Thread: Modifying the GUI images

Default Modifying the GUI images

This isn't as good as customizing the actual functionality of the media player, but this will permit you to alter what images the DvdPlayer Gui shows on the screen.

First note that the DvdPlayer is picky: it wants to see all the files it expects to see in the Resource/bmp directory. Furthermore, it expects them to be the right resolution. Finally it expects them to be in the special "realtek" bmp format, but will display regular bmps, as well as png's (renamed from .png to .bmp) though there will be a slight delay loading them.

So to start skinning the DvdPlayer gui you need to know the resolutions of the files in the Resource/bmp folder.

This bash one-liner will generate a tab separated list of all the .bmp files it finds in the directory you run it.

Code:
    echo -e "filename \t width \t height";for f in `ls|grep -ie '.bmp'`; do echo -e "${f} \t" "$((`hexdump -n 4 -s 8 ${f} | cut -c8-12 | sed -e 's/ /0x/'`)) \t" "$((`hexdump -n 4 -s 8 ${f} | cut -c13-17 | sed 's/ / 0x/'`))"; done
    run in the Resource/bmp/ directory it will give an output like:
    Code:
    filename         width   height
    IMAGE_3POE_WIFI.bmp      45      85
    IMAGE_3POE_WIRED.bmp     45      85
    IMAGE_ABBAR_TRACK.bmp    782     49
    IMAGE_ABERASE_BG.bmp     926     150
    IMAGE_ABREPEAT_SETA.bmp          177     90
    IMAGE_ABREPEAT_SETB.bmp          177     90
    IMAGE_ANGLE.bmp          177     90
    IMAGE_ANGLEMARK.bmp      494     84
    IMAGE_ANGLEMARK_FOCUS.bmp        494     84
    if you want to run it on just one file:

Code:
    echo -e "width:" $((`hexdump -n 4 -s 8 IMAGE_GBROWSER_BG.bmp | cut -c8-12 | sed 's/ /0x/'`)) " height:" $((`hexdump -n 4 -s 8 IMAGE_GBROWSER_BG.bmp | cut -c13-17 | sed 's/ / 0x/'`))
    Just put whatever file or path/file in for IMAGE_GBROWSER_BG.bmp that you want.
    Let's say you want to make the background white on the browser screen.
    Make a white bmp. make 1280 wide x 720 tall. save it as white.bmp
    If you're going to full around like this, you might as well stay organized.
    Code:
    mkdir /tmp/hdd/volumes/HDD1/Resource
    mkdir /tmp/hdd/volumes/HDD1/Resource/bmp
    then copy your white.bmp over to your /tmp/hdd/volumes/HDD1/Resource/bmp.

To test it out:
    Code:
    mount -o bind /tmp/hdd/volumes/HDD1/Resource/bmp/white.bmp /usr/local/bin/Resource/bmp/IMAGE_GBROWSER_BG.bmp
    It reloads the background of the "file broswer" as white.

(NOTE: Have a video loaded as you do this- this "clears" the bmps from the memory of the DvdPlayer gui (I guess) so that it actually reads the new file--- the first time I did it while flipping throw the media player menus and the device choked)

Now the neater thing is you can also convert your own generated bmp's to the realtek native bmp, which compresses the bmp's greatly and removes all lag in image loading.

You need a linux install/virtual machine/live cd to run bmp2felics. it is a 386 (desktop pc processer) program. It won't run on the pbo because it is not a mipsel program.
    to do that, download the attached bmp2felics.zip, unzip it.
    to run it type:
    ./bmp2felics [source folder]
    where [source folder] is where you have put your own custom bmps
    then bmp2felics will generate two new folders:
    raw
    which contains a minutely altered bmp file
    AND
    rfc
    which contains your converted bmp files.

The converted bmp files are just like the ones in the Resource/bmp folder. The DvdPlayer is the only thing that display them and even then ONLY when all the conditions listed at the top of this post are met- the right names, format, dimensions, and locations.

Anyway, I don't have a terribly pressing desire to actually change the look of the gui, but I know some very well might.

A related project for the pohd can be found here.

Anyway, good stuff.

-wigout
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by wigout; 09-14-2010 at 07:56 PM.

I just stumbled upon this page:
    http://playonhd.ucoz.ru/publ/prodvin...afike/5-1-0-24
    ala google translate:
    http://translate.google.com/translat...n%26safe%3Doff

Which explains the FELICS compression and realtek's mod of it.

It also includes two programs (windows programs, runs fine under wine in ubuntu):
    bmp2rt.exe
    rt2bmp.exe
    (pages in russian-click the button on the left to download)

bmp2rt.exe makes a folder rfc in the current directory and then takes any uncompressed bmp files in the current directory compresses them and saves a copy to rfc/

rt2bmp.exe makes a folder rfd in the current directory and then takes any compressed bmp files in the current directory uncompresses them and saves a copy to rfd/

I ran the rt2bmp.exe program and can vouch for it working. The uncompressed files were still funny. My easy image browser failed to open them. GIMP was successful and I imagine photsoshop and maybe mspaint (don't laugh) will be able to view them as well.

Anyway, now it can be a two way street.

-wigout
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by wigout; 10-14-2010 at 02:36 PM.

Hello,

Thanks for the information. It seems to be what I need to do to get rid of the annoying "play / stop" square images between the files.

Could you just teach me how to get to the right directory please.

Thanks a lot,

Quote Originally Posted by ermood View Post
    Hello,

Thanks for the information. It seems to be what I need to do to get rid of the annoying "play / stop" square images between the files.

Could you just teach me how to get to the right directory please.

Thanks a lot,
    wigout has not been seen on this forum for almost a year now. I might be able to help but I am not sure what you are asking here. Do you mean telnet to the PBO??? cd = change directory. What do you mean by "get the right directory"

Maybe you are just wandering where the bmp are located??? They should be located in the "/usr/local/bin/Resource/bmp/" directory but this might differ slightly depending which firmware you are using.
    Last edited by snappy46; 03-07-2012 at 12:54 PM.

Thanks Snappy46,

That's exactly what I need. The command line to get to the folder where the bmp's are located.