Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Transmission BT Client installation script

Default Transmission BT Client installation script

Here a script that will install transmission on your player. To install just telnet to your PBO and issue the following command: ----- Please keep reading before you issue the command.

Code:
    cd /usr/local/etc/ && wget http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15169815/transmission-install.sh && sh transmission-install.sh
    After a trial of three days and 7 torrents download including a 10 GB torrent I am fairly confident that transmission is a viable option to download torrent using the PBO. I should mentioned that all the test have been done using the official P61 (BC16) Firmware. The test was conducted with at times 3 torrent download at the same time with speed of 300 - 400 KBsec. During the test I was able to play movies/shows, play IMS and copy file from my PBO internal HDD to a connect USB HDD without any issues.

Right now this script will only work if you have a Yaffs filesystem installed that means (P02, P04, P61(BC16) and any other firmware that aasoror has graciously put together for us. Any firmware using the squashfs filesystem will not work unless you have the directory /opt ovemounted somewhere that is writable. Also installation occurs on the /tmp/hdd/root drive hence you will need an internal HDD for this to work.

The script will run automatically and install optware if not already install on the /tmp/hdd/root/ as well as transmission bt client

It will Create the following directories

mkdir /tmp/hdd/volumes/HDD1/transmission
    mkdir /tmp/hdd/volumes/HDD1/transmission/config (Used for transmission configuration)
    mkdir /tmp/hdd/volumes/HDD1/transmission/download downloaded files goes there)

It will install all the files requires for the operation of transmission BT Client

It will modify your /usr/local/etc/rcS so that transmission can start automatically on bootup and will also kill the btpd application if it is running. ( No point of having two Bittorrent client running)

To access transmission web interface just enter on your favorite browser this: http://\<your_box_ip\>:8080

or

you could download the transmission-remote-gui for the Windows, Linux or Mac at this link: http://code.google.com/p/transmisson-remote-gui/ to control transmission remotely without the need of using the web browser.

In the even that transmission stop by itself (so far it hasn't on my PBO for the past three days you can manually issue the following command to restart it:

Code:
    nice -n 0 /opt/bin/transmission-daemon --config-dir /tmp/hdd/volumes/HDD1/transmission/config --port 8080 --no-auth --download-dir /tmp/hdd/volumes/HDD1/transmission/download --dht --peerport 51413 -a "*"
    Technically once it ran at least once you should only need this command:

Code:
    nice -n 0 /opt/bin/transmission-daemon --config-dir /tmp/hdd/volumes/HDD1/transmission/config
    You could also just turn your PBO on/off to restart it if you wish.

Also since the transmission configuration file reside on the /tmp/hdd/volumes/HDD1/transmission/config you should be able to just go to your network (Assuming PBO Samba is turn on) on your computer and be able to edit the configuration file using your favorite window,linux or Mac favorite plain text editor . I recommend that you change the global # of peers to 60 vs the default 240 and limit your speed download to 400 KBsec. Those were the settings I have currently.

Like many Hack/mod you do this at your own risk. If you find any bugs/problems please report them so that they can be investigated/fixed.

All the credit for this script goes to cipibad I only made a few changes which include the nice command to lower transmission priority when running.

If things works as well for other people as he did for me so far and if enough request I would make the appropriate changes to the script to make it possible for people with a USB HDD vs an internal to install this. I will probably make the installation of the optware on the /usr/local/etc directory and the ....transmission/downl... ....config on the USB. I just want to make sure this works really good before I do that.

Enjoy!!

Changes: 12/12/10
    - Added a sleep command to make sure that btpd do get disable (Killed).
    - Create a backup of rcS file (rcS.bak) before making changes to it.
    - Added --peerlimit-global 60 to the start up command to limit the maximum of user connection to 60.

Changes: 19/12/10
    - Optware installation now default to /usr/local/etc/opt if you do not have it already installed somewhere else.
    - If no HDD (HDD1) is found /tmp/usbmounts/sdb1/transmission/download will be configure as the download directory. (not fully tested)
    - Transmission configuration file (settings.json) now resides in /usr/local/etc/transmission/config
    - A HDD is no longer required to install transmission since it is installed on the /usr/local/etc/opt and download directory can be USB mounts. (not fully tested)
    - The run script command has been changed to cd /usr/local/etc/ && wget http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15169815/tra...ion-install.sh && sh transmission-install.sh
    - A new script (transmissionstart.sh) is now created on the /usr/local/etc and this script is launch automatically by the rcS file.

