Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: M28 Windows 7, FirmWare, TRIM, Optimizations, Etc...

Quote Originally Posted by turqoisegirl08 View Post
    I'm using the PartedMagic method to secure erase my disk. I have a 256gb Patriot Torqx and it's
    Been 4 hours and 30 minutes since I've started. How long is this going to take??? I'm wondering
    if changing mobo AHCI to Compatibility Mode would have sped this thing up??!!! Would I hurt the
    the SSD if I turned off the laptop and tried the Compatibility Mode method??? I'm using this on
    a Lenovo T400 that has SATA II speeds so what am I doing wrong??!!
    Something is definately not right... Following the instructions as I posted them should only take a few seconds! Are you formatting rather than Secure erase???????????
    U only want to SE it.... See if the drive is in a frozen state...

It did mention something about the SSD being in a frozen state before I chose to proceed. I've just stopped it. I figured it should not take this long as a platter HDD finishes in less time than this!

Would you recommend me using your method? I have the thinkwiki page that your link opened up and printed it. I also have a couple of Linux disks. Those command lines look linux. Would they work in a Ubuntu 10.04 Terminal???

Edit:

I just went back and read your instructions at Page 1. I'm going to boot up the partedmagic cd again and look for that black box. Is that something like terminal in ubuntu?
    Last edited by turqoisegirl08; 01-09-2011 at 03:34 AM.

Okay I'm showing frozen when I run the command in LXTerminal. I've tried quickly pulling and pushing the SSD while OS is running.

I do have a question here. Does it matter if I use the OS in mem or whether I use the LiveCD??? I'm not sure if it works like an Ubuntu disk where the OS runs off the CD.

I've tried putting the laptop to sleep with my Fn+F3 command and it won't sleep.

Any suggestions? I also can't get my wireless to work so I can respond quickly while on partedmagic. I'll try hooking it up directly via ethernet cable to the router. I've been using a Blackberry to type messages so it's very inconvenient that way

Quote Originally Posted by turqoisegirl08 View Post
    Okay I'm showing frozen when I run the command in LXTerminal. I've tried quickly pulling and pushing the SSD while OS is running.

I do have a question here. Does it matter if I use the OS in mem or whether I use the LiveCD??? I'm not sure if it works like an Ubuntu disk where the OS runs off the CD.

I've tried putting the laptop to sleep with my Fn+F3 command and it won't sleep.

Any suggestions? I also can't get my wireless to work so I can respond quickly while on partedmagic. I'll try hooking it up directly via ethernet cable to the router. I've been using a Blackberry to type messages so it's very inconvenient that way
    Boot parted magic. Select mempory. When it is done booting, unplug the SSD cable for 3 seconds whilt the OS is still running. Plug it back in. It is now unfrozen and can be secure erased. No internet or wireless needed.

I used a LiveSD card of Ubuntu 10.04 to boot up. I then ran
    Code:
    hdparm -I /dev/sda
    in Ubuntu terminal. It showed "Frozen." I remembered to try sleep. This wouldn't work on my Thinkpad T400 with PartedMagic. I tried it with the LiveSD Ubuntu card and my laptop went to sleep mode. I then hit the Fn button and it came back on.

I immediately went into Terminal and ran the hdparm command again. This time it showed "Not Frozen." I went ahead with the ATA Secure Erse wiki documentation and followed through with the commands. I used the Eins temp password and I think I succeeded. One thing that confused me was a line that mentioned "not supported: enhanced erase."

I wanted to attach the results of my Terminal (command line) session but my doc file exceeds the 19.5kb limit! I'll get back when I figure what to include and leave out.
    Last edited by turqoisegirl08; 01-10-2011 at 06:28 AM. Reason: clairty

It always says that unsupported thing.. But you succeeded. Congrats!

Not bad for a noob eh

Hi everyone.I have patriot torqx m28 64gb.In the last couple days i installed my world of tanks game on the ssd.And games stutters.Before it was rare.But today 3 times in 20 minutes.Also my heaven 2.0 bench is stuttering.This is from my smart.

Quote Originally Posted by magic-man View Post
    Next, we need to make sure our ATA/ATAPI ACHI controller is set to use trim.
    EDIT! 3/22/10: The new INTEL chipset drivers 9.6.0.1014 support TRIM! Use these instead of the MS AHCI ones for Intel Chipsets.
    http://downloadcenter.intel.com/deta...&DwnldID=15251.

For NON intel chipsets:
    To see/change it, go to device manager and select IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers. If it says "Standard AHCI 1.0 Serial ATA Controller", you are good to go. If not, double click it and select the driver tab. Click update driver. Select browse. Select let me pick. select Standard AHCI 1.0 Serial ATA Controller.
    My motherboard is ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z & cpu intel i7 2600k. i get an error when trying to update driver from ATA Channel 0. I get an error "the device cannot start. code 10"

the device cannot start. code 10.jpg

Now for some things we can do a number on it to avoid unnecessary writes to the SSD. Windows 7 is on the event logs I've seen. If you have problems, I would not change the logging options. If not, then stop, we can write that much, frankly, just an engineer will (not to mention the basic event logs).
    For / admin tools, and choose to start Performance Monitor. Fold data collector sets. Click Start Event Trace Sessions.
    With the exception of the following newspapers required (Application, Security, System, Security Essentials), we can not prevent it from starting. Allows To do this, right click on each individual with the State (except those listed above) and select Properties. Click the Session Trace tab. Clear the Enabled. Click OK. Repeat for the other (including ready-boat).