View Poll Results: Knowing how easy it is, are you going to attempt a bootcode update on your own ?

Voters
207. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sure.

153 73.91%
  • Never.

9 4.35%
  • Only as an unbricking attempt.

45 21.74%
Page 2 of 54 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: PBO Bootcode Update (TFTPD/LAN Free) Under $6 and Under 666 Seconds

Quote Originally Posted by jamaroney View Post
    Looks tempting!

But, remind me, please - what are the advantages of the newer bootcode? I seem to have no issues with my present bootcode - should I simply leave well enough alone?
    specifically old bootcode was related to the 650GB, 1TB HDD incompatibility, and slower spinning fans (I can confirm that my fan is still spinning at the 12v after the update )
    More importantly if you into firmware cross-flashing then you are more likely to need this to unbrick your PBO *just in case*

Quote Originally Posted by jamaroney View Post
    Looks tempting!

But, remind me, please - what are the advantages of the newer bootcode? I seem to have no issues with my present bootcode - should I simply leave well enough alone?
    Definitely something you need to consider. For me, I am certainly fixing something that isn't broken (yet). My thinking is I would like to get some practice so I know how to do it. This way I can learn it at my leisure and still have use of my PBO. That way when the new P05 firmware update comes out in 2015 I will be prepared in case I brick it.

Job well done!

Just a quick question, the serial port on PBO side it is 5V TTL level or 3.3V signal?

Thx!

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey View Post
    Job well done!

Just a quick question, the serial port on PBO side it is 5V TTL level or 3.3V signal?

Thx!
    3.3V output, so the PBO is powering the nokia cable in this setup.

Hello aasoror,

Your instructions are great. Since in the poll you offer a choice "Only as an unbricking attempt", maybe it make sense embed unbricking instructions right into section IV so that readers would not need to follow the links to find that info. BTW. I have ordered the cable

Guys,

Since I had already ordered this cable (yet to be delivered): http://cgi.ebay.com/FTDI-USB-To-RS23...item53df073e56 before I saw this post, could someone please tell me if it will do the same thing (provided I use the appropriate USB/Serial drivers)?

Thanks for the info and great screenshots aasoror!!

Quote Originally Posted by cableman2288 View Post
    could someone please tell me if it will do the same thing (provided I use the appropriate USB/Serial drivers)?
    Yup, its the very same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by tskitishvili View Post
    maybe it make sense embed unbricking instructions right into section IV so that readers would not need to follow the links to find that info.
    Done, (on the side notes section)
    Last edited by aasoror; 04-18-2010 at 03:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by aasoror View Post
    II. Serial Cable Preparation (under 4 minutes):
    • cut the CA-43 cable and strip the part of it.
    • strip the wires inside the cable (depending on the specific cable manufacturer you might find different arrangement than the one below)
    • The wires are color coded as the following:

Code:
    BLACK --> GROUND
    RED --> VCC
    WHITE --> TXD
    GREEN --> RXD
    Quote Originally Posted by The Globule View Post
    The pins are marked on both the device and the PBO and it is easy to connect with a four pins cable (I had to remove the ground pin from the connector to match the lay out of the device pins):

3.3V to 3.3V
    Gnd to Gnd
    TXD to RX
    RXD to TX
    Notice that depending on your converter you might need to:
    - not connect 3.3V pint (if the converter is USB powered)
    - swap RX and TX if the above mapping doesnt work (depending on how the converter defines the TXD and RXD, usually there is not enough documentation that comes with the converter)
    I tried all of the above configurations. I do not get the Light on the front to light up, indicating connection, without the 3.3V connected to the VCC pin on the PBO.
    The light does come on for TXD to RX & RXD to TX as well as TXD to TX and RXD to RX. Since I have the same USB/TTL as Globule mine should connect the same way as he indicated. I mention this just to let you know I tried this as a troubleshooter already and same effect both ways.

IV. Bootcode update (under 5 minutes)
    • Open MS Hyper Terminal (or get it from here)
    • Create a new connection with the same setting as the serial cable COM port settings (115200,8,N,1,N).
    • connection should now be open (with a time counter at the status bar)
    • At first hyperterminal would go "(not responding)" in 4 seconds. Then I figured out this is not a Vista program and set it to run in compatibility mode (WinXP) under properties. I seemed to have success with that as the timer would continue past 4 sec. and appear not to lock up...

• holding the Esc key switch the PBO on
    • You should now be connected to the Realtek Rom Monitor
  9. Quote Originally Posted by aasoror View Post
    Here is where it breaks down for me. I do not get the Realtek Rom Monitor. I really don't get anything. Globule's way came up instantly for me. (Had other issues though via his method so I tried this one).
    How long should it take for it to come up with this method?
    Also I notice the "file" "edit" "transfer" menus do not respond to the mouse.
    Is there anything I should be doing with hyperterminal? I have it in a folder, within my downloads folder. Does it need to be in system 32 folder?

• Type the following command at the prompt to load the bootcode file (press Enter when done)

Code:
    load -b asc://tty0 0x80100000
    Are we renaming the bootcode file here as per Globule's method?
    How does the above command know how to find the file on my computer?
    Any special place we need to put the bootcode file or will it have me browse to it?
Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

When I had trouble getting the realtek rom monitor to respond to the esc button, it was because of the "flow control" setting. Once I set if to "no" or "off", the esc button was recognized.

Thumbs up

Yup, its the very same thing.
    Thanks!!

I bricked my PBO with Xtreamer firmware. Had the AC Ryan/PlayOn F/W working (with YAMJ), but couldn't leave well enough alone. Any progress on why the Harmony remote won't control it (with Xtreamer F/W)? I can see the language selection screen, but can't move past it. Also, is the no vertical sync because the box defaults to PAL output?

BTW, I left the box running (with Xtreamer F/W) for a while and noticed (through the rolling) that it had went to screen saver. When I shot it with the Harmony, it brought it out of screen saver...

• Page 2 of 54 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast