Thread: Can PBO play an DVD from PC-CDROM?

Default Can PBO play an DVD from PC-CDROM?

Hello

new commer concerning this product and entire Patriot community, i have LynksysCisco DMA2100 which is enough for basic home user but have few flaws! Can't play mkv, srt, vob, sub and ...

Looking for new player that can plays all but wondering can this player PBO play directly from DVD ROM ? I can clearly see that can play vob sub files but only from hard disk, my question is simple

Any advice from experienced users?

greetings from Bosnia & Herzegovina

Default DVD drive 'will' share to the PBO (If!!!)

I configured my Windows 7 PC to share/play DVD's from from one of my PCs' optical drives through "NET/WorkGroup" some time ago

I don't remember the exact instructions as how I did it because it was a trial and error method until it finally worked and was shared to the PBO - but you do have to share the drive with "everyone"

Also - there had to be some sort of content playing at the time I accessed the drive or it would not share/connect and I would get the "NET User ID/Password" pop up

Also - most users experience the fact that this type of content will not play well with a wireless N (or G) connection (myself included) - it will stutter and freeze immediately if using the "Original DVD content" - but this may have more to do with the encryption than the wireless connection - I've never tested 'original DVD content' over a wired connection - maybe other forum members can chime in and tell you if a wired connection will play the original DVD content over a wire - but I still believe it may have more to do with the encryption protection
    I have used BD Rebuilder to shrink content down to DVD-9 size and it plays fine as an m2ts file -- I can view Blu-Ray content from a 27Gb BD squeezed down to 7.7Gb DVD9 from my PC's DVD optical drive without a single stutter/freeze over a wireless N connection using a Linksys N router and a Linksys N Bridge connected to the PBO via a 5 port Linksys 10/100 switch - and it sounds very good over my 5.1 audio system

Greetings from the USA - welcome to a great member supported forum

Quote Originally Posted by djile{BiH} View Post
    Looking for new player that can plays all but wondering can this player PBO play directly from DVD ROM ? I can clearly see that can play vob sub files but only from hard disk, my question is simple
    +1 @ gmd024.

To clarify ..

The PBO doesn't support direct connection with optical (USB) drives.
    That said, it will play it over the network from a shard optical drive because it would be the same as playing from any other share on the network.

Region free DVDs will play no problem over the network, copy protected DVDs will need decryption software running (anyDVD) on the host PC while the PBO is accessing the VOBs.

The PBO will run VOBs over wireless and wired networks stutter free and without any problems (its still SD at the end of the day).

Hope that helps,

Thanks for the 'fill-in' info aasoror - it clarified some details I was uncertain of

and Happy Easter

Quote Originally Posted by gmd024 View Post
    Thanks for the 'fill-in' info aasoror - it clarified some details I was uncertain of

and Happy Easter
    No problem,
    Happy Easter to you too