Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Bootcode update step-by-step process

I already have a Harmony remote I use for all my system

I would like to use the Mede8er MED500X Firmware but I have read somewhere that it does not run on other brands.

Quote Originally Posted by The Globule View Post
    I already have a Harmony remote I use for all my system

I would like to use the Mede8er MED500X Firmware but I have read somewhere that it does not run on other brands.
    I have checked and it seems that Mede8er has the same 1073DD chipset as the PBO, as a matter of fact, Mede8er reps claim 128MB Flash and 128MB Memory, thus the flash size is just half the flash size of the PBO (not sure that might contribute to the incompatibility but usually the problem would be with the PBO firmware not fitting on the Mede8er memory)

Their latest install.img is merely 35MBs, I guess you can always recover if you cant update it. (seems from the change log they might be locking to their own hardware though)

Quote Originally Posted by aasoror View Post
    I have checked and it seems that Mede8er has the same 1073DD chipset as the PBO, as a matter of fact, Mede8er reps claim 128MB Flash and 128MB Memory, thus the flash size is just half the flash size of the PBO (not sure that might contribute to the incompatibility but usually the problem would be with the PBO firmware not fitting on the Mede8er memory)

Their latest install.img is merely 35MBs, I guess you can always recover if you cant update it. (seems from the change log they might be locking to their own hardware though)
    I just downloaded their latest firmware and will look into it but what I read before is that their firmware checks the platform in the bootcode.

I just downloaded their latest firmware and will look into it but what I read before is that their firmware checks the platform in the bootcode.
    True, I think from that change log it seems they were having problems implementing that feature..
    Mede8er Change Log V2.01
    -- 25 December 2009
    128M-HMC-M03I-20091225-v7.0.7.r2892_SANJIA_QA20091208_USB
    * Changed code on Mede8er security to fix “Invalid Hardware message”
    They might have fixed it, removed or you might be lucky with earlier firmware version.

Default Bypassing Medi8ter HW check ..

- open the image file (I use 7-zip)
    - locate a file named install_a (apparently this one has the protection code).
    - Replace with another file from any firmware that supposedly has no protection.
    - People reported success with install_a from ACRyan version v1757, I think that install_a from our PBO should work as well (+ if it has any protection code it would compatible )
    - repack and install.

Note that this will bypass the hardware check that is done prior to the install, some reported that you would still get "invalid hardware message" after rebooting the box, those reports were before the release of V.2.0.1 and I think this was the bug meant in the changelog.

Wouldn't hurt to try ..
    here is the linux commands in case you would prefer it (replace the image and folder names with the correct ones)
    cd AC1757; tar -xvf install.v1757.img
    cd medi8tor; tar -xvf install.medi8tor.img
    cp ../AC1757/install_a install_a
    rm -f install.medi8tor.img
    tar -cvf install.medi8tor.img ./*

I tried to flash the latest firmware version of Mede8er but after reboot I had a scrambled message on video composite port (PAL) and no picture on the HDMI.

I had to rescue with P02 version.

I will try some more tomorrow

I tried to flash the latest firmware version of Mede8er but after reboot I had a scrambled message on video composite port (PAL) and no picture on the HDMI.

I had to rescue with P02 version.

I will try some more tomorrow
    OK this is good, you are getting the default PAL SD screen. If you have the remote codes uploaded on your harmony there should be a button named "TV System", this should eventually get you NTSC. Being south african based product it does make sense for it to be defaulting on PAL.

Good job, keep us updated

p.s. which install_a version have u used ?

I used the original firmware file so I will put the Mede8er codes in my remote today and try again.

Now that I am all setup, with the Widows Hyper Terminal saved PBO connection, It takes me less than a minute to put the PBO back in rescue mode...

Thanks for updateing the bootcode procedure Globule

as for the cross firmware flashing... now things are beginning to get interesting again

I used the original firmware file so I will put the Mede8er codes in my remote today and try again.

Now that I am all setup, with the Widows Hyper Terminal saved PBO connection, It takes me less than a minute to put the PBO back in rescue mode...
    Good job indeed !!!

Which cable did you end up using ? I have Nokia serial cable which is supposed to work according to the links you have provided.

I'm contemplating myself to try Xtreamer firmware.