View Poll Results: Knowing how easy it is, are you going to attempt a bootcode update on your own ?

Voters
207. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sure.

153 73.91%
  • Never.

9 4.35%
  • Only as an unbricking attempt.

45 21.74%
Page 3 of 54 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: PBO Bootcode Update (TFTPD/LAN Free) Under $6 and Under 666 Seconds

Quote Originally Posted by wigout View Post
    When I had trouble getting the realtek rom monitor to respond to the esc button, it was because of the "flow control" setting. Once I set if to "no" or "off", the esc button was recognized.
    Thanks Wig
    I will double check the setting but I am pretty sure I had it set correctly. Maybe it returned to default on me with one of my wire switches or something.

Quote Originally Posted by cableman2288 View Post
    Thanks!!

I bricked my PBO with Xtreamer firmware. I can see the language selection screen, but can't move past it. Also, is the no vertical sync because the box defaults to PAL output?
    If you have your serial cable you can recover from that easy- but it sounds like you don't.

Do you have telnet access stil?

If yes try this:
    get a fat32 usb with your pbo firmware image on it at root. Plug it in.
    telnet in.
    then
    Code:
    kill -6 1
    That will tell the system (in a roundabout way) to look for a firmware update (on the usb or at an internet address) for a flash image and start to update.
    I can verify this will work on a pbo running a pbo firmware- but you've got the xtreamer on there so:

An alternative "internet" based approach is outlined here:
    http://minimodding.com/SystemRescue#comments
    h t t p://minimodding.com/SystemRescue#comments
    (You shouldn't need the rescue bat file, because you're not looping, though running the /usr/bin/stopall at step 3 would probably be good)

Anyway, in the mean time perhaps you'll get your logitech to work with the xtreamer firrmware.

-wigout

Quote Originally Posted by outatouch0 View Post
    Here is where it breaks down for me. I do not get the Realtek Rom Monitor. I really don't get anything. Globule's way came up instantly for me. (Had other issues though via his method so I tried this one).
    How long should it take for it to come up with this method?
    Instantaneously, you might want to decrease the speed of the port to 57600 (in both device manager and the HT connection settings), there is also buffering settings that you can play with to increase port stability (from the device manager)
    Also I notice the "file" "edit" "transfer" menus do not respond to the mouse.
    Is there anything I should be doing with hyperterminal? I have it in a folder, within my downloads folder. Does it need to be in system 32 folder?
    Nope there is nothing more, if its instability issue with HT and you got Globule solution work (i.e. putty) then just check how to use the Ymodem-G protocol to send a file with putty and use the same "load command" mentioned here.
    Are we renaming the bootcode file here as per Globule's method?
    nope we aren't, we are choosing it regardless of the name, I am guessing also that Globule's method didn't mandate renaming, it was more of a convenience because the file name is included in the command (the longer it is the more you have to type).
    How does the above command know how to find the file on my computer?
    The "load command" doesn't know about the file, it just tells the PBO to get ready to receive a file and tell it also where to place it.
    The "transfer -> send file" is the one responsible for sending the file.
    Any special place we need to put the bootcode file or will it have me browse to it?
    nope, you will be get to browse for it.

I bricked my PBO with Xtreamer firmware.
    You might want to try rebooting with a firmware as outlined here, the bootcode is responsible for the emergency recovery and should pickup the image regardless of the firmware installed.

BTW, I left the box running (with Xtreamer F/W) for a while and noticed (through the rolling) that it had went to screen saver. When I shot it with the Harmony, it brought it out of screen saver...
    It beats me too, 2.1.something was last hacked firmware to work with harmony remote, on the other hand the harmony remotes are still working fine with the latest Xtreamer firmware on the Xtreamer hardware ?! my only guess that they have implemented some kind of hardware checking before executing the IR commands (thats might explain that the screen saver thing .. which means that the firmware is actually receiving signal from the remote)

Great Thread!
    Sticky Please.

Thanks for great thread.

I have an old nokia cable, but he has only 3 wires out, there is no 3.3v wire. If do not connect the 3.3v port on the PBO, will it work in the same way, or something needs to be changed in workflow?

Quote Originally Posted by aasoror View Post
    Instantaneously, you might want to decrease the speed of the port to 57600 (in both device manager and the HT connection settings), there is also buffering settings that you can play with to increase port stability (from the device manager)

Nope there is nothing more, if its instability issue with HT and you got Globule solution work (i.e. putty) then just check how to use the Ymodem-G protocol to send a file with putty and use the same "load command" mentioned here.

nope we aren't, we are choosing it regardless of the name, I am guessing also that Globule's method didn't mandate renaming, it was more of a convenience because the file name is included in the command (the longer it is the more you have to type).

The "load command" doesn't know about the file, it just tells the PBO to get ready to receive a file and tell it also where to place it.
    The "transfer -> send file" is the one responsible for sending the file.

nope, you will be get to browse for it.
    Thanks for your replies.
    Was thinking doing it with putty in a similar/same way you described was the next step but it was late and I was too tired. Tired thus probably missing something right in front of me in the first place anyway. Will try again today

[/LIST][*]Type the following command at the prompt to load the bootcode file (press Enter when done)[/LIST]
    Code:
    load -b asc://tty0 0x80100000
    • When you get the message to dump the file, transfer the bootcode bin file to the PBO using the Ymodem-G protocol (from the Transfer menu)

Ok I have got to the point of entering the load command into Putty
    Code:
    But now all I get is CCCCCCCCCCCCC like you have in your picture above but no message to dump/transfer. I have 15+ lines of "CCCCCCCC..." and still going.
    At this point I am guessing it is not going to work?
    Oh well never simple for me lol

Hopefully stopping this does not brick my PBO - fingers crossed

Quote Originally Posted by hzor View Post
    Thanks for great thread.

I have an old nokia cable, but he has only 3 wires out, there is no 3.3v wire. If do not connect the 3.3v port on the PBO, will it work in the same way, or something needs to be changed in workflow?
    It will work in the same way, you just need to check the proper wire assignment, and no need to connect VCC. (check this section that talks about 3 wire CA-42)

Just notice that there is only two nokia cables that have serial usb connections (DKU-5 and CA-42) and other nokia cable wont work.

Ok I have got to the point of entering the load command into Putty
    Code:
    But now all I get is CCCCCCCCCCCCC like you have in your picture above but no message to dump/transfer. I have 15+ lines of "CCCCCCCC..." and still going.
    At this point I am guessing it is not going to work?
    Oh well never simple for me lol

Hopefully stopping this does not brick my PBO - fingers crossed
    The "CCCCCC..." means the PBO is just waiting for your file, thats what I meant by checking how to send file with the Ymodem-G protocol using putty. This is the step you are now missing.

Nope I don't think this will brick your PBO because you haven't sent anything to it.

you might want to decrease the speed of the port to 57600 (in both device manager and the HT connection settings)
    Whew... Just tried that and thought I bricked it...
    redid at 115200 and the realtek monitor came up again... 2 lines of CCCC's now and counting...
    Last edited by outatouch0; 04-18-2010 at 03:57 PM.