View Poll Results: Knowing how easy and cheap it is to build one, a standby switch mod on the PBO is ..

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • A must have.

3 12.50%
  • Nice optional addition.

13 54.17%
  • Not needed.

7 29.17%
  • Don't care.

1 4.17%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: si1verfish's Standby Power Button the PBO should have been born with ..

Lightbulb Adding a Standby Button to the PBO

The problem is PBO doesn't have a power (standby) button instead it has a power switch.

Luckily the standby button switch is available (unconnected) on the PBO main board, you only need to add the physical swtich.

First you need to locate the switch (credit to wigout and snappy46):

Remove the PBO from its metal enclosure (you can turn the board over no need remove the fan mount, check snappy46 pic) and locate switch SW3 on the PBO board.

Then follow the steps below (credit to si1verfish)

Quote Originally Posted by si1verfish View Post
    The Standby Power Button the PBO should have been born with...

I ended up using these ($1.50/each):

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062546

It's not the coolest button out there, but for the price it works for me. It is also one of the only readily available mini switches I've found that will actually fit in the extremely limited space.

Specs:
    shaft diameter 3/16" (hole drilled = 7/32")
    body diameter 1/4"
    mounted body length 3/8" (portion exposed inside PBO cavity - not incl. terminals)

The switch leads should be shortened slightly and wires soldered at 90 degree angle (covered w/ heat shrink) to fit nicely in this position. I also took about an 1/8" off the actual button for a lower profile. Other than that, it's a very simple, 30 minute mod and it works flawlessly.

It's also nice that it doesn't interfere at all with my channel mod. *Just be careful drilling the hole - it's about the only thing you can mess up. I should mention, the Radio Shack specs say "mounts in a 3/8" hole", that is typical RS and absolutely wrong. It would fall through a hole that large.

FINAL UPDATE: For the "finished" switch I just mounted the nut on a bolt, turned/sanded on a regular drill (poor man's lathe), and sprayed black. Some duct tape covering the teeth of your needle-nose pliers prevents scratching the finish when installing. Adds another 10 minutes + drying time to the project.
    Last edited by aasoror; 06-19-2010 at 03:21 AM.
    [*]Still new..? check the wiki. [*]Your shares gone for no reason ? Create a machine shortcut. [*]Trashing the G-adapter? upgrade cheaply to N. [*]Getting the hang of it? get organized .. add share shortcuts. [*]Getting sick of it ? it never hurts to rant here [*]Wishing for the time machine? give your PBO a makeover. [*]Bricked it while doing so ? unbrick it for $5[*]Not into cross flashing? keep it semi-official [*]Too lazy to read all that ? you asked for it.[*] Thank U PBO

Quote Originally Posted by aasoror View Post
    si1verfish's...
    It's not mine, I just drilled a hole.

It's not mine, I just drilled a hole.
    The pics is yours .. beside its too late, even if I did change 1st post title, the thread title can't be changed, you are stuck with the thread for ever
    [*]Still new..? check the wiki. [*]Your shares gone for no reason ? Create a machine shortcut. [*]Trashing the G-adapter? upgrade cheaply to N. [*]Getting the hang of it? get organized .. add share shortcuts. [*]Getting sick of it ? it never hurts to rant here [*]Wishing for the time machine? give your PBO a makeover. [*]Bricked it while doing so ? unbrick it for $5[*]Not into cross flashing? keep it semi-official [*]Too lazy to read all that ? you asked for it.[*] Thank U PBO

This one is only possible because of wig & snap's "Standby Switch Firmware Recovery" breakthrough. They're the real architects.

http://www.patriotmem.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3939

I'm not going to take credit for stolen material. I'll leave that to the Rolling Stones.

Now clipping the lead on the obscenely bright standby LED - that was all me!
    Last edited by si1verfish; 06-17-2010 at 05:49 AM.

I'm not going to take credit for stolen material. I'll leave that to the Rolling Stones.
    I would suggest that you re-read the OP, the material is indeed credited properly.

First you need to locate the switch (credit to wigout and snappy46):
    The follow the steps below (credit to si1verfish)
    That said, and as per your request, I have just revised the OP title to "Adding a Standby Button to the PBO".

Mods: can you kindly edit the thread title to match the revised OP title ?

I would suggest that you re-read the OP, the material is indeed credited properly.
    woh, just joking around. Your crankiness has been duly credited.

It was paint by numbers. That's all I'm saying.

Poll answer: it's a "nice addition" if you want a standby power button as featured on all your other AV devices (the existing switch essentially unplugs the unit), and you want a easy unbrick recovery option... it's also 100% "not needed" and likely a warranty killer.
    Last edited by si1verfish; 06-18-2010 at 01:59 AM.

The finished product....
    Attached Images Attached Images

The finished product....
    OP updated, thanks si1verfish

Now where is the measurements you promised ?
    Last edited by aasoror; 06-18-2010 at 12:36 AM.

Now where is the measurements you promised ?
    You're slipping my friend - they were posted in an update to my original instructions yesterday.

You're slipping my friend - they were posted in an update to my original instructions yesterday.
    lol, sorry about that, never thought to check the original thread esp since no new posts were made there.

OP updated, thank you si1verfish