Thread: Patriot USB 3.0 ExpressCard Adapter (PCUSB3EXP) and Acomdata Tango SuperSpeed USB 3.0

Default Patriot USB 3.0 ExpressCard Adapter (PCUSB3EXP) and Acomdata Tango SuperSpeed USB 3.0

Hi

I just bought your USB 3.0 ExpressCard Adapter. When I plug my USB 3.0 external drive (AcomData-2.5" Tango SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Portable 9.5mm and 12.5mm http://www.acomdata.com/app/stx.prod...il.asp?did=132 with a 320GB Western Digital Scorpio WD3200BEVT), the enclosure led turns on but the hdd inside doesn't even start spinning.
    If I plug my wireless mouse receiver in the USB 3.0 ExpressCard Adapter it works as expected.
    Plugging the enclosure in any USB 2.0 port on my laptop works fine, so I guess it means that the enclosure+hdd receive enough power from the USB 2.0 ports but not from the USB 3.0 ExpressCard Adapter.
    I notice a 3.5mm power jack on one side of the adapter but I couldn't find any info on how to use it.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Hey there,

Please send an e-mail with your address and full shipping info to support@patriotmem.com; You can refer them to this thread. We'll get you a usb adapter for your ExpressCard asap.

Hi Patriot_Ben,

as instructed I sent an e-mail with my address and full shipping info to support@patriotmem.com but I didn't receive any usb adapter nor any feedback to my e-mail.

What are my options?

Except for my wireless mouse receiver, no other usb device semmes to work (not even a Sandisk Cruzer 4GB usb thumb drive...)

Thanks. Regards.

Hey there,

Let me look into it.

Hi Ben,

I'm having the same issue.

Can you help me?

Thanks,
    Jason.

Default usb 3.0 expresscard

This USB 3.0 Expresscard is designed for your laptop's expresscard slot, the small thin slot that's probably on the left or right side of your laptop and is found on most laptops these days. This expresscard is of the 34mm variety, and will fit into virtually any expresscard slot.

check it out:
    http://www.espow.com/wholesale-pcmci...-0-2-port.html

Quote Originally Posted by nickfrost View Post
    Hi

I just bought your USB 3.0 ExpressCard Adapter. When I plug my USB 3.0 external drive (AcomData-2.5" Tango SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Portable 9.5mm and 12.5mm http://www.acomdata.com/app/stx.prod...il.asp?did=132 with a 320GB Western Digital Scorpio WD3200BEVT), the enclosure led turns on but the hdd inside doesn't even start spinning.
    If I plug my wireless mouse receiver in the USB 3.0 ExpressCard Adapter it works as expected.
    Plugging the enclosure in any USB 2.0 port on my laptop works fine, so I guess it means that the enclosure+hdd receive enough power from the USB 2.0 ports but not from the USB 3.0 ExpressCard Adapter.
    I notice a 3.5mm power jack on one side of the adapter but I couldn't find any info on how to use it.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Having the same issue. Like the original initiator of this thread, I got the cord for the 3.5 mm power jack but have no idea what to plug it into. Also, whether there is any other action required other than plugging in a power source for the Express Card.

Have not idea what the responder had in mind who told us the ExpressCard Adapter was meant for an ExpressCard slot. We know that. The problem is laptop ExpressCard slots do not provide (mostly) sufficient wattage for USB 3.0 to work properly. Patriot acknowledged that with the inclusion of the 3.5 mm power jack and a cord to plug into it. My problem is I can't find anybody who can sell me a power supply to plug that cord into.

Maybe it's an issue that most electronics stores haven't seen that much and they just don't know the answer to what power source I can plug the adapter cord for the 3.5 mm power jack into.

If anyone out there knows where I can but a power source to plug this cord into so my Patriot USB 3.0 ExpressCard Adapter will work properly with my USB 3.0 drives that would be appreciated.

Please note, be sure to download and install the latest drivers (for Windows released on "Station" on September 21, 2011). Otherwise on my machine the screen will lock up and/or bluescreen the computer. The latest drivers appear to fix that problem but not what to plug the power cable into.

Any help greatly appreciated.