This should work to revive a bricked PBO as a result of a failed firmware update (wont work if the bootcode is corrupted though).
credit to wigout and snappy46.
Follow the PlayON emergency recovery procedure as outlined below:
The problem is PBO doesn't have a power (standby) button instead it has a power switch (which the PlayON doesnt have and is equivilant to the power cable mentioned in 3 and 5)
If flashing fails, you can try to recover unit by using safe-mode:
1. Extract install.img from ORIGINAL .zip file
2. Copy install.img to the root directory of a USB flash drive and connect it to PlayOn!HD
3. Disconnect power cable from PlayOn!HD
4. Press the power button and HOLD it
5. Connect power cable from PlayOn!HD
6. When you see the screen saying firmware is being flashed, you can release power button
7. Now PlayOn!HD will reboot and start flashing, so DON'T DO ANYTHING!
Luckily the standby button switch is available (unconnected) on the PBO main board, so you will have to do step 4 and 6 manually.
Here is how:
Remove the PBO from its metal enclosure (you can turn the board over no need remove the fan mount, check snappy46 pic).
Locate switch SW3 on the PBO board.
The follow the steps below
tonytx just confirmed it worked for him.
Originally Posted by snappy46
Best of luck.
Originally Posted by aasoror