Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Here's a Random/Shuffle Playlist Creation Program

Thanks GaryM for the update
    Works well for me.

My only issue is, it names the file _@name.m3u
    but i have a batch file that renames the file without the _@

I have another question but i don't know if this can be done.

Can this script target mp3 ID tags?
    What i mean here is

If i have say a load of unsorted MP3's but have there id tags set with there Genre info would it be possible to have the scrip target the genre and only list those files in the play list or is this going to far?

Just another idea i was having regards MP3's and making specific play lists.

Regard
    Yrth

Quote Originally Posted by yrthilian View Post
    My only issue is, it names the file _@name.m3u but i have a batch file that renames the file without the _@
    It's a breeze to change the default playlist file naming, yrthilian. Just go down to line 59 of the script beginning with the text PLFilename = "_@" & etc, and put any legal characters within those quote marks that you prefer as a prefix to the folder name (or even nothing if the folder name itself is suitable). I especially like the underscore because the linux file system on the PBO sorts underscores to the end of a directory listing (instead of the beginning, as in Windows). So when you navigate into a directory that has a playlist file, you may have to scroll down past a lot of folders just to get to the first file, but if you scroll up instead, you'll always be at the end of the directory after the second press of the "up" button (so quick).

If you've already written a batch file that is expecting a uniform filename (as the program used to produce), you can replace that entire line of the script with something like this:
    PLFilename = "_RandomPlayList.m3u" (what I had used in the previous version)

I have another question but i don't know if this can be done.

Can this script target mp3 ID tags?
    What i mean here is

If i have say a load of unsorted MP3's but have there id tags set with there Genre info would it be possible to have the scrip target the genre and only list those files in the play list or is this going to far?

As for basing the playlists on metadata from tags, that is beyond the scope of this simple script. Sorry about that, but I'm glad you still like the program. I use it myself, and even stole Si1verfish's idea to automate the reshuffling of the playlist. I reshuffle every hour on the hour, using Windows Task Scheduler. Virtually every time I load the playlist, it has a different order from the previous time. This reshuffling would be a lot less necessary if players like the PBO could remember their place on a playlist between sessions, which would be ideal.

again GaryM thanks for the quick reply.

I am loving this script right now.
    Pitty about the the tags but hey i can work with that

Yeah that was my plan to use the script with task scheduler
    that way it is automated pretty much to how i want it.

At this stage with a simple batch file and task scheduler.
    I have like over 30K mp3's but only really use a small amount of them

Now i have to see how my media play handles the whole thing
    but i am sure it will be fine with it.

Ok a little stuck.

I realized if i copy the play list out it breaks the play list
    silly me forgot this would happen.

So the script creates the play list based on target folder
    can i have the play list put into the root folder
    while using /s switch.

if so were do i make the change
    I know i can do if i dont use the /s in my command file.
    but i want to be able to do it without the prompt.
    The folder i wish to use is static

c:\music

I wish to have all playlist located in a single folder
    and then music in other folders

Example

Playlist
    c:\music\PL.m3u
    c:\music\PL2.m3u

Music

c:\music\albums
    c:\music\rock
    c:\music\Clasic

Thanks for the help

This deserves a link in Wigout PBO best threads post...

I added it to the PBO General section.

So the script creates the play list based on target folder
    can i have the play list put into the root folder
    while using /s switch.

if so were do i make the change
    I know i can do if i dont use the /s in my command file.
    but i want to be able to do it without the prompt.
    The folder i wish to use is static

c:\music

I wish to have all playlist located in a single folder
    and then music in other folders

Example

Playlist
    c:\music\PL.m3u
    c:\music\PL2.m3u

Music

c:\music\albums
    c:\music\rock
    c:\music\Clasic

Thanks for the help
    Indeed, yrthilian, as it's currently programmed, you can only specify a non-default location and name for the playlist in interactive mode (Explorer "SendTo" target), through the dialog that comes up.

So the mod you'll need to make is on Line #84, where the original code is...
    PlayList = Target & "\" & PLFilename
    it should be changed to...
    PlayList = "C:\Music\" & PLFilename
    which will fit your specific directory structure.

This change will put any playlist created in Silent Mode into the "C:\Music\" folder, and it will normalize all the pathnames of the playlist entries to that location, for use on the PBO or any other network media player. If you want custom playlist names like the "PL.m3u" and "PL2.m3u" in your example, you can either modify the script further or handle it in your own batch file using the "RENAME" command.

Personally, I create all my playlists in interactive mode, and only use silent mode when I automate the periodic reshuffling of an existing list. That way I avoid the hassle you're going through in automating the creation of brand-new playlists.

BTW, when I saw your example ("c:\music"), it dawned on me that I had been using a text comparison function in one section of the program that was case-sensitive by default, and "c:\music" was definitely not equal to "C:\Music." I changed the code to explicitly use the case-INsensitive version of the function, and the updated script is available at the original link. The difference really only matters when executing using command-line syntax, and should give you the flexibility to enter wrong-case pathnames.

Cheers to all with the stamina to read this far

If you give the ACR fware a looksee it has shuffle in it native. Look at the acryan manual and you see a simple remote button pushed 3 times switches between standalone shuffle and some other option I can't remember.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryM View Post

So the mod you'll need to make is on Line #84, where the original code is...
    PlayList = Target & "\" & PLFilename
    it should be changed to...
    PlayList = "C:\Music\" & PLFilename
    which will fit your specific directory structure.
    Ah i knew it. I was just being blind

I forgot to put in the " "
    Thanks very much for your help. This script has helped me learn a lot and is fin to play with to figure out how it all works.

Thanks again for the getting back to me so quickly

yrthilian, if you're into geeky things like scripting, check out this freeware program:

http://www.garymarks.com/snl_pnames/index.htm

I wrote it several years ago, and find it extremely useful for grabbing the full pathname of any file or folder and copying it to the Windows clipboard for later pasting into a script.