Thread: How to properly clean up Corza's print server queue

Question How to properly clean up Corza's print server queue

Hey there folks,

I have found that somehow my Corza's print server functionality has gotten constipated.

When printing from any Windows platform, jobs will get properly queued by Windows, but are stuck behind existing jobs on the print server. Just to be sure, I stopped and re-started the print spoolers on each of my Windows machines, and checked to insure that the "..\windows\system32\spool\printers" directory is empty. They are, but all machines still display the same 5 documents stuck (with the same five dates) in the print queue.

As such, I assume that the issue lives on the Corza.

The first thing that I did was connect to the Corza via a web broswer and look for a menu command that would flush the print queue. There are no controls apart from the menu option to enable the print server.

I then connected via telnet and started to poke around. I eventually found that there's stuff in the "/var/spool/lpd/lp" directory that has dates which correspond with the dates being reported by the Windows print spoolers. COOL.

Now the only question is how to properly clean up the print queue.

I have re-booted the Corza, which did not resolve the issue. Back in the old-school UNIX days, there used to be a command called "lpc" which was used to administer the jobs controlled by "lpd". I've spent a bunch of time trolling around to whatever "bin" directories that I can find, but I can't find that command or anything else that looks like it might work.

Any ideas on what the correct thing to do would be?

Thanks in advance for any help that you can provide....
    /dzmyth.

Thumbs down

I just tried disabling the Print Server functionality, re-starting the Corza and re-enabling. Stopped and re-started the Windows print spooler at the same time.

No luck. All windows platforms still report the same jobs and the files remain in "/var/spool/lpd/lp".

Thanks again in advance for any help that you can provide.
    /dzmyth.

Question More details

Here's the contents of the "/var/spool/lpd/lp" directory:

corza-nas> ll
    -rw------- 1 daemon daemon 4139556 Apr 4 17:25 dfA084corza-nas
    -rw------- 1 daemon daemon 647 Apr 4 17:26 hfA084
    -rw------- 1 daemon daemon 5 Apr 4 17:25 unspooler.pr
    -rw------- 1 daemon daemon 0 May 2 12:35 lock.pr
    -rw------- 1 daemon daemon 0 Jan 17 21:02 fifo.lock.localhost.localdomain
    -rw-rw-rw- 1 root root 9057 Apr 4 17:26 status.pr
    -rw-rw-rw- 1 root root 0 Dec 19 13:14 status
    -rw------- 1 daemon daemon 11 Apr 4 17:25 control.pr
    drwxrwxrwx 3 root root 4096 Dec 19 13:14 ..
    drwxrwxrwx 2 root root 4096 Apr 4 17:26 .
    corza-nas> pwd
    /var/spool/lpd/lp
    corza-nas>
    I suppose I could just try deleting the obvious files, but I'd prefer to be a bit more cautious than that.... Not sure if "admin" can delete files owned by the daemon directly....

Comments?

Thanks again for any help that you can provide....
    /dzmyth.

Hey there Dzmyth, I haven't run in to the same issue you're experiencing. Normally, it's the Windows print queue that needs cleared out via the printer icon at the bottom right (on my desktop) of the explorer window.

If Corza is refusing to clear its own queue, it sounds like a definite glitch. I'll see if I can come up with something.

Quote Originally Posted by dzmyth View Post
    Hey there folks,

I have found that somehow my Corza's print server functionality has gotten constipated.

When printing from any Windows platform, jobs will get properly queued by Windows, but are stuck behind existing jobs on the print server. Just to be sure, I stopped and re-started the print spoolers on each of my Windows machines, and checked to insure that the "..\windows\system32\spool\printers" directory is empty. They are, but all machines still display the same 5 documents stuck (with the same five dates) in the print queue.

As such, I assume that the issue lives on the Corza.

The first thing that I did was connect to the Corza via a web broswer and look for a menu command that would flush the print queue. There are no controls apart from the menu option to enable the print server.

I then connected via telnet and started to poke around. I eventually found that there's stuff in the "/var/spool/lpd/lp" directory that has dates which correspond with the dates being reported by the Windows print spoolers. COOL.

Now the only question is how to properly clean up the print queue.

I have re-booted the Corza, which did not resolve the issue. Back in the old-school UNIX days, there used to be a command called "lpc" which was used to administer the jobs controlled by "lpd". I've spent a bunch of time trolling around to whatever "bin" directories that I can find, but I can't find that command or anything else that looks like it might work.

Any ideas on what the correct thing to do would be?

Thanks in advance for any help that you can provide....
    /dzmyth.

just rm the files in /var/spool/lpd/lp and restart the daemon or the corza. they did not include enough tools to 'properly' manage the queue.

Welcome BadIntentions. (Name doesn't reflect his persona.) He's just expressive, good friend online in my IRC channel. He'll probably help a lot of folks out in here with his NAS-hack expertise.

Give that a try and see if it helps.

Default "/var/spool/lpd/lp" is cleaned up....

Thanks for your replies!

just rm the files in /var/spool/lpd/lp and restart the daemon or the corza. they did not include enough tools to 'properly' manage the queue.
    I did this and it seemed to clean up the "/var/spool/lpd/lp" directory":

corza-nas> pwd
    /var/spool/lpd/lp
    corza-nas> ll
    -rw-rw-rw- 1 root root 0 May 3 07:13 status.pr
    -rw-rw-rw- 1 root root 0 May 3 07:13 status
    -rw-rw-rw- 1 root root 0 May 3 07:13 control.pr
    drwxrwxrwx 3 root root 4096 Dec 19 13:14 ..
    drwxrwxrwx 2 root root 4096 May 3 07:13 .
    corza-nas>
    Now I have to re-start my Windows print spoolers and see how it goes. I'll have a chance to do more this evening. I'll let you know how it goes....

Thanks again!
    /dzmyth.

Quote Originally Posted by dzmyth View Post
    Thanks for your replies!

I did this and it seemed to clean up the "/var/spool/lpd/lp" directory":

Now I have to re-start my Windows print spoolers and see how it goes. I'll have a chance to do more this evening. I'll let you know how it goes....

Thanks again!
    /dzmyth.

Guess it worked