Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: forget the root password

Quote Originally Posted by kermit View Post
    use uart to fix the passwd question.
    uart ..? this UART ?

Yes.

That is serial port, if you open the box, you can see four pins connector close to the fan, rx,tx,vcc,gnd. If you have a RS-232 chip, you can connect it with pc's serial port. On hypertermial, set 115200bps, 8-N-1. You can see a lot of funny message.
    Last edited by kermit; 02-26-2010 at 05:34 AM. Reason: answer assoror's question

Yes.

That is serial port, if you open the box, you can see four pins connector close to the fan, rx,tx,vcc,gnd. If you have a RS-232 chip, you can connect it with pc's serial port. On hypertermial, set 115200bps, 8-N-1. You can see a lot of funny message.
    Thanks for the reply. Which cable did you use ..? all the cables that I could find were either 9 pins or 25 pins.

use uart to fix the passwd question.
    cd /usr/local/etc/
    vi passwd
    The first line should be:
    root:x:0:0:root::/bin/sh

just delete the "x"

Then you can login in.

Maybe because I dont install the sata driver, there are a lot of "watchdog test pid 205, threshold: 50" message on hypertermial , I need print the screen for reference after I enter the vi passwd cmd.

good to know and glad you fixed it.

Just an idea here:

When you flash the PBO with a different version, that resets all your settings.
    I quick fix could be to flash it back to old then new version of the software.

You need a rs-232 chip to convert serial port electronic signal to TTL signal, You only need 2 signals TX and RX to connect with PBO.
    I use 9pins cables connect to my little uart board, this board has a rs232 chip to convert the singal level. From this board I connect it with PBO with 3 signals, TX,RX and GND. For the uart board need independ +5V DC power supply.

Quote Originally Posted by aasoror View Post
    Thanks for the reply. Which cable did you use ..? all the cables that I could find were either 9 pins or 25 pins.

You need a rs-232 chip to convert serial port electronic signal to TTL signal, You only need 2 signals TX and RX to connect with PBO.
    I use 9pins cables connect to my little uart board, this board has a rs232 chip to convert the singal level. From this board I connect it with PBO with 3 signals, TX,RX and GND. For the uart board need independ +5V DC power supply.
    so this would work ?

Wow, wish I knew what any of that meant lol
    At least we are finally getting some movement on this subject

... For the uart board need independent +5V DC power supply.
    I assume the boards with USB connection (listed above) do not need extra power. Am I right or wrong ?