Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: forget the root password

Default forget the root password

I set the root password, but now I can't remember it , how to reset the root password in PBO?
    I can't telnet it anymore!

Quote Originally Posted by kermit View Post
    I set the root password, but now I can't remember it , how to reset the root password in PBO?
    I can't telnet it anymore!
    don't think you can without reflashing the firmware.

I try to update the firmware, It can be updated, but this dont clear the root password.

interesting...

the root file system (/) is read-only mounted, /etc/passwd is where usually store your password, but if / is read-only, you can't set/store password there. so your password must have been stored somewhere else, check /usr/local/etc see if there's a file name "passwd", if there's, rename it (mv passwd passwd.bak) and reboot to try.

note: just a suggestion, i hold no responsibility for anything.

edited: sorry, how dumb i'm.. forgetting you'r locked out. try to remove your internal hd then reflash. or install a new internal drive to try.
    Last edited by supergizboy; 02-25-2010 at 07:07 PM.

Currently, I don't have internal hard driver.
    But as a root, you have the right to write the /etc/passwd

since you're locked out, only way to get in is via jtag, the serial port built-in, I think you need to get a serial, or make one yourself, then use hyper terminal to connect to it, but again, might ask you for the password there too.

you might want to send support an email for this, I'm very interesting to know how too.

edited: 2nd thought, have you tried reset it back to default on the gui?

Thanks for your opion, I just open it and see there are uart connector, maybe I need try it first.
    If I can't unlock myself, I will send an email asking for support.

good luck.

it's not perfect, but a pretty fun box. so far i'm happy with it. wish they open up more on the source codes that people can build some homebrew apps to run on it.

now i'm home telnet'd into the box looking around, i don't really where the password is stored, there suppose to be a /etc/shadow file, don't see it, and btw, /etc/passwd is soft like in /usr/local/etc/passwd, which /usr/local/etc/ is mounted as rw and / ready-only. still looking around.

use uart to fix the passwd question.
    cd /usr/local/etc/
    vi passwd
    The first line should be:
    root:x:0:0:root::/bin/sh

just delete the "x"

Then you can login in.

Maybe because I dont install the sata driver, there are a lot of "watchdog test pid 205, threshold: 50" message on hypertermial , I need print the screen for reference after I enter the vi passwd cmd.