Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mac support? HFS

Default Mac support? HFS

Hey guys, i just picked up the box office, and while i DO own a PC, it's largely just collecting dust in the corner. So what's the best option for running this thing with a Mac? My hard drives all tend to be formatted as HFS+ as a result of being a mac owner, and the PBO doesn't seem to recognize it.

suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by CLARKETRON3000 View Post
    Hey guys, i just picked up the box office, and while i DO own a PC, it's largely just collecting dust in the corner. So what's the best option for running this thing with a Mac? My hard drives all tend to be formatted as HFS+ as a result of being a mac owner, and the PBO doesn't seem to recognize it.

suggestions?
    Is there a SAMBA or NFS server available for Mac ? If all else fails I think you can get a UPnP sever running on your Mac

Edit .. ok here is something along the lines ..
    Configuring samba server in Mac OS X Leopard
    Mac OS X as an NFS Server
    Last edited by aasoror; 02-16-2010 at 06:22 AM.

to be clear - i have external hard drives that i just want to put my movies on and plug into the back of my PBO. however, MAC doesn't natively format NTFS, only HFS+

I'm kinda indifferent about streaming the movies as i've got a couple extra external hard drives kicking around.

my ideal solution would be for PBO to support HFS+ obviously haha

+1 on hfs+ support. My WDTV supports it (not journalled)

MAC doesn't natively format NTFS
    That is only true if you have an old pre OS X machine. I know from experience that you can format fat32 and NTFS from 10.4 onwards. Not sure for before, but I'm going to assume anything from 10+ can.

That said MAC can only natively WRITE to HFP(+) and FAT32, with only the ability to READ NTFS. Google MAC and NTFS-3G to get an installer that will add NTFS writing capabilities (FOR FREE) to your macintosh.

And yes, I know, there is much resistance in any MAC lover to make a drive that will touch a MAC NTFS format

The only alternative as aasoror stated is to get samba server or nfs running on your mac and share the external HFP+ drives over the network.

Yup, I was in the same situation and obviously FAT32 won't work for large files. So, until patriot adds HFS support, just grab Macfuse:
    http://code.google.com/p/macfuse/

It's really solid and the price is right.

awesome - i'll try this when i get home

thanks!

I have to say I'm extremely disappointed with the PBO's inability to support HFS drives. NTFS 3G's read/write times are atrocious and FAT's 4gb file cap is a nuisance.

I really hope this is resolved asap. Had I known this, I probably wouldn't have made the purchase.

are you using a mac then? i would have been more frustrated, but I found that you can do SMB shares by downloading SharePoints. it's free and it works perfectly. now i just stream from my mac, and since the mac can handle HFS+, it's turned out to be a pretty sweet setup.

would have been annoyed too if i hadn't figured this out.

Ya, I'm a mac user. I initially went with FAT and the only problems were the file size cap and it would take a few minutes to load my movie list.

I just grabbed a new drive and tried the NTFS route. Dealing with NTFS-3G is a huge pain; the read/write times are just ridiculous.

Think I'm headed back to FAT.

this has something to do with the busybox kernel, has anyone actually tried?

mount -t hfs <sth, sth> or
    mount -t hfsplus <sth,sth>