Thread: Patriot Blaze 60GB SSD Performance Issues & TRIM Questions

Default Patriot Blaze 60GB SSD Performance Issues & TRIM Questions

For a good number of years I was using an old patriot 32GB first-generation Sata-II SSD on an intel LGA-775 system For OS (Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit), with 3 x 7200 rpm drives in raid-0 for extra storage. This worked okay but then just recently (december 2014) a friend of mine gifted me a used Intel dual-socket LGA1366 xeon SuperMicro motherboard for xmas gift and I've moved to that, then yesterday my local Fry's Electronics had a modern Sata-III Patriot SSD on sale for $35 and I went and moved up to that one. On the older SSD, I was having bottleneck problems frequently. Like, just browsing IMGUR for example, about every 10th image I clicked on, would cause the old SSD to sit there and "pause" making the system totally unresponsive for 30-45 seconds randomly.

Well, the new Patriot BLAZE 60GB SSD solved all of my "random pausing" problems, and it's generally a little bit snappier, and things open and close faster and so Overall for $35 I'm pleased and it's great.

HOWEVER! There are a few small issues I would like to bring up and see if someone here can assist me with this.

First off I wanted to discuss TRIM. I know Windows 7 supports TRIM natively and is supposed to, but this is my first time using a "modern" SSD and I want to make sure this one lasts and make sure TRIM is on. I never thought to look with my older one.. but with the new one, I want this one to last because it's nicer now.

So I downloaded a copy of Hard Disk Sentinel and clicked on the SSD and to my surprise, it says TRIM is supported, but disabled. So I set about last night googling to try and figure out how to get it enabled.

First here's the sentinel program:

You can see it says TRIM is Disabled, as well performance is listed at 80%, I'll discuss that further in this post.

Things to mention: The onboard SATA controller is ICH10R, and is currently in RAID mode, to support the 3 x 7200 rpm drives in raid-0 for extra storage on this system. I do not know if that matters, do I need to have it in AHCI mode just to get TRIM working?

Things I have done: I found from googling something about the "fsutil behavior set disabledeletenotify" option in Win7 is supposed to toggle TRIM on or off. So I've tried it in both positions "0" and "1". It was 0 first, when the program said TRIM is disabled, so I tried 1, and rebooted, and the program still says TRIM Is disabled in both positions. So either that doesn't work or something else is wrong here.

I don't know and I need suggestions on TRIM.

Second portion: Speed Performance.
    I'm getting pretty low performance from this BLAZE 60GB SSD on this system and I don't know why or what's causing it. And before you go in to saying "It's SATA-II! You're not going to get full speed!" I know I won't get the full 500 MB/sec this drive is rated for, but I should get -A LOT- more than what I am seeing. A good friend of mine has a samsung pro 256 GB drive on Intel x58 desktop platform (Same platform era, and same ICH10R as me) and he gets a full 400 - 450 MB/sec on Sata-II, I've seen the hdtune screenshots over screen share with joinme. So Sata-II is possible of doing more with SSD's.

But my Patriot Blaze is only getting 70 - 110 MB/sec on this system. I think there's something wrong with it or I have the system configured incorrectly some how.
    See here:

And It's not my system, I also have my raid-0 array of 3 x 7200 rpm Sata-II 8MB Buffer western digital mechanical drives that runs faster than this SSD on the exact same system:

So I'm not sure what the deal is. Is my SSD drive defective?

Also, Do I need the drive to be in AHCI mode for full speed? And TRIM Support too? I have a large single hard drive here, I could re-install windows and take the RAID out and instead move to BLAZE-SSD + 1 large drive. I just need someone to tell me if that will solve my issues first, because it would be a lot of time and work.

Also, an after-thought. My CPU's in this system are 2.13 Ghz i7 Xeons (Essentially a pair of i5's together.. they're the really cheap cpu's that do not have hyper-threading). My friend with the samsung pro has a 6 core chip and overclocked to 4.6 ghz. Does CPU speed effect what I'm getting in throughput to slow down this drive this far?

See my chips here:

Overall I'm happy with the IOPS performance, and the BLAZE drive does solve the pausing problem I had so I won't be returning it, it works great for what I needed. I'm just worried it will die prematurely without TRIM, and wondering if there's just something simple I can change with software to get the performance higher without spending any money on other hardware.
    Last edited by kithylin; 01-24-2015 at 06:09 PM.

I've switched it over to AHCI mode and got TRIM enabled, and speed is a little faster. It still seems awfully slow even for SATA-II / 3 Gbps. Anyone got any further ideas?

I think this forum is almost dead. I have posted a reply with some clean links and after 24 hours my message is still under moderation... Or moderator took a vacation perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by bogdan View Post
    I think this forum is almost dead. I have posted a reply with some clean links and after 24 hours my message is still under moderation... Or moderator took a vacation perhaps?
    Perhaps it was over the weekend? they don't work but business hours... 8-5 mon-fri typically like all other businesses, usually including the forums.

I am aware of Mon-Fri business hours and I don't think it was over the weekend If the message won't appear soon I will try to retype it with no links...

48 hours without moderation. I bet you have already figured all that out

HDS display performance 80% for any SSD without working TRIM. It has nothing to do with actual SSD speeds.

The initial requirements for RAID-0 TRIM support were as follows:

A 7-series chipsets motherboard or higher
    Intel's Rapid Storage Technology (RST) for RAID driver version 11.0 or greater
    Windows 7 or newer

I am not sure about 7-series chipsets limitation, maybe it is possible to have TRIM working for RAID0 array on older chipset but you would have to test it yourself. For sure you have to have proper Intel driver (and the SSD connected to Intel port). You can consider checking for BIOS update but you should backup your RAID data before any major changes I think.

I believe that ICH10R southbridge has SATA-II ports only so in case your mobo has SATA-III ports most likely thay can be controlled by Marvell controller. I don't know if the Marvell drivers support TRIM in RAID0 at all.

To make sure the TRIM is enabled in OS you shall execute following command in command prompt

fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify

the result should be DisableDeleteNotify = 0 you are interested to see "0" there

As for the speed performance:
    It is not possible to get 400 - 450 MB/sec on Sata-II. I would suggest using different benchmarks than HDTune for evaluating SSDs. While it can show quite accurate speeds for HDDs it shows all weird speeds for any SSD I have (SandForce driven, Marvell diven, Phison driven) - basically it shows unreliable data for me, I have verified that with different software.
    Try using AS SSD Benchmark, CrystalDiskInfo and ATTO.

Post AS SSD Benchmark and ATTO screenshots.

Thank you for all your thoughts and information.

After switching to AHCI mode, and running the command and rebooting, I finally got TRIM enabled, step 1 good!
    See here:

And to solve the "losing secondary storage from switching from INTEL RAID to AHCI (3 indiviual disks) I switched it over to Windows Striped Array, or AKA Software Raid. It was just a raid-0 storage spot, so that doesn't matter. And performance of that array went up from 182 MB/sec to 305 MB/sec, so worked out better there, too.

Then running AS SSD it showed up "31K BAD" on there and suddenly I had that face-palm moment when I forgot to check partition alignment! I already own a copy of paragon alignment tool, from years ago, It just totally slipped my mind to go check it. Turned out yep, the partition for my SSD was mis-aligned and I ran tool and fixed it.

Here's the results now:

This is far more like what I was expecting, and looks right about in-line with what I expected from Sata-II now. All looks good now.

Thanks for all your ideas, and I got it fixed now and working properly.

Very useful information, kithylin. Thanks for sharing!