Known issues:
    - There are still a problem with the installation of optware with firmware that do not include the ipkg-cl in the firmware. I am working on it.
    Last edited by snappy46; 12-19-2010 at 05:23 AM. Reason: Changes:

Snappy my hats off to you.....in a year you have come a long way with dealing with the structure of linux and bash scripting and compiling.....very good job and always nice to see someone else fall in love with toying with linux.

Quote Originally Posted by scboley View Post
    Snappy my hats off to you.....in a year you have come a long way with dealing with the structure of linux and bash scripting and compiling.....very good job and always nice to see someone else fall in love with toying with linux.
    Thanks scboley but the good work belongs to cipibad he really did the hard part I just slightly modified his script. As for linux I have been using pretty much Ubuntu exclusively for the past 5 years but have never been as much into the linux shell / scripting until I bought my PBO. As I am sure you know already you can use Ubuntu without having to worry too much about the bash shell and only on a few occasion when clicking and cursing just does not do the trick anymore you need to resort to the shell.

Cheers!

I have rutorrent/rtorrent installed in my PBO. If I install transmission on top of it, would there be any conflicts?
    What is the easies way to temporarily suspend the operation of Rtorrent or even btpd if that is possible?

Quote Originally Posted by Amowagou View Post
    I have rutorrent/rtorrent installed in my PBO. If I install transmission on top of it, would there be any conflicts?
    What is the easies way to temporarily suspend the operation of Rtorrent or even btpd if that is possible?
    If you just remove or comment "#" the inserted line in your rcS that pertain to starting rtorrent (rtorrentstart.sh) it will disable rtorrent, lighttpd and cron from starting on start up. I will try to create an uninstall script for both of those script (rtorrent / transmission) so that everything that was installed can also be removed automatically when I have a chance. This script (transmission) already adds a line to the rcS to kill the btpd application.

Very interesting. I think this is exactly the same one I can put on my Asus RT-N13U router after flashing to dd-wrt firmware.

Here is another way to access the bt client interface: http://code.google.com/p/transmission-remote-dotnet/
    Last edited by tourist; 12-10-2010 at 04:12 PM.

Hi Snappy, as you mention this should work with firmwares modded (and kindly supplied to us) by aasoror, will this work with the Medebo??? the lack of a torrent client has kept me from upgrading to that FW.

Thanks for your answer, and for your work...

Quote Originally Posted by dr_tracker View Post
    Hi Snappy, as you mention this should work with firmwares modded (and kindly supplied to us) by aasoror, will this work with the Medebo??? the lack of a torrent client has kept me from upgrading to that FW.

Thanks for your answer, and for your work...
    As long as you have a HDD in your PBO this script will work with medebo. What I don't know about is how stable it will be on that firmware since all my testing were done using P61 (BC16) firmware. I am not sure which realtek SDK medebo has been derive from but I believe it is SDK 3.0 which is the same as P61. I have been thinking about doing the same thing but I really like the IMS video feed provided by P61. I know that those can not be added to the medebo because I already tried. Static feed like rss news, weather .... text base IMS works fine on medebo but no video feed ..... at least in the first medebo release.

Quote Originally Posted by snappy46 View Post
    As long as you have a HDD in your PBO this script will work with medebo. What I don't know about is how stable it will be on that firmware since all my testing were done using P61 (BC16) firmware. I am not sure which realtek SDK medebo has been derive from but I believe it is SDK 3.0 which is the same as P61. I have been thinking about doing the same thing but I really like the IMS video feed provided by P61. I know that those can not be added to the medebo because I already tried. Static feed like rss news, weather .... text base IMS works fine on medebo but no video feed ..... at least in the first medebo release.
    Thanks, I don't mind about the IMS feeds, I don't use any of them. I use my box mainly to play my media and download new torrents. Will try to test both the Medebo and P61 during the weekend and see how it fits me.

Adding Transmision to this equation is a big plus to me.

Quote Originally Posted by tourist View Post
    Very interesting. I think this is exactly the same one I can put on my Asus RT-N13U router after flashing to dd-wrt firmware.

Here is another way to access the bt client interface: http://code.google.com/p/transmission-remote-dotnet/

Yeah! That would also work for people using windows and that have the .net framework install. Look nice!!

By the way pretty much any of those transmission remote control apps will work with any current version of transmission. Firefox web browser even have an add-on for transmission that allows adding of torrent by just right clicking the torrent file and selecting torrent it! in the menu to start the download.