Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: PS-100 Official Update

Default Newbie questions...

Just got the PS-100 yesterday and installed Windows 7. I want to upgrade the SSD firmware, but the PDF instructions on the Patriot download page are not viewable or downloadable. I've searched the forums, but can't seem to find this basic thing, so first question...

Question 1 -How to upgrade the firmware? Link?
    Question 1b - How do I findout the current firmware version?

After viewing the forums, I noticed everyone uses ATTO Disk benmark, so I tested it out. Peak scores were around 210 read & 70 write. I benchmarked my old HDD also and it peaked at 60 & 60. Yet, it doesn't seem translate into 3 times the speed when booting & opening programs.

Question 2 - Can I upgrade the firmware without reinstalling Windows 7? If not, is it worth upgrading the firmware since I'm getting decent speeds?

Thanks! Sorry for the newbie questions, but I gotta start somewhere and I'm getting frustrated.

Quote Originally Posted by Patriot_Ben View Post
    raider73,

Run a bench with ATTO and let me know what your bench scores are?
    http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads...ark_v2.46.html

What kind of mobo and o/s are you using?

After formatting to 3.005 did you perform a fresh install or was it a cloned image?

What capacity drive do you have and how much of it is used?
    Drive died this week. It was intermittently working for the last month. I didn't use it much since this was a spare netbook that I only use when traveling. Powers on for about a minute and then shuts itself off-tried it on 2 different laptops and 2 different SATA docks w/ same result. Already contacted Patriot support and am now awaiting RMA number and instructions to return for replacement. I'm really disappointed by this drive--doesn't seem reliable and the firmware upgrade process is a freaking joke. Good thing this was my spare travel netbook and not my main laptop. I've only had experience w/ *** but you don't lose data when you upgrade firmware on their SSD. W/ this PS-100, you lose all data and I have to physically take the drive out of the laptop, open up my desktop and connect the drive, and then upgrade firmware, put back into laptop and then reinstall everything. Doesn't make much sense.

Hi all!
    Im a total rookie when it comes to SSD's, so I would like to ask you, more experienced users a simple question: is PS-100 64GB (with 3.005 firmware) a good choice for system disc? Will it be significantly better than, lets say, two HHDs 7200 in RAID0? Thanx for any help

I notice a new firmware out 3.011. Anyone tried this firmware? Any comments here in the forums from Patriot on this firmware?

The most important feature for 3.011, updates overall performance of the drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Patriot_VL View Post
    The most important feature for 3.011, updates overall performance of the drive.
    Thanks for your reply! And I must say how awesome Patriot is for continued support of this drive.

Yes, I noticed that. I was just fishing to see if anyone had tried it yet. I plan to try it; but, I need to set aside several hours to wipe it and re-install my OS.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydeedz View Post
    Thanks for your reply! And I must say how awesome Patriot is for continued support of this drive.

Yes, I noticed that. I was just fishing to see if anyone had tried it yet. I plan to try it; but, I need to set aside several hours to wipe it and re-install my OS.
    No problem! Well when you do get a chance, back up all your data and update the drive. The new firmware should give a nice not huge but little bump in performance for that drive.

Here are my results w/ the 3.011 Firmware. I also had a Win Performance rating of 7.3.

I'm having an issue with the drive and the newest 3.011 firmware under Linux. (Haven't tested windows)

The main question is what should I be doing differently?

The following is a basic test that shows 13.4 MB/s write rates. Furthermore, this causes the system to become sluggish, and unresponsive.

It is mounted by the following line in /etc/fstab
    UUID=f0dbde21-f585-4f35-a91e-4f75ff62913b / ext4 discard,noatime,usrquota,grpquota,user_xattr,error s=remount-ro 0 1

and the partition starts at sector 2048 according to sysfs
    local@jager:/sys/dev/block/8:0/sda1$ cat /sys/dev/block/8:0/sda1/start

Benchmark
    local@jager:~$ dd if=/dev/zero of=tempfile bs=1M count=1024
    1024+0 records in
    1024+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 80.2878 s, 13.4 MB/s

HDparm info from the drive

local@jager:~$ sudo hdparm -i /dev/sda
    [sudo] password for local:

/dev/sda:

Model=Patriot PS-100 64GB SSD, FwRev=VER3.011, SerialNo=F1480716120800001467
    Config={ Fixed }
    RawCHS=16383/16/63, TrkSize=0, SectSize=0, ECCbytes=0
    BuffType=unknown, BuffSize=unknown, MaxMultSect=1, MultSect=1
    CurCHS=16383/16/63, CurSects=16514064, LBA=yes, LBAsects=125045424
    IORDY=on/off, tPIO={min:120,w/IORDY:120}, tDMA={min:120,rec:120}
    PIO modes: pio0 pio3 pio4
    DMA modes: mdma0 mdma1 mdma2
    UDMA modes: udma0 udma1 udma2 udma3 udma4 udma5 *udma6
    AdvancedPM=yes: disabled (255) WriteCache=enabled
    Drive conforms to: Unspecified: ATA/ATAPI-4,5,6,7

* signifies the current active mode

Hi Spenser309,

Can you test with Windows just to cross-verify the performance?

What is the make and the model of the motherboard/system you are using?