Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: P61-Beta Megapack bootcode neutral

Sorry for the noob question, am I correct in assuming that with the p61 megapack custom firmware that the only thing i have to do is put the img file on a usb then go into the settings and select firmware upgrade. I have a fresh out of the box PBO. If that is right perhaps I can run my plan past you guys to see if im out to lunch:

1 -Install firmware upgrade to PBO
    2 - use unix services for windows (xp) to create nfs share for movies that are on my server.....ip 192.168.xxx.yyy
    3 - telnet into the box then mount the nfs movie share (read how to in other forum post)
    4 - create jukebox tvixie playon2 for movie wall and sheets
    4 - now what do i need to change/add for the pbo rss jukebox to see and stream from my nfs movie share?

Thanks to all who can help......cough, cough, aasoror the forum god, cough

Quote Originally Posted by scubasteve987 View Post
    Good to go
    2 - use unix services for windows (xp) to create nfs share for movies that are on my server.....ip 192.168.xxx.yyy
    Good to go or haggle through shares and smb settings.
    3 - telnet into the box then mount the nfs movie share (read how to in other forum post)
    Just remember not to leave it set hard or it will lock the player if your share goes down.
    Probably the most difficult task listed and the facts needed to do this are quite scattered.
    4 - now what do i need to change/add for the pbo rss jukebox to see and stream from my nfs movie share?
    You have to get a utility and create a database thing for the rss jukebox to know where the movie locations are at and it's all well documented here on the forum or if you just get and load the medebo firmware you go and build your wall locations within the booted firmware and providing you have the media with the right files in it in separate folders your wall will just show up automatically and when you add new movies/shows with the screen and cover files already present it just works nothing further to do. If you go the jukebox route you have to refresh the database everytime you add more titles to it.

Default Jukebox issies

Thanks to the fine folks here at the forum, I have a much better understanding of the PBO than I did. However, I'm having a problem with the Movie Jukebox, and I can't figure out why. I've searched the forums, both here, at RFD, and at ACR, and can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

I have an internal HD, and so it should be straightforward enough to get the jukebox to work. I've ensured that the Movie Jukebox at /usr/local/etc/dvdplayer/savedrss/scripts/Movie_Jukebox/Movie_Jukebox.rss is set to ///tmp/hdd/volumes/HDD1/Movies/Jukebox/category.rss, and that the jukebox folder is there.

When I launch the jukebox from IMS, and direct it to the hdd jukebox, it shows it's working for about a minute, and then reboots.

Can anyone help me identify my error?

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the PBO forum scubasteve987.
    1. When flashing remember that the official releases doesn't come with many extras, particularly the jukebox since you mentioned here.
    2,3. I seriously dont think that this is a must, I would suggest trying NFS mounts only if CIFS mounts (PBO default) doesn't provide you with smooth playback.
    4. The jukebox setup is a nontrivial process (initially) that said it provides with a much more power and flexibility than the MedeBO (IMHO). Be sure to read the "click-by-click" guide on the wiki (thanks to Midevilshadow)

The MedeBO constraint to physically sort your media based on the categories you want to use with the MedeBO's movie-wall it to restrictive for me. I usually sort my movies based on who would be primary interested in watching them (so a folder per family member and a folder for the common stuff). The Tvixie2PlayON!HD jukebox maker allows me to create on jukebox per a family member and inside each jukebox it allows me as many views to the movies as there is templates (you can in the jukebox sort by year, genre or IMDB rating). I am not sure if MedeBO's movie wall would allow you any other sorting than the physical one.

Thats said if you media storage structure matches the MedeBO's wall then thats for sure the way to go, that said, be advised that you lose all online extras (beside shoutcast) with the MedeBO.
    [*]Still new..? check the wiki. [*]Your shares gone for no reason ? Create a machine shortcut. [*]Trashing the G-adapter? upgrade cheaply to N. [*]Getting the hang of it? get organized .. add share shortcuts. [*]Getting sick of it ? it never hurts to rant here [*]Wishing for the time machine? give your PBO a makeover. [*]Bricked it while doing so ? unbrick it for $5[*]Not into cross flashing? keep it semi-official [*]Too lazy to read all that ? you asked for it.[*] Thank U PBO

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pips View Post
    I have an internal HD, and so it should be straightforward enough to get the jukebox to work. I've ensured that the Movie Jukebox at /usr/local/etc/dvdplayer/savedrss/scripts/Movie_Jukebox/Movie_Jukebox.rss is set to ///tmp/hdd/volumes/HDD1/Movies/Jukebox/category.rss, and that the jukebox folder is there.
    - make sure you are using RSS option when building the jukebox and not the YAMJ option.
    - also make sure the POHD jukebox path in the tvixie2playon!HD is set correctly.
    - when editing the jukebox.rss file try both "rss_file:///tmp/.." or just "/tmp/.." (i.e. with and without the rss_file keyword) also not that everything is case sensitive so make sure you double check that.

Best of luck,
    [*]Still new..? check the wiki. [*]Your shares gone for no reason ? Create a machine shortcut. [*]Trashing the G-adapter? upgrade cheaply to N. [*]Getting the hang of it? get organized .. add share shortcuts. [*]Getting sick of it ? it never hurts to rant here [*]Wishing for the time machine? give your PBO a makeover. [*]Bricked it while doing so ? unbrick it for $5[*]Not into cross flashing? keep it semi-official [*]Too lazy to read all that ? you asked for it.[*] Thank U PBO

Quote Originally Posted by aasoror View Post
    - make sure you are using RSS option when building the jukebox and not the YAMJ option.
    - also make sure the POHD jukebox path in the tvixie2playon!HD is set correctly.
    - when editing the jukebox.rss file try both "rss_file:///tmp/.." or just "/tmp/.." (i.e. with and without the rss_file keyword) also not that everything is case sensitive so make sure you double check that.

Best of luck,
    Grrrrr... no joy.

Tvixie2 set to RSS
    \\venus\HDD\Movies
    /tmp/hdd/volumes/HDD1/Movies/
    /tmp/

and via telnet I've tried (both with and without rss_file://)/tmp/hdd/volumes/HDD1/Movies/Jukebox/category.rss

When I try to access the drive via IMS, after about a minute, it reboots every time, without displaying any kind of error message. If I try to access a USB jukebox (which doesn't exist on my system) An error message appears.

This suggests to me that Movie Jukebox is finding the folder on the drive, but why it won't work, I can't figure out. Ideas?

"When flashing remember that the official releases doesn't come with many extras, particularly the jukebox since you mentioned here."

-Does this mean that this megapack does not include the rss jukebox
    -When people refer to flashing does it mean this process: http://www.patriotmem.com/forums/sho...light=bootcode

"Thats said if you media storage structure matches the MedeBO's wall then thats for sure the way to go, that said, be advised that you lose all online extras (beside shoutcast) with the MedeBO."

-My media structure is x:/movies/individual movie folder/movie.avi
    -Can I just put the medeBO img on a fat32 formatted usb and use the system settings to upgrade the firmware or does the bootcode need to be changed (above linked process)
    -im not too concerned about other online content just want a UI that gives me a moviewall/sheet
    -If all it involves is putting the file on a usb then I agree that this is the best route

"I seriously dont think that this is a must, I would suggest trying NFS mounts only if CIFS mounts (PBO default) doesn't provide you with smooth playback."
    "Just remember not to leave it set hard or it will lock the player if your share goes down."

-I gave a 38GB blu-ray a test run over the network and it stalled about 10min in, so I imagine that it is a cifs issue
    -I found a code in the forums that will mount the movie folder as an nfs share on the pbo, I have to find it again and post to confirm if it will lock the player, it involved mounting first as cifs then as nfs with increased buffering

On a side note, would any of this be easier if a hdd was installed b/c thats not a problem.

