or a USB drive. I did some experimenting today and transmission since to have issues downloading to my USB drive; it fine when the download is fast but the USB HDD (WD) goes on standby is the download rate is too low and then when there are enough data and it tries to write to the disk I get an error because the drive is not quite ready at that time to receive data.
    Yep. I'm using HDD WD So it is probably the case.

Quote Originally Posted by tskitishvili View Post
    I'm using Medobo. But you got me wrong. I might not explained clearly. I didn't modify install script. I have just created /usr/local/etc/opt directory , copied ipkg-cl into /usr/local/bin and ran the installation script over. rcS file was messed up without any of my intervention. Later on I have restored it from the original one (I took it from firmware, but it would be nice if installer can create backup) and modified manually. Initially I kept everything as you suggested, later on I modified port and download location (to point to default PBO download directory).
    Ok, I don't know what when wrong. I probably should create a back up before screwing around with the /usr/local/etc/rcS file. Added to my to do list.

Yep. I'm using HDD WD So it is probably the case.
    Actually I am very confused ; I read back what I wrote in the previous post and I don't even think it is English ....... Oh my god!!. Actually my USB HDD is a seagate 1 TB. I am also experiencing some issues right now with regards to the resume function even though I am downloading to internal HDD. I was experimenting today and add to reboot my PBO quite a few times and noticed that one of the torrent seem to refuse to resume by itself; the other do it automatically but not 1 of them I have to restart using the web interface ....... weird!!!!

I also notice today that the killall btpd command to kill btpd does not work because btpd has not been launch yet by the time the kill command is executed; I need a sleep command.

With limited global peers (60 at the moment) the transmission is very stable now. However it is very noticeable that screen saver becomes sluggish when transmission is downloading stuff.

With limited global peers (60 at the moment) the transmission is very stable now. However it is very noticeable that screen saver becomes sluggish when transmission is downloading stuff.
    I did mentioned in my first post that those are the value (60) I was using and to make the changes to 60 in the config file but it never occurred to me to insert it in the start up command ..... duh!!! Transmission was running with very low CPU resources for the 5 days it was running but when I started to restart it I notice that even with a nice value of 0 it is running at CPU 80% now. The good news is that as soon as you watch something on TV it goes down to a more acceptable CPU% level and seem to stay there even after you are done watching and things are not sluggish anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by snappy46 View Post
    I also notice today that the killall btpd command to kill btpd does not work because btpd has not been launch yet by the time the kill command is executed; I need a sleep command.
    Where to add the command?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Amowagou View Post
    Where to add the command?

Thanks
    I just add the command sleep 30 after the routine that check to see if the HDD is ready in the /usr/local/etc/rcS file. That way everything is done (HDD mount, WIFI Plugging, USB mount etc...) before launching transmission. That kind of make the routine to see if HDD is ready redundant but I decided to keep it there just in case.

Code:
    n=1
    while [ ! -d /tmp/hdd/volumes/HDD1/transmission/config ] ; do
    sleep 3
    [ \$n -gt 30 ] && break
    let n+=1
    echo '#waiting for hdd..'
    echo \$n
    done
    sleep 30
    killall btpd
    nice -n 0 /opt/bin/transmission-daemon --config-dir /tmp/hdd/volumes/HDD1/transmission/config --port 8080 --no-auth --download-dir /tmp/hdd/volumes/HDD1/transmission/download --dht --peerport 51413 -a "*" --peerlimit-global 60
    By the way starting today after many screwing around I found that a lot of my torrents just sits at 99.xx % and won't finish. Some that even have shown as finished to not pass the torrent force verify from the menu and show up also at 99.xx % completed after the force verify ??????

Anyone else experienced this.
    Last edited by snappy46; 12-13-2010 at 01:00 AM.

Many thanks for the nice job on the script Snappy. I'm enjoying it immensely.

Why not just remove bptd and unicgi in the script with

ipkg-cl -recursive remove btpd

That's what I did immediately after running it. I don't see a need for those two packages after installing transmission.

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by romei View Post
    Many thanks for the nice job on the script Snappy. I'm enjoying it immensely.

Why not just remove bptd and unicgi in the script with

ipkg-cl -recursive remove btpd

That's what I did immediately after running it. I don't see a need for those two packages after installing transmission.

Thanks again!
    Glad it works great for you; I have had some issues in the past couple of days but slowly trying to iron them out. I do not wish to remove stuff using the script since some people may want to keep it btpd for one reason or another. Now thanks to you for those that wishes to remove btpd/unicgi they now know how.

Cheers !!!!

OK, this thread is getting stickied.

Complaints about the PBO stock btpd is no longer permitted here

Thanks Snappy46, 5 stars from me for this one.
    [*]Still new..? check the wiki. [*]Your shares gone for no reason ? Create a machine shortcut. [*]Trashing the G-adapter? upgrade cheaply to N. [*]Getting the hang of it? get organized .. add share shortcuts. [*]Getting sick of it ? it never hurts to rant here [*]Wishing for the time machine? give your PBO a makeover. [*]Bricked it while doing so ? unbrick it for $5[*]Not into cross flashing? keep it semi-official [*]Too lazy to read all that ? you asked for it.[*] Thank U PBO

Reporting back on this Script, tried the newest FW (SDK 3) but reverted back to ACRBO 4318 since all of them have a nasty bug with MP3 sound and SPDIF Raw output.

Anyway, first version of the script didn't start automatically at all, had to run the "nice" line manually to start the Daemon.

But, with the newest version it's working perfectly, except that BTPD doesn't get killed at all, not with the script, not via Infosite or by command line. Solved it removing the service altogether.

Running strong since yesterday afternoon, so hats off for you Snappy.