Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Adding support for RaLink USB Wifi adapters..

Quote Originally Posted by teixeirap View Post
    Yeap I had a locked file (file in use) issue with the wpa_suplicant file, did a ps found that there was a process using it, killed the process then the install script completed with no error.
    If you have verified that the patch was applied, then the only thing I can think about is a chipset mismatch, which was what happened here (so you might to look more into if the chipset of the adapter is really what we assume it to be).
    [*]Still new..? check the wiki. [*]Your shares gone for no reason ? Create a machine shortcut. [*]Trashing the G-adapter? upgrade cheaply to N. [*]Getting the hang of it? get organized .. add share shortcuts. [*]Getting sick of it ? it never hurts to rant here [*]Wishing for the time machine? give your PBO a makeover. [*]Bricked it while doing so ? unbrick it for $5[*]Not into cross flashing? keep it semi-official [*]Too lazy to read all that ? you asked for it.[*] Thank U PBO

Quote Originally Posted by scboley View Post
    Go to a telnet and insmod the module manually and see what it gives or if it's already loaded with lsmod then rmmod it and then insmod it again and see what happens. You might get better feedback than the dmesg is showing.
    Thanks for the response, I actually did do that.

lsmod showed the rt2870sta module loaded.

I did a rmmod and insmod, no error seen, I tried with -v for vebose nothing yet.

when the module is already installed I get another error in the dmesg when inserting the adaptor, it is still another page allocation failure - khubd: page allocation failure. order:6, mode:0x1

I was trying to fumble arround with modprobe but ti didn't show me anything additionally.

Thanks for the response again.

Quote Originally Posted by aasoror View Post
    If you have verified that the patch was applied, then the only thing I can think about is a chipset mismatch, which was what happened here (so you might to look more into if the chipset of the adapter is really what we assume it to be).
    There are 2 versions of the adapter I have, v1 is reported to have 2870, v2 is 35xx I believe. I seem to recall that I installed on my windows machine and in device manager it was showing it loading up rt2870 drivers but I can check once more. I guess I could also try the patches for each chipset and see if one of the others work.

I don't think I want to open up the adapter to physically see what chip is in it.

I'm getting a WD-live box soon which apparently works with this adapter hopefully it will help me in diagnosing.

Thanks for the leads

If insmod didn't have any errors you would simply need to use the ifconfig command and set an address and gateway to the adapter and try it out.

im trying to install it ang get this error:

/ # wget http://stg.unixstorm.org/playon/wlan/rt2570.zip
    wget: rt2570.zip: Permission denied

My bootcode is:
    # cat /sys/realtek_boards/bootloader_version

any idea?

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabo View Post
    im trying to install it ang get this error:

/ # wget http://stg.unixstorm.org/playon/wlan/rt2570.zip
    wget: rt2570.zip: Permission denied

My bootcode is:
    # cat /sys/realtek_boards/bootloader_version

any idea?
    Are you in a BC18+ firmware ? If so you can't modify the file system (easily).
    [*]Still new..? check the wiki. [*]Your shares gone for no reason ? Create a machine shortcut. [*]Trashing the G-adapter? upgrade cheaply to N. [*]Getting the hang of it? get organized .. add share shortcuts. [*]Getting sick of it ? it never hurts to rant here [*]Wishing for the time machine? give your PBO a makeover. [*]Bricked it while doing so ? unbrick it for $5[*]Not into cross flashing? keep it semi-official [*]Too lazy to read all that ? you asked for it.[*] Thank U PBO

Default Missing files

It seems stg.unixstorm,org is no longer hosting these files.

Does anyone know where they can be found now?

http://stg.unixstorm.org/playon/wlan/rt2570.zip
    http://stg.unixstorm.org/playon/wlan/rtxxx.zip

Quote Originally Posted by rogtech View Post
    It seems stg.unixstorm,org is no longer hosting these files.

Does anyone know where they can be found now?

http://stg.unixstorm.org/playon/wlan/rt2570.zip
    http://stg.unixstorm.org/playon/wlan/rtxxx.zip
    How about actually reading the first post ?

Update:
    If the wget commands can't find the file you can download the whole package from here and extract whichever one you need.
    best of luck,

How to do verify the patch was applied?

I am running MedeBO 1026 and have two Wifi cards the monoprice branded one that works out of the box and I also got a Tenda W311U (It runs the rt2870 on Windows) The device id is: USB\VID_148F&PID_3070\1.0
    The device id is listed as supported here: http://wikidrivers.com/wiki/Ralink_RT2870

I have tried to install the drivers several times but will just get the message "Can't find SSID"

With my attempts at this I have noticed that if I try the monoprice branded one than wpa_supplicant will make a copy
    cp /usr/local/bin/wpa_supplicant /usr/local/bin/wpa_supplicant.old

however the install ./install.sh will give the error
    cp: unable to open `/usr/local/bin/wpa_supplicant.old': Permission denied

I have therefore learned that before I run ./install.sh I will check for any process running wpa_supplicant

/usr/local/etc/wlan# ps

I will then kill it using the kill command
    (of course the id is not 3216 just an example number as I can't remember any of the real ones and they are random or what had the lock from the ps command)

/usr/local/etc/wlan# kill -9 3216

Install will run fine and so does the mount -o remount,ro / command
    (I have seen a few early attempts that say it was in use)

When I plug in the RaLink USB adaptor I see on screen where it says USB WIFI stick plug in or something similar and it will let me select the wifi stuff but I just get "Can't find SSID"

I am also getting similar dmesg as teixeirap
    usb 1-1: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 2
    ################################################## #################
    [cfyeh-test] usb_set_configuration(1454)
    Don't support this usb device or don't insert correct module yet!!!
    bus_id 1-1:1.0 (config #1, interface 0)
    ################################################## #################

I noticed RT2870STA.dat is in rt2870 rt3070 rt3572
    rt2870sta.ko however is only in rt2870

I have tried both rt2870 and rt3070

rt3070 did show the USB WIFI stick plug in message as I tried that last

Is there a command that the end we need to issue to start something?

When done with telnet I would issue the command exit

I would they try going to setup on the box and then wifi
    I would also try powering off with the switch on the back of the box and then back on just to check if it needed to power cycle to load the new drivers.

Any ideas on what is going on, and how to get it working?

Default Where is wlan0?

I downgraded to P02 and upgraded to P61-Beta- (BC16+).mega.YT.4opt. Install.sh finished without errors but ifconfig still does not show me wlan0. With Windows XP the adapter works. What's wrong?