Thank you everyone
    Last edited by scubasteve987; 12-22-2010 at 07:42 PM.

Here is the NFS mounting code:

mkdir -p /tmp/ramfs/volumes/NAS_Share

sleep 10

mount -t cifs //NAS_IP/NAS_Share_Path /tmp/ramfs/volumes/NAS_Share -o user=REALTEK_guest,password=Realtek_pw

umount /tmp/ramfs/volumes/NAS_Share

mount -t nfs -o nolock,udp,rsize=32768, wsize=32768 NAS_IP:/NAS_Share_Path /tmp/ramfs/volumes/NAS_Share

-Does this mean that this megapack does not include the rss jukebox
    -When people refer to flashing does it mean this process: http://www.patriotmem.com/forums/sho...light=bootcode

It has jukebox but you have to build the database the jukebox uses and can be troublesome to get working. I'm no novice to anything linux or computer oriented and it took me days to get it to work right and then I wasn't happy with how slow it operated so I looked at the mede8er wall and that was that.

"Thats said if you media storage structure matches the MedeBO's wall then thats for sure the way to go, that said, be advised that you lose all online extras (beside shoutcast) with the MedeBO."

Other than people mostly trying to watch youtube on their tv most of the RSS feeds are dead ends and very little of them ever work and I find the whole IMS worthless in it's present state it has been in over the last year. I can stream most of what is working already through my playon server which has been a decent purchase and not difficult at all to configure.

-My media structure is x:/movies/individual movie folder/movie.avi
    -Can I just put the medeBO img on a fat32 formatted usb and use the system settings to upgrade the firmware or does the bootcode need to be changed (above linked process)
    -im not too concerned about other online content just want a UI that gives me a moviewall/sheet
    -If all it involves is putting the file on a usb then I agree that this is the best route

Yes place install.img on root of a fat32 usb and have at it. You might want to eventually break the movies down to genre subfolders as you get more and more movies populated as I have 600 plus and no way could navigate with a flat folder structure.

"I seriously dont think that this is a must, I would suggest trying NFS mounts only if CIFS mounts (PBO default) doesn't provide you with smooth playback."
    "Just remember not to leave it set hard or it will lock the player if your share goes down."

-I gave a 38GB blu-ray a test run over the network and it stalled about 10min in, so I imagine that it is a cifs issue
    -I found a code in the forums that will mount the movie folder as an nfs share on the pbo, I have to find it again and post to confirm if it will lock the player, it involved mounting first as cifs then as nfs with increased buffering

I wouldn't double mount it just setup your nfs and the option you add to the mount command is soft so that if the source disappears it won't hang linux trying to recover it over and over again.

On a side note, would any of this be easier if a hdd was installed b/c thats not a problem.

Not if you had to always copy files to the pbo all the time then you'd deal with copy failures and space issues and heat. Never had a drive in mine and it all works flawless over the network.

Quote Originally Posted by scboley;33730[COLOR=blue
    I wouldn't double mount it just setup your nfs and the option you add to the mount command is soft so that if the source disappears it won't hang linux trying to recover it over and over again.
    [/COLOR]

Thank you very much for your help Steve! I will definately be going the mede8er firmware route. One last thing, hopefully, I am also no linux guru so when you say 'the mount command is soft' what would this look like?

If I eliminate the double mount then the code would be:

mkdir -p /tmp/ramfs/volumes/NAS_Share

sleep 10

mount -t nfs -o nolock,udp,rsize=32768, wsize=32768 NAS_IP:/NAS_Share_Path /tmp/ramfs/volumes/NAS_Share

Correct? Do I need to insert the word 'soft' somewhere in this command line? Would I have to mount it everytime i turn the PBO on?
    Last edited by scubasteve987; 12-22-2010 at 09:57 PM.