Thread: How do I initialize my SSD drive for use?

Default How do I initialize my SSD drive for use?

Today I purchased the SSD drive, Bios See its, Windows 7 see's its. Device Manager see's it along side my 2 other Sata drives with the names - No errors, Device is working properly, driver for win 7 is current but I cant use it.

It has no Disk Drive Lable. I cant get access to it

I have Sata drives both as C: and E: and where is the SSD Drive?

This is my setup.

MB - MSI NF980-G65
    O/S - Win7 32bit

How do I get it to work?

I attached a picture of what everything looks like.

Some help would be great. Thank you.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Click the start button>right click computer>click manage>click disk management>then right click the drive in the list>select create new simple drive>follow the instructions and perform "quick format"

Done and done! Everything is working.

Thank you very much.

Patriot Ben - I've seen this question a lot. Suggest Patriot add that step to the installation instructions in the box, and post it as a sticky here.

i wish i could be so lucky. seems like same symptoms, swapped 120GB patriot inferno in place of HDD2 in my win7 notebook, win7 saw it and "installed" it whatever that means, it shows up in Device Manager but i can't access the drive - it doesn't show up in My Computer

Acronis can also see it and read its size, but crashes after a couple of seconds trying to clone my C-drive to it.

tried right-clicking and selecting Manage but that function doesn't work - it flashes and nothing happens (program disappears) so i can't use that route to format the or initialize or whatever the magic missing process is

any other suggestions?

It's not recommended to use cloning programs on SSD's. Could you try doing a clean reinstall and see if you still experience the same issues.

Quote Originally Posted by doug0000 View Post
    i wish i could be so lucky. seems like same symptoms, swapped 120GB patriot inferno in place of HDD2 in my win7 notebook, win7 saw it and "installed" it whatever that means, it shows up in Device Manager but i can't access the drive - it doesn't show up in My Computer

Acronis can also see it and read its size, but crashes after a couple of seconds trying to clone my C-drive to it.

tried right-clicking and selecting Manage but that function doesn't work - it flashes and nothing happens (program disappears) so i can't use that route to format the or initialize or whatever the magic missing process is

any other suggestions?